Protein consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein consumption?

How much protein are your deer eating per month?

500 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Stonecold69 View Post
      How much protein are your deer eating per month?
      Impossible to answer. How long is a piece of string? It depends on deer density.

I have always suggested the better question is how much protein per animal?

I feed about 10 tons per month. I estimate I have 330 deer, or 2 lbs per deer per day on average.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Slow right now. Got some green up

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
          Slow right now. Got some green up
          This since last September. Acorns and now green up. Sure helps the pocketbook.

Comment

This is the bad time for full protein feeders for me. The dang stuff draws moisture and will mold up. I checked all mine last Saturday and they are half full or half empty

Comment

Thanks for the info, ours are averaging about 300 pounds per month per feeder, we have 4 one ton feeders on 1300 acres. Just seeing how close everyone was.

Comment

Ive got so much clover and green up they aren't eating much protein

Comment

Our have picked up a bunch in the last 2 weeks. Starting in April we normally go through 1,500lbs of protein every 3 weeks or so as well as 500lbs of cottenseed. And this is on 100 acres.

Comment

Varies greatly by month with May, June and July being the heaviest consumption times. Was over 3000 lbs a month during that stretch last year out of three feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                      Our have picked up a bunch in the last 2 weeks. Starting in April we normally go through 1,500lbs of protein every 3 weeks or so as well as 500lbs of cottenseed. And this is on 100 acres.
                      Is this on a low fence or high fence property?

Comment

In Pearsall we started back in Late Dec. Early January until this weekend...about 500lbs/week of cottonseed

Got 2.5" rain Friday and Sat. so this should slow down as things green up...its been very dry in S. TX so far. Not much to eat in the pastures

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          This is the bad time for full protein feeders for me. The dang stuff draws moisture and will mold up. I checked all mine last Saturday and they are half full or half empty

Use a 5/8" drill bit and drill 10-15 holes around the top of your feeder barrel right under the lip. Make sure the lid still covers it so the rain cant get to it. it will let the barrel breath and should cure your mold problem. It did ours.

Comment

Typically we go through around 3,000lbs of protein per month but right now with all the rain and Spring green-up consumption is way down. We filled our protein feeders on 1/15/20 and cottonseed feeders on 2/22/20 and they are still about 40% full.

Comment

2k lbs a month at least

Comment

Working...
                              X