Canon 30D vs Canon Xsi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 30D vs Canon Xsi

If you had to choice of buying a good condition 30D or a new Xsi, which would you buy. This will be my first DSLR. I've read the reviews online but looking for some of you Canon gurus opinions.

Thanks,

I would lean on the Xsi if it were me.

Comment

I have no experience with a 30D. I purchased the XSi about 2 months ago as my first DSLR, and have really enjoyed using it and learning the art of photography. I have long strides to still take, but it's been great so far. I fast realized it's mush more the idiot behind the camera than the camera itself that makes the picture. The more pictures you take the better you'll be, I guess. If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with my Xsi.

J

Comment

I've not used either. I have an XTi. I'd probably go with the XSi, because I really wish I had LiveView quite often.

Comment

Go with the xsi and I have a 30d. The step up from the xsi is the 50d. 30d's have been out for a few years. The xsi also has a newer Processor. DIGIC III Image Processor v DIGIC II Image Processor in the 30d.

Comment

Xsi is a great camera. I would do the Xsi over the 30D. I would get a 40D/50D over the xsi thou...

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              I've not used either. I have an XTi. I'd probably go with the XSi, because I really wish I had LiveView quite often.
              Live view at 5x and 10x is an incredible feature. I had the chance to pick up a 1DMK2 for a VERY good price and passed because it lacks liveview. ( i would have had to sell my 40d).

Comment

lik everyone else, I'd take the Xsi all day long and twice on Sunday

Comment

I have also been looking at making the move to DSLR and have made my mind up on buying Canon (XT, XTI, XSI) as per what I have read from you guys.... But I have a newby question about this live view thingy!!!.... What exactly is it and how does it benefit your shooting???

Comment

Xsi

Comment

Originally posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
                      I have also been looking at making the move to DSLR and have made my mind up on buying Canon (XT, XTI, XSI) as per what I have read from you guys.... But I have a newby question about this live view thingy!!!.... What exactly is it and how does it benefit your shooting???
                      LiveView is what all point and shoot cameras have, but not all DSLRs have. It's when you can see on the LCD screen what your lens is seeing. Without LiveView, you look through the viewfinder to see through the lens and frame your picture.

There are times when looking through the viewfinder is better than LiveView too, though. So having both in a DSLR like the XSi or 50D would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        LiveView is what all point and shoot cameras have, but not all DSLRs have. It's when you can see on the LCD screen what your lens is seeing. Without LiveView, you look through the viewfinder to see through the lens and frame your picture.

There are times when looking through the viewfinder is better than LiveView too, though. So having both in a DSLR like the XSi or 50D would be sweet.

Thanks for the explanation Shane... I have a S3 IS P&S now and it has that as well... I am glad I ran into this thread as I could definitely see where that would be a desired option and be something to look for... Good info brother, thanks!!!

Comment

Apparently I made a bad choice. I was asking myself the same question and just bought a 30D. Really like it so far.

Comment

AggieHunter, your 30D is very likely a much better camera than my XTi. I still enjoy taking pics with the XTi though.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieHunter View Post
                              Apparently I made a bad choice. I was asking myself the same question and just bought a 30D. Really like it so far.
                              No bad choice here, the 30D is a great camera! I just like the live view enough for macro (thats about all i use it for) that I would choose the Xsi if it was just between the two. My knee jerk is to say Xsi, but honestly I've only had XXD series DSLR's and I can't work with the ***D models well because I am used to the functionality, layout and build quality of the XXD.

Comment

Working...
                              X