Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you attack this property?

Just a fun little exercise....

200 acres in Northeast Texas, BOW ONLY, if you had it all to your self, where would you set up? How many stands would you have? It's hard to see but there are 15+ ponds scattered around. County road as a boundary down the west side, no other access points.

What you got?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would check here

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

They're going to follow those interior fence/brush lines.

Comment

Find oak trees with acorns and as stated grown up fence lines are good places to start looking. There will be trails on the property and right now before green up is a good time to scout

Comment

I'm a fan of fence rows

Comment

Just by aerial photo, Id guess these spots. But Id like to get in the woods and look for food and cover. Good time of year to throw some cameras out...
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm hoping to get up there soon, still working some stuff out. Only drawback is cows... I hate hunting with cows.

I hunted here 6 years ago with a couple other guys and we had a couple nice bucks on cam but not very many deer overall, tons of pigs. Hoping if I have it all to myself I can concentrate them a bit more.

Comment

Since I am a computer illiterate, I will say I like both pics above. However I would have a stand downwind of every pond that's in cover. If you use feeders, put a couple by the ponds that are in cover and I bet you will have a honey hole.

Comment

These are the areas I’d check out and look for ambush spots. The central and southern point would be my top 2 based off the aerial image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have trees selected for quick setup in these areas. Bowhunting you can get away with multiple stand locations. Have hang-ons set in place and figure out deer travel patterns. From there I would hunt depending on home range of the deer for that particular time of year and set up in whichever I had in favor with wind direction.

My favorite based on aerial is the middle pinch point through the funnel of woods. Very bottom edge looks promising as well with large area of woods on neighboring property.

Approach is key as well. Looks like a great place.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      These are the areas I’d check out and look for ambush spots. The central and southern point would be my top 2 based off the aerial image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      I would have trees selected for quick setup in these areas. Bowhunting you can get away with multiple stand locations. Have hang-ons set in place and figure out deer travel patterns. From there I would hunt depending on home range of the deer for that particular time of year and set up in whichever I had in favor with wind direction.

My favorite based on aerial is the middle pinch point through the funnel of woods. Very bottom edge looks promising as well with large area of woods on neighboring property.

Approach is key as well. Looks like a great place.
                      i should have said the house and shop are where your top right X is Patton, and where your top X is Antlers. the house is just to the left of pattons x and the shop is the white spot just underneath the x.

i like all the ideas, i really like the funnel right in the middle, it would just be tough getting to and from if anything was bedding in that patch of woods in the center of the place. you can barely see the light green pond on the north side of that funnel, there is a creek running through the middle of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                        i should have said the house and shop are where your top right X is Patton, and where your top X is Antlers. the house is just to the left of pattons x and the shop is the white spot just underneath the x.

i like all the ideas, i really like the funnel right in the middle, it would just be tough getting to and from if anything was bedding in that patch of woods in the center of the place. you can barely see the light green pond on the north side of that funnel, there is a creek running through the middle of it.
                        Deer hang around houses.

That middle funnel/creek is going to be an all day sit spot especially during the rut. Figure out the bedding and set up according to it.

Comment

I agree with Patton and and Antlers. I would have 2 stands to use depending on wind conditions.

Comment

I'm looking at all these areas

Attached Files

Comment

I'd get a couple tower stands, a good spotting scope, a little ice chest full of drinks and scout!! Get out there after a rain and go look for prints and set cameras. I enjoy scouting and trying to figure out how my opponents move...

Comment

Working...
                              X