This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Night Vision & Thermal Thread

I've been thinking that it's time for a new night vision thread. The old one was started by Chuy in April of 2014 and it's accrued almost 3,000 replies! That's got to be some sort of record. It's served TBH well but it's cluttered with old and outdated info. I have people calling and PM'ing me asking about scopes that have been discontinued for over 4 years because they saw them mentioned in that thread.

So let's kick off 2019 with a new thread and we can put all of our night vision and thermal kill pics/videos here, our night rifle/scope setup pics and questions and answers about current model scopes.

Good luck and stay safe in fields this year!

Jason
    Outdoor Legacy
    (877)350-1818
    We take the confusion out of night vision and thermal optics. We've helped thousands of customers find the optic that is right for their specific situation. At Outdoor Legacy we pride ourselves on offering honest, unbiased pre-purchase advice and customer service after the sale. Have questions? Call us (877)350-1818

The Late Night Vision Show podcast
    YouTube Link
    Also available on any podcast app

For a little trip down memory lane, when the original NV thread was started almost 5 years ago, the least expensive thermal scope on the market was $5,500 and the average thermal scope was $7,000-$11,000. For comparison, the most expensive normal consumer thermal scope on the market today is the Trijicon MKIII 60mm at $9,000. Pulsar nor Armasight were even making a thermal rifle scope, only Gen 1, 2 and 3 scopes. Since then, Armasight came out with over 20 thermal scopes and were bought out by FLIR. IR Defense started making high end thermals and were bought by Trijicon.

Now Pulsar, FLIR and Trijicon rule the market with a wide selection of thermal optics, Sightmark is still going strong with their very affordable Photon RT digital NV scopes and traditional Gen 1, 2, 3 scopes have almost become a thing of the past.

As time and technology have moved forward, the prices have dropped considerably and the image quality, features and options have greatly increased. Now we can buy thermal scopes for under $3,000 that would blow some of those $7,000+ scopes out of the water. We now have scopes with built in laser range finders, 6-8 hour rechargeable battery packs, smart phone apps and more. Boy have times changed in 5 years!

Oh and here is a pic to start the thread off.....
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 01-14-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I am so glad you started this thread. I am looking for a NV scope (dont want to spend the money for thermal yet) that is as affordable as possible, yet still very useable out to 150 yards. Do you have any recomendations?

Comment

Ill be following closely, looking to upgrade from my ATN X-Sight II

Comment

If anyone is on the fence about a thermal, give Jason a shout! Super good guy to deal with.

Here’s one of my thermal kills in the new year.
          Pulsar trail xq38 on top of a 10.5” 7.62 x39

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nvision is a solid scope that is just hitting the commercial market and looks to be a challenger to the Trijicon strong hold on the market.

Pulsar makes a great scope and all their scopes are under $4500.

Comment

This past Sat night. Big male. Pulsar XQ50 and the 6.5 Grendel SBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                I am so glad you started this thread. I am looking for a NV scope (dont want to spend the money for thermal yet) that is as affordable as possible, yet still very useable out to 150 yards. Do you have any recomendations?
                Yes sir I'd highly recommend the Sightmark Photon RT 4.5x42S for $549. Right out of the box you can see 200-250 yards with no extra IR illumination. It's got internal video recording, a super bright built in IR illuminator and its a proven tried and true, proven scope over the last 12 months. Here is my full review on the scope. It's very long but if you really want to know all about the scope before you purchase, it's worth the time to watch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BogBslYtF3k"]Sightmark Photon RT Digital Night Vision Riflescope Full Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sud7_u8esS4"]Sightmark Photon RT First Hog Kill - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  If anyone is on the fence about a thermal, give Jason a shout! Super good guy to deal with.
                  Thanks so much! How do you like the Convergent caller? I'm trying to decide whether to go that route or the Foxpro?

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  Nvision is a solid scope that is just hitting the commercial market and looks to be a challenger to the Trijicon strong hold on the market.

Pulsar makes a great scope and all their scopes are under $4500.
                  Yes sir I agree. For those that don't know, the N-Vision Halo was just announced and it's going to be $5,995 and an extremely strong competitor to the Trjicions. We'll be getting our hands on it soon and I'm very interested to see how the unit looks/feels and performs. I think we already know what the image quality is going to be like.

One tiny correction on the Pulsar, the XP50 is $5,000 but yep their scopes are great. They will be releasing a whole new line of thermals called the Thermions next week at the SHOT Show.

Comment

I'd love to have a thermal but I hate spending money on something I cant put my hands or see how well it actually works before buying. I'll get in touch this summer when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Comment

[QUOTE=Outdoor Legacy;13926158]Thanks so much! How do you like the Convergent caller? I'm trying to decide whether to go that route or the Foxpro?

It sounds great! I’m still kind of torn on how well the hog calling works. We were actually able to pull a big boar off a neighboring place with it and also had a group cone hauling a#% straight to us. The next time we tried it the hogs took off but I’m thinking they might have been trying to get the wind right

Comment

I’ll be following and reading. Ready to top my new Grendel with something!

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                          I’ll be following and reading. Ready to top my new Grendel with something!
                          I am looking at buying this one. A guyI work with has a friend with this one and sent us a video yesterday of him shooting pigs at 115 yards and it was bada55
                          This is the one he has:

Comment

Will be following along.

Comment

Tuned in

Comment

Working...
                              X