Shipping a firearm to another individual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a firearm to another individual

So, apparently, this is a no go now with FedEx and UPS?

Box it up send it usps with ins and tracking, they never ask me what’s in it don’t need to volunteer, it’s perfectly legal. Ups will send it as well just have to go thru the hub not a ups store. It’s not illegal for them to ship it as well they can just refuse cause they are locally owned usually I have used them and just said truck parts of your in a pinch. But never had any issues with post office

Comment

I shipped USPS...I declared what it was and they put a special brown tape on it and sent it as registered. It insures that the package is passed from individual to individual (or so I was told). Other than having to help the USPS folks understand the law and their own policies, it was painless and not overly expensive.

Comment

I’ve shipped plenty using usps. Last one I sent she asked me what it was and I said rifle, she said she couldn’t do it and I said you’ve sent plenty of other ones for me, she was in shock. She then called someone and she confirmed that it was ok.

Comment

Pistol or long gun??

In state or out of??

Right now I side with the shippers...please do not act on any other suggestions if you want to follow the law or be able to collect Ins if the firearm goes missing.
          Last edited by Artos; 08-26-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Fed Ex and UPS are private owned and set their own guidelines. It’s not anything new that they won’t ship a firearm. USPS is the governmental form and they have to abide by policies of what’s legal and what’s not. Just box it up and send it on it’s way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Farm tool(for predator control)................

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                So, apparently, this is a no go now with FedEx and UPS?
                The answer is: it depends

Comment

Both UPS and FEDEX require the shipper or the receiver to be a licensed firearms dealer, broker, collector, etc.

I will try USPS tomorrow.

I used to ship guns thru UPS from time to time, but last time I did it was about 10 years ago.

Guess it is just a sign of the times. Really sad.

Comment

I ship with fedex with no problems, find an independent shipping depot that uses all the shipping companys they will ship it and its perfectly legal . some of the employes don't there arss from a hole in the ground when it comes to shipping firearms .

Comment

Originally posted by greenheadless View Post
                      both ups and fedex require the shipper or the receiver to be a licensed firearms dealer, broker, collector, etc.

I will try usps tomorrow.

I used to ship guns thru ups from time to time, but last time i did it was about 10 years ago.

Guess it is just a sign of the times. Really sad.
                      wrong , I use fedex everytime I need to ship and have no problems at all it depends on the idiot behind the counter weather or not he or she knows the law and policy.
                      Last edited by breadman; 08-26-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Per UPS:

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment. Firearms (including handguns) and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. UPS Returns® Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms

All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.

All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.

The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup®, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

See the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service - United States and the UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping ("UPS Terms") for information regarding firearm and ammunition shipments.
                        Per FedEx:

A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms, antique firearms and replica firearms, all as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, as well as muzzleloaders and black powder firearms (collectively “firearms”), between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

B. If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

C. Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Drop Box. Firearms shipments are not eligible to be held at Hold at Location facilities.

D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

E. The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

F. The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

G. FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.
                        Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-26-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

It's just the idiots behind the counter...not sure how many times I have posted this over the years:

I'm an FFL and have had to walk out of ALL THREE big shippers because they DO NOT EVER ship firearms as that is illegal. Meaning all the guns you see in retailers are hand delivered via manufactures and distributors with private vehicles guarded by armed ATF agents.

Never mind that I can by name the individual employees working for the big three who routinely deliver the guns illegally they say is outlawed they are not allowing me to ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Pistol or long gun??

In state or out of??

Right now I side with the shippers...please do not act on any other suggestions if you want to follow the law or be able to collect Ins if the firearm goes missing.
                            Same questions

Comment

Long gun.

And no where did I say it was illegal. I am stating that they are requiring a licensed firearms person be involved in their transaction due to their policies.

if you need clarification, please see the two verbatim quotes from their policies above ^

Comment

Working...
                              X