Taxidermy Question ASAP. Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Make the normal cuts and peel it up. For a shoulder mount. If you are doing a 1/2 life size then go ahead and split down the back.

Thanks Chance. Plan on doing a wall pedestal. Something similar to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calihunter1 View Post
      I agree if you can not split it then don’t. But why would I work way harder to cape and clean my animal to save my taxi a little sewing work.. makes no sense. The op is in a canyon with a ram on the ground you really gunna try and roll a cape?

Its not hard to tube skin up to the neck. Splitting down the back is the just the lazy/fast way. Regardless if your in a canyon or sitting at the barn. The only animal i would even consider would be an elk by yourself but even then you should take the time to tube it up and let a taxidermist do it right at his shop.

Comment

My outfitter split my aoudad cape all the way up to the back of the head and it made me really mad.
        The taxidermist we used didn’t do a good job with the seam. The ridge of hair down the neck is not neat. Hair pointing in different directions. I’m sure he thought no one would notice.
        I’d never do it that way if I had a choice.

Comment

Agree

The question was "WHEN DID THIS BECOME DRAMA?"

When one's opinion/answer is not the same as another's, then here you go "DRAMA"!!
          Last edited by diamonde40; 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
            Its not hard to tube skin up to the neck. Splitting down the back is the just the lazy/fast way. Regardless if your in a canyon or sitting at the barn. The only animal i would even consider would be an elk by yourself but even then you should take the time to tube it up and let a taxidermist do it right at his shop.

Ha. Would of loved to have had you there on the 45 degree hill to help me with the 275 Lb ram. Fast/lazy....not a chance. Only way I could do it by myself.

Comment

I just rugged a Nilgai Bull and it was wirk with 2 of us. If I would have been solo I would have split it. I do lay it out and use to keep meat clean. Hang quarters in tree and cut muscle into game bags.

Comment

I wouldn't turn away a mount that was split unless it was split up the front side of the neck .... and I've even done one of those.

I prefer to sew as little as possible, but I'd rather sew a long seam than try to cover a missing brisket or armpit.

Comment

Hunter did you shoot him up towards utopia?

We were talking about it today how hunting some of those hills could be a pita....

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                    I’ll do a write up later.

So how did he tape out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                      Hunter did you shoot him up towards utopia?

We were talking about it today how hunting some of those hills could be a pita....

Yep. At our place in Utopia. Only an issue for aoudad. Whitetails generally aren’t on those hillsides. It makes it pretty but it is rugged for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                        So how did he tape out?

31.5”x30.25”

Comment

That’s a trophy for sure

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Thanks everyone. More to report but I’ll wait till I get back and can do a little write up. Been a great 24 hrs!

Comment

He's a nice ram for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X