No announcement yet.

Favorite .30-06 Round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All that said, I just shoot 150 grain core locks in my 3006.

Comment

Hornady Superformance SST in whichever bullet weight your rifle likes. 150-165-180gr

Or the new Hornady ELD-X

Comment

hornady sst

Comment

My Remington 30-06 likes 150 grain hornady. dropped a couple of deer with them and I can shoot a .75" group with them.

Comment

Mine likes that new Winchester XP in 150 grain. Those things are accurate and knock some deer down. Mine is an older BDL and it likes just about any ammo. I love that rifle.

Comment

168amax but if I️ bought some it would be the 178eldx

Comment

Hornady 165gr sst killed everything I ever shot with it

Comment

Corelokts worked well when I used an 06.

Comment

I shoot the Winchester 180gr PowerMax and it is a truly devastating cartridge in my Model 70. The PowerMax design is a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                      Extremely accurate, extremely deadly. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...on-polymer-tip
                      After reading lots of reviews, I picked up two boxes of this today.

Excited to see how it shoots, should be at the range in the next few days.

Thanks for all of the tips!

Comment

my 742 shoots just about everything good, though i prefer 180 gr. no matter what brand
                        and i prefer to shoot through the shoulders also, never had anything run... the bullet you bought should do the trick, i hunt with two people that use them and they are nasty!

Comment

For an inexpensive hunting round I would go with the Federal Fusion. I have put that ammo through 4 different rifles and 3 different calibers (308, 30-06, 7mm mag) and it has produced .375 to .875 MOA groups at 100 yards and even sub moa groups at 500 yds when I tried with the 7mm mag. The 30-06 was the tightest groups 3/8" at 100yds with the 165 grain in a 1:10 twist out of a Remington 783. Hornady SST is a good one if you can find a grain weight that shoots well through your rifle. If you are wanting to drop something in its tracks that's more of shot placement than bullet selection. I have blown lungs out the other side of a doe with hunting bullets shooting behind the shoulder and she ran 65-75 yards and I have dropped 230 pound muledeer in his tracks with match bullet shooting in the high shoulder. I have seen the same scenario with other hunters as well.

I like to buy cheap boxes of all different grain weights that I can find and shoot them and see which grain weight does the best and then start getting better factory loads in that grain weight. As far as price, consistency in velocities, and accuracy Hornady and Federal are hard to beat.
                          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 11-28-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                            My scope was recently bumped so my rifle is off and I figured now would be a good time to switch ammo. I've been using core lokt since I was a kid but lately I haven't been impressed with knockdown power. I've killed 3 deer and a coyote, all good shots, and none have dropped. Blood trails aren't that great either.

What's your suggestion?
                            What brand of rifle do you shoot?

Comment

I wish Winchester would make Silvertips again. My old model 70 loved the 150s.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                                What brand of rifle do you shoot?
                                Browning BAR. Was my pop's way back when.

Comment

Working...
                                X