Bang for the buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bang for the buck

Looking to buy a new rifle only looking to spend $400-$450 what does the green screen recommend?

Ruger American or Savage Axis.

Comment

Love my axis- nice and light and after a DIY trigger job it's good to go

Comment

Ruger American, caliber depends on what your gonna use it for. Here's some I'd consider

22-250
        6.5 creed
        338 win mag

Comment

Ruger American is a great bang for your buck. They are hard to beat for the price imo.

Comment

Thompson Center has a line up called Compass

Comment

+1 for Ruger American.

Comment

Another vote for the Ruger American.

Comment

Another vote for the Ruger American. Oh look... there's one in the classifieds right now.

Comment

If your willing to go used you can find an original Rem 700 or Savage 110 in your price range that will be a high quality gun. Granted it's going to be 20+ years old but it isn't going to have plastic parts and will be blued.

As far as new guns I haven't handled all of the lower priced rifles but most of them the bolt felt like it was cycling through gravel. I was looking for a cheap light weight truck gun and liked how the Ruger American felt. They did a good job on figuring out how to produce a low cost quality feel action and most are reporting good accuracy. The down sides are it has a lot of plastic and the trigger housing is cast. I did some rounding and polishing to mine which made the action even smoother. With the addition of a couple of screws and a lighter spring I got the trigger down to 2# with no creep or over travel. Overall it's not a bad gun but they did a lot to cut cost and it shows.

Comment

I took a savage 223 in on a trade 2 days ago I'm going to take it to the gun show at big town tomorrow and see what some one may give me on it.
                      I'll be adding the cash from it to my new gun fund, im really wanting a 6.5 cm.

Comment

Cricket

Comment

Originally posted by rwkiel View Post
                          Love my axis- nice and light and after a DIY trigger job it's good to go
                          This

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                            If your willing to go used you can find an original Rem 700 or Savage 110 in your price range that will be a high quality gun. Granted it's going to be 20+ years old but it isn't going to have plastic parts and will be blued.

As far as new guns I haven't handled all of the lower priced rifles but most of them the bolt felt like it was cycling through gravel. I was looking for a cheap light weight truck gun and liked how the Ruger American felt. They did a good job on figuring out how to produce a low cost quality feel action and most are reporting good accuracy. The down sides are it has a lot of plastic and the trigger housing is cast. I did some rounding and polishing to mine which made the action even smoother. With the addition of a couple of screws and a lighter spring I got the trigger down to 2# with no creep or over travel. Overall it's not a bad gun but they did a lot to cut cost and it shows.
                            +1,000,000,000
                            Ive got a late 80s Rem 700 270 I bought off a tbh'r and its awesome. scratched and dinged, but its got character and I know it wont fail.

also have a savage 110 in 243. one of my favorite guns, ever.

Comment

I'm going to go see if I can find a Ruger American in 6.5 creedmoor at the gun show today thanks for all the info

Comment

Working...
                              X