Black oil sunflowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black oil sunflowers

About to go buy seed for a 6 acre plot. Just going to broadcast and drag not planting in rows. Im thinking 10 pounds per acre will do fine. I'm including the hog factor. Does this seem about right?

Tough to spread only 10 pound to the acre unless you have a seed drill

Comment

A quick google says 4/5 lb. per acre, so twice that rate should work, unless your hogs are really thick, in which case they may eat them all. Ask me how I know....

Comment

Won’t be enough. When I used to broadcast 25+ would get best results. Birds will wear you out. I also recommend disking in. Dragging didn’t get them deep enough to drag the hull off. When I started planting 3/4”ish I started getting better results

Rows are best though, and that’s what I’ve went to

Comment

Try discing the plot until it's fluffy, dragging it smooth,then straightening your disc until the gangs are almost straight and discing again. This will leave grooves in your plot 2"/3" deep. Drag after broadcasting and most of your seed will be covered well. Sunflower seeds will stand to be covered a couple inches. That's lots of work, but if it's done right, you'll have a good plot, and that's what you're looking for.

I've never planted sunflowers alone but I have in a mix exactly as described. I have planted hundreds of pounds of IC peas and soybeans using this method and every plot has been successful. Good luck !
          Last edited by Drycreek3189; 04-04-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

I put out 100 pounds on 4 acres.

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Turkeys are what usually do me in coupled with hogs.

Comment

Do you guys fence cattle out of sunflower plots? (Please excuse if I’m hijacking- very informative thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Without discing them in, birds will eat every bit of them. I've seen that happen twice....

Comment

I always plant about 25#/ac because it is hard to spread less in a pto spreader. 10# would be better if you can figure it out. You must cover or birds will wipe it out.

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                        Do you guys fence cattle out of sunflower plots? (Please excuse if I’m hijacking- very informative thread)

I've seen a plot come in and at about 4inches the cows mowed it down......

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post

YES!
                          Once they dry out I turn cows in to them. Sometimes it’s mid September but they will eat all the under story and stop down a lot of seed.

Comment

I gave up on Sunflowers, the deer mowed them down when they came up.

Comment

I bought 200# so that's roughly 33# per acre along with 400# of fertilizer. Cows are fenced out just leaves hogs to contend with. Going to make a few late night sits with the NV to run them off. Hopefully have a decent crop

Comment

Working...
                              X