First knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First knives

Both of these knives are made of ATS-34 stainless steel. The first one is a short skinner that I just tried to "play" with to see how it turned out. It has oak handle scales. I should have stained the wood before finishing it with Tru Oil.

The second one I finished with cocobola scales. I had to seal the wood with superglue and then coat it with Tru Oil. It turned out much better.

They aren't perfect but I'm happy with them being my first ones. Constructive criticizm is welcome, but be gentle........... Sorry the photo quality isn't very good, I'm definitely not a photographer.

they look great for first knives, in my opinoin the second knife would have looked better if you would have rounded of the top of the handle some , just keep on you'll find making knives is the more you do it the better you will get and the quicker you get a good grinder the better they will start turning them out.
    Anthony

Comment

Thanks. Actually the top of the handle is rounded but could probably use some more, it just doesn't look like it in the picture.. I'm using a hacksaw, 1" Harbor Frieght belt sander and files to make these. I have a friend that works in a machine shop here in Rockwall and I'm going to get him to help me build a grinder for 2x72 belts as soon as he gets time. I've got 3 knives out for heat treat now, and just finished another yesterday. Getting quicker with each one.

Comment

I meant front to back I think without bolsters it looks better that way, kinda like this.
        Attached Files

Comment

Also if you ever want to take lessons there is a guy in Royse City named Bob Warner who used to give lessons,
          Anthony

Comment

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I agree, I just wasn't sure how to incorporate the rounding into the finger choil area. I gotta admit, I just kind of winged it on the design and finishing. I know I need to do a little studying on different designs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

They look great for first knives. Keep it up.

Bob <><

Comment

The cocobolo most would just sand finely and then buff. It has enough oil in the wood to age nicely. The more you handle it the nicer it looks.
                If you want to buff for a cheap fix if you have a drill press ,you can get an arbour and use a buffing wheel.
                Handles you can take sandpaper and cut off strips length wise and the use a shoe shine motion to sand with. You are off to a great start.
                Somewhere down the road if you continue you want to get a mark with your name. There is always someone tryng to figure out who C,W,SS is.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Looking good, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Onimo View Post
                      Looking good, keep it up!
                      tried to make knife out of old lawnmower blade the blade was bent and was a pain to put an edge on. Havnt figured out how to mount a handle.

Comment

Working...
                      X