Thinking of trying Lyft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of trying Lyft

We are closing on a house in two days, the wife is going to stop teaching at the end of the school year to stay home with the baby , and I’m worried about the old dollar. We will be shopping for insurance and I’m thinking of doing Lyft on the weekend nights to make some money to help cover insurance cost. Anybody here drive for Lyft or anything of the like?

Not sure what the closest large city to you is but guys here in Austin seem to do pretty well. When we have big events we have a lot of people come in from everywhere to drive

Comment

I don't drive for either one of them, but have ridden with people who have lyft and uber symbols on their car. They ran both apps and snagged riders where ever they were, so they weren't sitting idle. That kinda seems like what a person would need to do to make any real money doing it, especially on slow nights.

But if y drove for just one of them, I'm sure you could be above the break even point if you choose your driving nights wisely.

Comment

It’ll be Dallas area and maybe Ft. Worth depending on what happening around town. I also think it would be fun. I’m a people person and love meeting new people so what better way to do that and possibly effect someone’s life positively... They’d probably be surprised to be picked up in a Ram 2500 country boy truck with camo seat covers lol.

Comment

I used Lyft in salt lake city while I was there, the driver loved it

Comment

I would search, Does driving for Lyft/uber really make you money.

I looked into it and seemed over the long game to be a break even at beast.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
              It’ll be Dallas area and maybe Ft. Worth depending on what happening around town. I also think it would be fun. I’m a people person and love meeting new people so what better way to do that and possibly effect someone’s life positively... They’d probably be surprised to be picked up in a Ram 2500 country boy truck with camo seat covers lol.
              Gona be hard to make money in that beast.

Plus, your wife is gona want some help with the baby.

With a teacher's salary, it should still be a net positive for her to work while paying for daycare. Any chance of that happening until baby number 2? Just a thought...if money is tight.

Comment

Also, what are the liablilities if you get into a serious accident?

Comment

I used both a lot for work. From the drivers I’ve talked to Lyft seems to be preferred, better pay and better pay system. Plus I’m not sure if Uber let’s riders tip. You’ll need to look into your car insurance, I believe some make you carry an additional rider for being a ride share driver.

Last lady that took me to the airport drove for lyft full time and she said she did just over $30k, this was in dfw.

I wouldn’t be able to deal with all the drunks but I’ve heard some great stories

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                    Gona be hard to make money in that beast.

Plus, your wife is gona want some help with the baby.

With a teacher's salary, it should still be a net positive for her to work while paying for daycare. Any chance of that happening until baby number 2? Just a thought...if money is tight.

Baby will be 1 in August, so hopefully sleeping through the night. We also have a 3 and 7 yo. Day care alone for the two little ones would kill us. She might try to find part time work if needed. My buddy made $450 Saturday and Sunday night between 8:30-12:30. My shop will cover the gas so I’m not to worried about that.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      Also, what are the liablilities if you get into a serious accident?

Still researching this...

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        I used both a lot for work. From the drivers I’ve talked to Lyft seems to be preferred, better pay and better pay system. Plus I’m not sure if Uber let’s riders tip. You’ll need to look into your car insurance, I believe some make you carry an additional rider for being a ride share driver.

Last lady that took me to the airport drove for lyft full time and she said she did just over $30k, this was in dfw.

I wouldn’t be able to deal with all the drunks but I’ve heard some great stories

I’m looking forward to some great stories and would love knowing someone is making it home safely... I like you can do it when you want and don’t when you don’t. Still in early stages of researching it.

Thanks for all the input gents!

Comment

Baby will be 1 in August, so hopefully sleeping through the night. We also have a 3 and 7 yo. Day care alone for the two little ones would kill us. She might try to find part time work if needed. My buddy made $450 Saturday and Sunday night between 8:30-12:30. My shop will cover the gas so I’m not to worried about that.
                          Ahh gotcha. Yes, daycare for more than one is pricey!!

Comment

If nothing else, you could work the hot spots on holiday weekends. High demand and I think rates increase

Comment

We are closing on a house in two days, the wife is going to stop teaching at the end of the school year to stay home with the baby , and I’m worried about the old dollar. We will be shopping for insurance and I’m thinking of doing Lyft on the weekend nights to make some money to help cover insurance cost. Anybody here drive for Lyft or anything of the like?
                              Just so you know, you can't drive for Lyft or any of the other ride services with regular consumer car insurance. They'll refuse to pay any claims and fire you as a customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X