No announcement yet.

Deer lease. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$2200 is crazy money for 25 acres. I’m like some of the others, make him an offer and be ready to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bcj jones View Post
      I know this is merely opinion and everyone will be different, but I wanted to ask anyways. The only reason this property has any value to me is because it is 5 minutes from my house. I can hunt before work sometimes. It's that convenient. Smaller property. 25 acres. Has some good deer action. I saw deer this season just about every time I went out. He lives on the property and honestly I think that helps the deer stay a little more comfortable. It's right outside the city limits and there are some subdivisions in the area, but most of the surrounding properties are larger un-hunted properties. I've seen some decent bucks that I know made it through the season and will have opportunities on those next year. Couple coyotes roam around, owner says there's turkey and ive seen plenty of pigs for the off season. The only draw-backs are two things. The price and the livestock. There are 3 horses and two cows that like to mess with the feeders and hang out around the feeders. They tend to scare deer off and have on quite a few occasions this year. I think I can manage that this summer and build some pens to block them off from the hunting areas. I asked him to factor the trouble I had in this year with them and he didn't budge much. I can either split the price with another hunter, which is what I did this year, or I can pay the full price and hunt it by myself. $2200 is what he is asking. Definitely on the high side and a much smaller place, the convenience and deer activity level are the only thing keeping me interested. I have a chance at a couple good sized bucks and plenty of doe. I have a younger family so driving a couple hours to a deer lease would be difficult.

What would y'all do? What would be a counter offer?
      I would hunt public before I paid 2200 for 25 acres

Comment

2200 is high but im sure u would do a lot of hunting on it since it is so close to the house. And family time is important so if u can swing price i would go for it. when kids get bigger then u can get a big lease that is a couple hours away and have fun. u are paying for convenience and that close to your house u could probably even bring the kids for a even hunting and if they are ready to go home just go home u lost nothing.

not going to lie though i would have to sell it to wife and it would be hard!! but instead of being gone all weekend u would just be gone in morning and evening.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I would hunt public before I paid 2200 for 25 acres
          I would just do a guided Axis buck hunt before I did either lol

Comment

And some of us wonder why lease prices are so high

Comment

I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay that much for 25 acres. I would absolutely love the convenience, though.

Comment

25 acres and you can kill three deer or 2000 acres and you can kill three deer. It’s three deer when all said and done

Comment

No way I’d pay that much for 25 acres..

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                    25 acres and you can kill three deer or 2000 acres and you can kill three deer. It’s three deer when all said and done
                    Yeah but you could have different opportunities on 2000 acres.. 25 and your limited..

Comment

if I could afford it . I would do it just because I would be able to hunt a lot more . But I would split it with a friend if you plan to stay over night . the camp fire is my favorite part of hunting . As long as I can share it . Also being that close would be worth a lot to me . My lease is 2 hour drive . more then once I have had to leave early because something came up at home .

Comment

Comment

I personally would not want to hunt a place like you described unless it was my only option. Takes me about 5 hours to get to camp, but it is worth every second it takes to get there. I enjoy getting away to deer camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                            Love how everyone laughs at the price. Don’t like it. It’s not for you. I hunt several smaller acreages, family land, $2200 wouldn’t even get me to look up to lease any of them. The right 25 acres in the right place hunted correctly can be a real honey hole.
                            My good friend has 25 ac.....in the right spot and it is a honey hole. Even with these bucks killed off of it this year I'd still have a hard time paying that much. That said, it's worth it to someone

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Comment

Where does it end if you don't draw a line in the sand at some point with some of these $ hungry landowners. Some are fair and some its only about the $. This is outrageous $ for 25 acres IMHO!

Comment

An inch of time is an inch of gold, yet an inch of gold cannot buy an inch of time.

Let that sink in and get out your checkbook. Maybe offer the $1500 and see what he says. counters back at $1750 and thats still a good deal IMO. Time is everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X