Buck forage oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
    I rarely post an answer unless I have quite a bit of hands on experience and have done a fair amount of research on my own.

I take the time to post something of value (my time, my work done on my dollar) only for people to turn around and want to believe something they read on another forum from another state written by people they have no clue about?

Just pointless to post almost.

I do not have a stake in any any seed companies, archery products or deer breeding or deer breeders.

What I have done is spent a lot of time on these subjects, direct side by side comparisons AND I have results to prove what I am saying. I am not spewing an opinion or talking about something I tried once or something someone else says. I am only stating facts that are provable and have postive results.

I get tired of people giving advise that really have no clue and no basis for what they are spewing out.

If someone did something and wanted to say it didn't work for them or wanted to explain why it didn't work or why something else worked better that is great. I have yet to see this on most threads and certainly not on this thread.

All in all, if someone is going to give you some advise on something they should have something to back it up, not a link to another site written by people in another state. Or maybe that is just way too logical?
    I kind of figured as much I understand where your coming from. I just wanted to ask....

Comment

Just another sugestion plant a plot with regular oats one with BFO and one with plot spike oats. I bet they like the plot spike oats best. Easy test.

Comment

When should I plant the buck forage oats in Johnson County?

Comment

Originally posted by ecfire1967 View Post
          When should I plant the buck forage oats in Johnson County?
          now

Comment

I mowed to the ground, and drug the dirt bare 3 weeks ago and planted a bunch of stuff. After this rain I'm gonna rake, overseed, and fertilize the same dirt frida...planting back to moisture. Surely SOMETHING will grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I mowed to the ground, and drug the dirt bare 3 weeks ago and planted a bunch of stuff. After this rain I'm gonna rake, overseed, and fertilize the same dirt frida...planting back to moisture. Surely SOMETHING will grow.
              Your gonna replant what you have already planted? I'd wait and see what was already planted did. I'd be willing to bet by the time you get out there its already popping out of the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                Your gonna replant what you have already planted? I'd wait and see what was already planted did. I'd be willing to bet by the time you get out there its already popping out of the ground.
                It got rain last wed, but it had been Latin there for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure what was left. If it looks good it'll probly just get fertilizer and seed on bare spots and brother in law, or dad's spot will get seeded.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  It got rain last wed, but it had been Latin there for 3 weeks, so I'm not sure what was left. If it looks good it'll probly just get fertilizer and seed on bare spots and brother in law, or dad's spot will get seeded.
                  I bet you have a decent stand started. We had rye and oats sit in the ground for almost a year the year that Cross Plains burned and after the rains started it all sprouted and had a good stand.

Comment

I was worried about th turkeys raping it 1st. All I had time to do was mow it and drag it bare, seed with a fert spreader with some lime and chicken **** ...literally. So I'm not sure about coverage, but we will see on Friday, and go from there. I may call you lol

Comment

Q & L, I know and respect both of you. Now, quit acting like *****!

That's all I have to add.... well except I did use BFO's mixed with a Breckenridge wildlife blend on my 4 ac. plot in Seymour 2 years ago and it caused it not to rain from August until January.
                      Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

I appologize to the forum for degrading the thread.. My own ego wouldn't let me sit there and take it without a rebuttal. For that short coming I appologize to you gents..

Comment

Ok, back on topic. Has anyone had any luck with BFO in west Texas, or somewhere else that is prone to drought?

Comment

Just to throw this out there for all the guys that don't have hill country/high deer populations. The later in the fall you can wait to plant oats/rye(any grass) the better. Deer in most places don't need the forage right now, thus the oats will grow and get to big for them to be desirable for deer. Keep in mind grasses are only desirable to deer when they are young and tender with low lignin content. Typically we wait until middle to end of oct to plant any oats/rye grass for plots, legumes etc. are another story and can be planting based on moisture and temps.

Comment

when do you plant

Originally posted by buffalorider View Post
                              We've used them in East Texas with good results. Really easy/low maintenance and grow well here.

br
                              when do I need to plant them in east tx?

Can I plant before bow season?

Comment

Originally posted by jkbduck View Post
                                when do I need to plant them in east tx?

Can I plant before bow season?
                                I'd plant them sometime between Sept. 15th and Oct 1st.

Comment

Working...
                                X