Red Stag and Turkey at Rocky Ridge Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Stag and Turkey at Rocky Ridge Ranch

Well after a long wait, I finally made it out to Rocky Ridge Ranch for my Red Stag hunt. I got out to the stand at about 6:05 this morning and it was a balmy 27 degrees out. I had bundled up pretty good, but the cold really took me by surprise. Luckily, I didn't have to wait long for my blood to start pumping and warm me up.

At about 6:30 am I was covered up in turkeys, rams, fallow and whitetail. The sun was not even out yet, but I could definitely make out the outlines of the animals and it was a pretty amazing experience just being out there in the woods. The sun started to come out at around 6:55, and that's when I got to see the animals with a degree of detail.

I originally went out to Rocky Ridge with my eyes on a Red Stag. Getting a stag has been on my bucket list, and when I learned about the package Rocky Ridge offered, I jumped at the chance. At about 7:17 am, I texted my guide and ranch owner BJ and asked if turkeys were off limits. I was really covered up in turkeys at this point, and I had never taken one before (with a bow or a shotgun). BJ texted me back pretty quickly and gave me the thumbs up, and I set my eyes on a really nice gobbler about 26 yards away. At my last count before I got the go ahead, there were a total of 4 gobblers and 6 hens. Just as I soon as I picked out the gobbler, a lone Red Stag appeared!

The Red Stag came out of the woods and approached the feeder that was 20 yards or so outside of the pop-up blind. At first, I couldn't believe my luck that I had opportunities at both the Red Stag and a real nice Rio Grande Turkey. The Red Stag was pretty jumpy, and hesitated to come in all the way to the feeder. I pulled out my range finder and determined that he was only 32 yards in front of me, and I knew that this was going to be as good as it got that morning. Just as the quick as the Red Stag appeared, he turned broadside to me and I drew my arrow.

As I was holding the arrow back, I calmed myself down, settled my sight on his sweet spot, and released the arrow. THWACK! The sound was unmistakable and I knew I had contact with the Red Stag. The magnificent beast experienced a double lung shot and he made it only 20 yards or so before he crashed into the earth. I was amazed that it happened so quickly and that I had made such a clean shot with my nerves being on overdrive with excitement.

Surprisingly, the turkeys were unaffected by the shot and remained in place. At the same time, 6 cow elk appeared with 2 bull elk. I was amazed at their size, but quickly refocused my efforts on getting my first turkey.

I quickly found the gobbler I had set my eyes on only moments earlier, and he presented a shot opportunity at just under 30 yards (28 to be exact). I drew my arrow, rested my sight pin on his chest, and THWACK. The gobbler struggled for his life for only 30 seconds or so and it was over. In less than 15 minutes, I managed to bag a gobbler AND a Red Stag. What a rush!

I give Rocky Ridge two thumbs up and this certainly won't be my last time visiting.
    Attached Files

PS - the gobbler had a 10.5" beard, and the Red Stag was a 5x4.
    Last edited by nta1902; 12-26-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Nice! I can't wait to get out there!!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

nice. do they have a website? if so, what is it? i cant find it, unless its in OK.

Comment

That's a great hunt! Congratulations

Comment

Now that was a cool hunt, Congrats on the double

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Nice double...Congrats!

Comment

very nice, congrats

Comment

Congrats on the double. Those are some good looking critters.

Comment

great job

Comment

Thanks guys. @leeb, the website is www.huntrockyridge.com

Comment

great hunt, that right there is why I have been out there for all of my hunts.

Comment

Working...
                              X