No announcement yet.

Storing handguns around kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A biometric pistol safe can be had for about 60bucks. Seems a fair price for peace of mind.

Comment

I used to use a rubber coated hook that hung inside the closet when you first come in inside above and the door. When anyone goes into a closet, they look ahead, not up and over the door buck inside. I still have a shotgun stored the same way in my bedroom closet. It lays inside two rubber coated hooks ready for business. The kids are big and all moved out now. So the pistol stays on the dresser or anywhere now.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
        Locked up, unloaded at all times with kids in the house. Your kid might be able to be trusted, but their friends?
        Ditto, but I was a kid once and I Tell you, you cant trust any kids no matter what you think. Dont be sorry for taking a chance.

Comment

Kept mine locked up until kids were old enough to understand and know what they were and what they could do

Kept guns by every door after that UNLESS we had company or they had friends over

My kids shot and handled with supervision, was not any mystery or secret about them

Comment

I have one that is loaded and ready that sits on top of the fridge right in the middle. Not 1 "kid" that I know of can reach it.

I leave my others, Shotguns and pistols in my room unloaded

I will leave the pistol unloaded but racked back so that if something was to happen I could grab the mag and put it it, press the release and load it within 3-5 seconds

Comment

I agree with everyone that mentioned education and awareness when it comes to kids. I also believe you can't be too cautious so I have safes similar to these.
              These can be expensive but well worth the money in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Now raising a grandchild, I am right there with you. Just bought a new safe for all the long guns that were in the corners, and an isometric pistol safe for the wife’s judge by the bed. She will be educated about them, but at no point is her life worth risking. She is two, and into everything, especially the things I tell her “no” to. Some of you folks need to re-evaluate your storage strategy. God bless.

Comment

If you let them squeeze off a .357 magnum round when they’re around 4 years old, you shouldn’t have to worry about them getting near it for several more years. Kids seem to usually make a mistakes like this when they have a friend over. It’s like the forbidden fruit of the household and if they know it’s their, they’ll try to show their friend, who btw didn’t shoot the .357 as a kid, and will treat it like a toy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                    I agree with everyone that mentioned education and awareness when it comes to kids. I also believe you can't be too cautious so I have safes similar to these.
                    These can be expensive but well worth the money in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    these are golden for kids in the house

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                      If you let them squeeze off a .357 magnum round when they’re around 4 years old, you shouldn’t have to worry about them getting near it for several more years. Kids seem to usually make a mistakes like this when they have a friend over. It’s like the forbidden fruit of the household and if they know it’s their, they’ll try to show their friend, who btw didn’t shoot the .357 as a kid, and will treat it like a toy.
                      my 4 yo daughter loves to be right there when I shoot. I've even helped her with the .22. it takes the curiosity out of it but I still keep them out of reach of little fingers.

Comment

Check out Magloc Push Button Trigger Locks. They're the best I've found. My favorite thing is that you can easily open them in the dark.

I'm not crazy about biometric/fingerprint safes. My FIL had one and that thing never worked reliably for him. Heck, I can't even get the fingerprint lock on my Iphone to work half the time.

Comment

This is what I have mounted on my bedside table.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Like many others, all they have to do is ask. No curiosity. With that being said I have a vault room that is locked, but for the bedside pistols they are in thumb print safes. I do however keep my carry pistol accessible. Normally just lying on a counter. If my boys want to touch or shoot it, just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              Take the curiosity out of it is the best thing you can do. But in the interim before that time just keep it up high ready to go. A 2 foot toddler isn't going to be able to get to the top of a book shelf cabinet etc. Especially if it is isolated with nothing else to use to climb up it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                              Agree. As soon as my child started walking talking and getting interested in things i taught them about weapons. Started the conversation by taking her for a ride in the pasture. Telling her to cover her ears in the truck. Shut the door and emptied the mag. Her face . Then come deer season showed her the side of a doe where the rifle round went in and turned it into jelly. When she asked me if she could hold it I would make sure it was clear and safe and hand it over. She learned that she could see any of my weapons any time as long as she asks me.

I never kept a round in the chamber just in case. She was too young to work it. Main pistol top drawer that is about 5 foot up. Rest in a safe.

I would also test her. Unload it put on seat and ask her to get something out of the truck. She never failed the test.

Now other peoples kids... That scares the hell out of me so i keep it with me or put it up.

Comment

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
                                True. Seems like whenever I read about kids having a gun accident, it's when their friends are over and they're fooling around with daddy's gun. I think you have to just play it by ear. All my guns are loaded and chambered, including the 9mm on the nightstand, BUT my wife and I are the only ones that go near them. If somebody's coming to visit, I'll chuck them into the gun cabinet and lock the door.

Putting one out of reach, like on top of the fridge or a closet shelf, can work, until someday your kid sees you putting it up there or taking it down.

There are some handgun safes out there that instantly spring open, exposing the gun in a ready-to-grab position.

Comment

Working...
                                X