.44 rem mag or .45 long colt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.44 rem mag or .45 long colt?

Have been looking at lever actions lately and thought I’d like one for a truck gun for the lease or just as a brush gun to plink hogs with. In yalls opinion what would be a better choice a .44 mag or a .45lc I was looking at 45/70 but decided I don’t think I want to deal with the recoil from it any feed back is appreciated

Do you have a pistol in either caliber to pair it up with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
      Do you have a pistol in either caliber to pair it up with?
      Not at the moment

Comment

Just mulch opinion, I think either one would b good choice. Maybe check and see which ammo is more available.

Comment

I have both
          the 44 mag is a much better choice and can drop critters at 100 yards.
          the .45 not so much

Comment

44 mag if you don’t reload

Comment

A quick check of ballistics by the inch factory loads are fairly close out of a 16" carbine. The .44 mag probably has the edge in ammo options of the shelf. If you handload then there is an even wider range.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                44 mag if you don’t reload
                absolutely

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                A quick check of ballistics by the inch factory loads are fairly close out of a 16" carbine. The .44 mag probably has the edge in ammo options of the shelf. If you handload then there is an even wider range.
                If you reload, the 45 Colt will do what the 44 Mag will do.

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                I have both
                the 44 mag is a much better choice and can drop critters at 100 yards.
                the .45 not so much
                only if you DON'T reload.

Comment

Either one will work, some might say the .44 mag but with some hand loads the .45 Colt isn't no slouch. Be warned that in the little light weight lever carbines they can sting a little.

Comment

One thing to take into consideration is the bullet profile, my Marlin will not feed cast bullets. For reliable feeding you need to shoot jacketed bullets. Buffalo Bore and a few others make some pretty good ammo but it is expensive. I handload a 300 grain jhp with H110 to shoot out of my 44. It is a hammer on deer and hogs. If you want to but ammo off the shelf the 44 is your best option i have shot the 240 jsp made by Magtech thru mine with very good results.

Comment

45/70 really doesn't thump that hard..

Comment

44 mag the ammo is much easier to find.

Comment

The pistol cart lever guns are cool but for a truck-gun I would go with a marlin or Winchester 30-30. You can get a used one for less than a Rossi and they are nicer guns...hunting ammo will be easier to find also.

If you are set on a pistol round I've used multiple factory loads in a 44 mag handi-rifle with good results and have also taken deer and pigs w a 357 mag lever rifle using factory and hand loaded ammo.

Comment

Just my kinda topic.

Look at the Henry 16” carbine if you wanna go 44 and most definitely if you want to pair it with a pistol. The Henry is almost the only one that will shoot everything well so you can pick your ammo.

The Marlins usually pick the ammo for you do to chamber size variation. You’ll read many different accuracy reviews in cyber space concerning 44 magnum and there are a few reasons for it. If the rifle weight isn’t heavy enough, the recoil literally starts moving the barrel before the bullet exits, its an anomaly because of the lower velocity and recoil. This happens frequently with the Ruger 77/44 and Rossi 92. If you are a big enough ole boy to hold her still, no problemo. The Henry Carbine is perfection in all areas.

The 77/44 kicks as hard as any 45/70

Nuthing wrong with a 45 Colt either.

I do agree unless you feel a burning need for a pistol caliber, a pawnshop 30-30 is just better all around.
                            Last edited by Johnny44; 12-19-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I always liked the idea of one of these... accuracy is a concern I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X