Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Six-Four View Post
    Kyle,

Welcome to the area. Your question is a broad one. It might be best to sum up an appropriate answer by saying keep an easy going attitude about ya in the woods when you do encounter someone, and treat others the way you'd want to be treated.

Last year I was camping and hunting with a buddy. When it was time to walk in that morning he had forgotten his Gps and I had to walk him to his stand then head to mine. In doing so I inadvertently passed under a guy's stand in the dark getting to mine. Also last year I had hunted all day and mid afternoon a guy came in and stared climbing a tree exactly 40 yards from me. When I got his attention and told him I was already there his words were "but this is where I always hunt" - neither one of us saw deer that night but watched each other's every move.

It would be nice if guys would give the courtesy of at least 100 if not a 200 yd separation in my opinion. It'd be nice if guys would keep from walking around in the woods during prime morning and evening hours. But it's public land and the long and short is it has to be shared. So a good attitude and "common courtesy" (whatever that is to you) is hopefully what we all want and hope for out there.

Beyond that find the best a spot you can and I generally pick out at least two spots in a given area so if I walk in on someone I can easily adjust and still hunt.

Best of luck and nice serving with ya.
    I appreciate the response. Yes, I’d like to stay out of everyone’s way and be courteous. I did find a spot that I will try and hunt. Decent deer sign around. Thanks for your help. Good luck to everyone!

Comment

Anyone headed out this weekend?

Comment

I wonder how my son's doing out there today , it's his first all day sit by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by public View Post
          Anyone headed out this weekend?
          Doing the opposite actually, planning to visit the city this weekend. Sure I will be ready to turn around as soon as I hit traffic. Been sitting since dark thirty this morning. No deer yet, just been staring at the spot where my corn was last night. 50 lbs gone in less than 14 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
            Doing the opposite actually, planning to visit the city this weekend. Sure I will be ready to turn around as soon as I hit traffic. Been sitting since dark thirty this morning. No deer yet, just been staring at the spot where my corn was last night. 50 lbs gone in less than 14 hours.
            I've seen corn disappear in less time than that. I've been spreading 100 lbs every Friday and im lucky to have something on the ground on Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
              I've seen corn disappear in less time than that. I've been spreading 100 lbs every Friday and im lucky to have something on the ground on Sat.
              The guilty corn thieves showed right at the end of shooting hours. Big group of around 15 baby piglets, another 10-12 between 60-100 lbs and 4 more 150-250 lbs. there were still some more in the brush that I couldn’t see on top of that. Biggest sounder I have seen in person, made me think twice about climbing down from my tree.

Comment

Congrats on the nice bucks!

Well Saturday when I went in I had a guy walking around and made almost a complete circle around me. I ended up telling him to walk through my set up to get back there so he could get settled in. It was first light. 7:15 he’s walking 30 yds from me leaving to go somewhere else. At least he left that early and not later.

A little while later I was texting a buddy in another unit. When I looked up and there was a small buck standing in my corn looking away from me like he was watching something. I went to sit my phone down and hit the Siri button and it beeps twice. Just got the new phone the night before. He spins around and looks dead at me, then bounces off to my right. I’m like what else can happen today. I tell my buddy that usually when everything is going wrong that’s usually when something good happens. About 5 minutes later I see a deer in the same direction the little buck was looking. But only for a second. Headed towards the road. I’m looking and looking for about 15 minutes and nothing. I figure it’s not coming my way. About 5 or 10 minutes later I look to my right and there’s a buck standing about 7yds from me. I'm sitting in a brush blind. He doesn’t know I’m there. He sniffs the air and turns to his right and starts coming around towards the corn. I think this is the deer I saw and that the little buck was looking at. I wait til he steps behind a big tree and get ready. As soon as he steps out I get on him and let it rip. He's only 7 -10 yds away. He takes off across my set up in front of me staggering and struggling to stay up. Looks like he goes down. I text my buddy to let him know and get up to go see. I go about 20 yds and see him about another 20 yds away.

