Anyone ride a bicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ride a bicycle

I’m needing to get some exercise and some cardio , when I was younger I enjoyed riding , any suggestions on type, and brand? I’m just wanting to ride down the highway, not crazy about the skinny tire road bikes, I’m 6’3 245#

#1 the bike has to fit you, or you’re in for a world of misery
    #2 see #1
    #3 if you buy now you can get good to great deals on bikes
    #4 if you buy used you can get an even better deal

Maybe check out gravel bikes. They have relaxed riding position but still haul butt and have tires that offer a more comfortable ride than a road racing type bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^X2

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The two rules about bikes I have learned in all my years of riding are:

1) You get what you pay for (when buying new)

2) The more you pay, the less you get (in terms of weight)

txpitdog has the rest right.

Bikes also depreciate about as quickly as cars do, sometimes faster during it's first 4 years. So no matter how much you spend on one, you most likely will never get it back out of it. Think long term when you buy one.

Comment

If you’re buying used check the price here

The world's only trusted resource for finding the value of used bikes. Our experts give you the confidence to buy, sell, or trade so you are back on the road faster!

People are worse with bikes than they are with guns as far as asking new bike prices for something that is a couple years old. If you’re looking at something 4+ years old it should probably going to be 50-60% of new price. Technology changes really fast

Comment

I think I still can?

Comment

Go to a bike shop and talk to them

If you are near Brenham, Eric, the owner of Kat -Bird cycling will help you find the right one
              Last edited by rberg; 09-07-2019, 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Not since like got a drivers license when I turned 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                  If you’re buying used check the price here

The world's only trusted resource for finding the value of used bikes. Our experts give you the confidence to buy, sell, or trade so you are back on the road faster!

People are worse with bikes than they are with guns as far as asking new bike prices for something that is a couple years old. If you’re looking at something 4+ years old it should probably going to be 50-60% of new price. Technology changes really fast
                  I sold my old bike for double what bicycle bluebook said it was worth.

Bicycle bluebook has my 2015 Trek Fuel value at 35% of retail.

Comment

I'm 6'3" / 210# and we own two (Townie Electra) and the fit is the key to comfort. Go to a bicycle shop and look at one of these! Great bikes.

Comment

If you want to ride down the highway, then you want a skinny tire road bike. They get a little addicting , I just come back from 28 miles today, and I'm a relative Noob on whole deal. Definitely go to an actual bike store and get fitted, it's worth the extra money. Plus if you got a good bike store in your area they'll help you out with all the crap you don't know. I recommend getting one they're a lot of fun. I don't know about other brands but Trek does have several on sale right now

Comment

Also, definitely get some bicycle shorts haha

Comment

If you just want to get exercise and ride around the neighborhood don't spend a lot of money.
                          Just go down to Walmart and they have decent bikes for what you want to do.
                          If you don't keep at it or don't seem to find the time to ride you aren't out a lot of money.
                          No matter what experts say, resale in a yard sale is about $25.
                          Whatever you get really splurge and get a decent floor pump from Walmart while your at it .
                          Bicycle tires lose air just sitting there a few days, so a pump is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo47 View Post
                            If you just want to get exercise and ride around the neighborhood don't spend a lot of money.
                            Just go down to Walmart and they have decent bikes for what you want to do.
                            If you don't keep at it or don't seem to find the time to ride you aren't out a lot of money.
                            No matter what experts say, resale in a yard sale is about $25.
                            Whatever you get really splurge and get a decent floor pump from Walmart while your at it .
                            Bicycle tires lose air just sitting there a few days, so a pump is necessary.
                            If OP is going to do any trail riding he probably should avoid a Walmart bike. At 6'3" 245# he should at least get one with double wall rims. This coming from someone who had to walk a bike back because of a bent rim when I was 6'3" and 270#

My advice is get a bike that fits, has re-enforced rims and upgrade the seat.

If just neighborhood or hike and bike riding a Walmart bike may work but still get a frame to match height and upgrade the seat.

Comment

Don’t be the guy that takes up a car lane and is completely oblivious to what’s going on around him..

Comment

Working...
                              X