D200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D200

Whats the thoughts about the Nikon D 200. I have found one on sale for 600 and think I might grab it. I see all the others D60 and D80 but the 200 seams top of the line. It doesnt come with any lenses just the Body Only but I hate buying things like this and it being outdated in a couple years. Mabye in a few years this one will still be a mid range camera with the new technology. My other ? is I have some gang nice lenses for my 35 mm cannon, is there any way to adapt them to this camera?

Any info will be great, I take awesome pics with the 35 and would love to upgrade to a digital.

Just my .02, but if you have nice Cannon lenses, I would buy a nice cannon body. I did some searching for adapters and you can find a few on ebay, completely manual, and not name brand. Don't know if they would even work. Asked a few people who would know and nobody had heard of an adapter from one brand to another.

Comment

I don't think your cannon lenses will marry with the nikon.

I shoot a D200. It's a pretty fair camera but if you are worried about it being outdated, it already is by the D300 and D700 (althought the D700 is full frame sensor and a bit more cha-ching)

Comment

Yeah, if you want to use your Canon lenses, stick with a Canon body. Are they EF mount lenses?

You can pick up a slightly used Canon 40D for 600-700 bucks. I am not sure how that compares to the D200 as I am not real familiar with Nikon cameras.

As far as being "outdated," its just like all electronics items. You are either happy with what you have or are always thristy for more.

Comment

they do make an adapter but you lose your depth of field, as i've been told.

Comment

I shoot the D200 as well as LegDog. It is a great camera but if you get into chasing the latest and greatest, you will end up buying a new body about every year and a half. As LegDog said, the D200 has been replaced by the D300. The D700 has the full frame sensor. The D300 is at 1700 dollars right now and the D700 is about 2400 dollars.
            I have been thinking about stepping up to the D300 but it also has been out for awhile and I asked my local camera dealer what they knew about a replacement for the D300 and he told me the only thing they have heard is that they might come out with a D300 that is capable of shooting video, like the D700.
            If you do decide to stick with Canon, just make sure the lenses you already have will compatible with the body you want to purchase.

Comment

I'm thinking about stepping up to a D300 also. I wonder if they'll drop in price in the next month or two. I'm going on vacation in July so I can still wait a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by daphysicist View Post
                I'm thinking about stepping up to a D300 also. I wonder if they'll drop in price in the next month or two. I'm going on vacation in July so I can still wait a little while.
                I made the jump from a D70 to the D300 and was blown away. It's well worth the amount that I paid. Check Amazon.com as they have decent prices and don't charge tax.

Also, if you go the D300 route, make sure you score this book: David Busch's Nikon D300 Guide. It made all the difference in the world in helping me get up to speed with the rig. Here are a couple of shots from my camera.

Comment

I am looking at buying a D300 to become my main body and keeping D200 as a backup. The only thing I am concerned about is that it has been out quite a while and is about time for Nikon to upgrade it. I have not been able to find out anything to confirm that but just don't want to drop $1700 bucks if a new one is just around the corner. I have heard nothing but great things about the D300.
                  I am shooting a wedding in July and want to be sure to have a backup body by that time.

Comment

Working...
                  X