Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big are alfalfa bales?

I wanna start feeding it, and I need to build a feeder. Thanks

you can buy them at the feed store in regular square bale size. exact dims i'm not sure of.

Comment

Whatever size you want. I buy the 100 pounders.

Comment

3 string bales from Feed store are approximately same size as coastal bales but weigh from 80 - 100 pounds on average. Offshore right now so can’t put a tape on one. Sorry

Just idle information but my BIL in New Mexico bales his alfalfa for dairy farms. Their bales are 4 ft x 4ft x6 ft and weigh over 800 pounds. You move them with a tractor.
        Last edited by Tejas Wildlife; 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

They will fit in a 55 gallon Barrell. Cut the bottom off a 55 gallon Barrell and get you a cattle panel and circle it around your barrell and weld it. Put a piece of panel on the bottom Allow about 16 inches to the bottom of the barrell. They will eat through the panels and the bale will feed down until all gone. Put it about 48 inches off the ground. My neighbor made some of theses but don't have any pictures.

Comment

Same as most any bale

Comment

I built several of these. Used rebar instead of cattle panel at the bottom. It's much easier for the animals to eat it like this, and it stays dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like those too and Ez to build.

Comment

2 strand fits in a 55 gallon barrel.... 3 strand will not... I had one 55 gallon at each of my two pens a few years ago. I can fill two 55 gallon drums breaking a 3 strand bale up and filling it in wafers/plugs.

The 3 strand is a better deal and lasts longer so I decided I wanted a 3 strand feeder because a 2 strand bale was lasting me about 5-6 days. Bought a 3 strand feeder and took the other 55 gallon drum to my other pen and now feed a 3 strand in each pen each trip.. Our deer love it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000alfala0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	24518672

Name:	0000Al0.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24518673

Name:	00alfala2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	24518674

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	24518675
                  Last edited by Smart; 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Thats what I was looking for, thanks. Now is there any way to keep the cows out, without a feeder pen?

Comment

Deer/Axis wont eat the alfalfa out of my barrel feeder. I bought one to make the bale last longer and keep the hogs out of it but they will only eat it on the ground. I tried two bales and gave up. Kept a camera on it and they would barely touch the stuff in the barrel.

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                        Thats what I was looking for, thanks. Now is there any way to keep the cows out, without a feeder pen?
                        Cows love alfalfa like fat guys love Krispy Kream donuts. Build a STOUT fence to keep them out...........then reinforce it!

3 string bales should cost you $16 - $20 each

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post

Simply put...no

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Simply put...no

That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X