I’m not a trophy hunter, haven’t shot a buck since 2007. I was actually hoping the huge doe I saw the week before would show. His rack was kinda funky. The tip of his left side and g3 look like they have been broken or grew funny from an injury or something. And his right g3 is almost nothing. He also has a flat spot on his left side from the base to brow tine from rubbing tree’s I guess. Actually looks like a rub on a tree. Never seen anything like it. Anyway meat in the freezer and those genes out of the pool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	buck (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	24521822
                Last edited by switchback; 11-30-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post

Well Saturday when I went in I had a guy walking around and made almost a complete circle around me. I ended up telling him to walk through my set up to get back there so he could get settled in. It was first light. 7:15 he’s walking 30 yds from me leaving to go somewhere else. At least he left that early and not later.

A little while later I was texting a buddy in another unit. When I looked up and there was a small buck standing in my corn looking away from me like he was watching something. I went to sit my phone down and hit the Siri button and it beeps twice. Just got the new phone the night before. He spins around and looks dead at me, then bounces off to my right. I’m like what else can happen today. I tell my buddy that usually when everything is going wrong that’s usually when something good happens. About 5 minutes later I see a deer in the same direction the little buck was looking. But only for a second. Headed towards the road. I’m looking and looking for about 15 minutes and nothing. I figure it’s not coming my way. About 5 or 10 minutes later I look to my right and there’s a buck standing about 7yds from me. I'm sitting in a brush blind. He doesn’t know I’m there. He sniffs the air and turns to his right and starts coming around towards the corn. I think this is the deer I saw and that the little buck was looking at. I wait til he steps behind a big tree and get ready. As soon as he steps out I get on him and let it rip. He's only 7 -10 yds away. He takes off across my set up in front of me staggering and struggling to stay up. Looks like he goes down. I text my buddy to let him know and get up to go see. I go about 20 yds and see him about another 20 yds away.

I’m not a trophy hunter, haven’t shot a buck since 2007. I was actually hoping the huge doe I saw the week before would show. His rack was kinda funky. The tip of his left side and g3 look like they have been broken or grew funny from an injury or something. And his right g3 is almost nothing. He also has a flat spot on his left side from the base to brow tine from rubbing tree’s I guess. Never seen anything like it. Anyway meat in the freezer and those genes out of the pool.

[ATTACH]885541[/ATTACH]
                  Awesome! Big congrats to you and everyone else on the bucks. I'll be back after them Sunday in a new spot.

Comment

About time, congrats switchback!

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post

I’m not a trophy hunter, haven’t shot a buck since 2007. I was actually hoping the huge doe I saw the week before would show. His rack was kinda funky. The tip of his left side and g3 look like they have been broken or grew funny from an injury or something. And his right g3 is almost nothing. He also has a flat spot on his left side from the base to brow tine from rubbing tree’s I guess. Actually looks like a rub on a tree. Never seen anything like it. Anyway meat in the freezer and those genes out of the pool.

[ATTACH]885541[/ATTACH]
                      Thanks for sharing your story! For someone who hasn't shot a deer in the last couple years I enjoyed the play-by-play story. Congrats!!

Comment

I got a call from a lab breeder last night and if the breeding takes I'm getting first pick male. Sire is a 5XGRHRC and dam is a SH titled dog. Guess I'm going to be training for the next year or so. Brown dog again just like I started many years agoo.

Comment

Congrats on the harvest. Glad to see folks getting on the board with public land bucks. The challenge is tougher than I expected. Going for another all day sit today.

Comment

Storm we want pics of the pup!

Comment

Shes going to be bred this week and confirmed I have 1st pick male. He has Barracuda Blue bloodline.
                              The dam has Reble Ridge Codys Mischief , Aces High and Mad River.

These are the bloodline that all my compeating dogs had so I;m hopeing for the best.
                              The only heartbreaker was a pup from Reble Ridge Codys Mischief he was a great marker, had a great mind and ran some awesome lines as a pup but he had a genetic defect so he was nutered and given away.He was replaced by a breeding of rebel ridge pdq breeding.

Comment

Enjoyed the post swichback, and nice deer!

Comment

Working...
                                X