No announcement yet.

Hunting Alone At The Lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it when I am the only one at the ranch. Hunting is always better when the others are not there. No 4 wheelers running all over the place during middle of the day. BIL and nephews don't understand that they are running deer off the place when they do this. They miss seeing many of the deer that they could have because they just bust into the stands and the same leaving after they hunt. Deer know when they are there. I can sneak in and out and see triple the amount of deer. It is more relaxing when it is just me.

Comment

I like hunting alone.

Comment

Back in college I would finish finals and take off for the lease. We had 7000 acres north of Ozona. By day the three I’d be talking to myself. I’d get done hunting in the evening, eat, and be in bed by 7:30. You know you’ve been there a long time when the other hunters show up for the second weekend in a row and you’ve never left from when they were there a week earlier.

Comment

When we had our lease I was almost always there alone and it drove my wife and mom crazy. They were always worried something would happen and I would be out if cell range. Kind of like I didn't tell my parents all the crazy high school stories until I was almost 30, I kept the close calls at the lease under wraps until we let it go.

Comment

I like it sometimes but really like company. For me too it is a safety issue. 63 years old, minor stoke, i try to be careful. that said i don't go anywhere on the lease without a couple pistols and a rifle, my phone, and a 1st aid kit on my 4 wheeler. it sure is relaxing by yourself sitting back the campfire, a little bourbon, and a bazillion stars.
            Last edited by texan4ut; 11-22-2017, 08:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I hunt alone quite a bit, but lately I’ll take my Parents and they’ll watch the kids.

Comment

I went to bed one night and could hear children laughing outside. Like 2-4yr old children. I just hugged the glock a little tighter and went to bed. No way was I going outside to look.

Comment

I read an article a couple of weeks ago now that this subject was brought up.

It said outdoors men are 10 times more likely to be severely injured/killed when they are out in the wild by themselves. Camping, hunting, fishing trips etc.

Reading it it stated the most minor situations can go bad. Sprained ankle, infection, snake bites etc. I can see that happening.

I am not young and a few health issues as well. Cell phone service is more miss then hit where I am at. I like me time, clearing my mind without anyone.

But now I am where company has to almost be a must.

Comment

I hunt alone 99% of the time. Always have. Hunt a lot harder. But I do really miss the campfire beers and cooking and hanging out. Really looking forward to my new lease this next year. Hunting good deer with good folks and relaxing

Comment

I am the only one on my lease, so I always hunt alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like to hunt alone. When the schedule and vacation time allows, I like to take week and hunt alone. I like the challenge - it really makes you think about everything you do. I still climb and hunt from trees, but I make sure to tie in, three points of contact etc. Its tough but rewarding when you kill something since there's no one around to help track, clean an animal or hold the light. Even makes you think about how you use the knife. I try to anticipate every little detail, how I could get hurt, and how to prevent it. I still have to contact the wife at a set time to let her know everything is OK - she has the landowners phone number and the numbers for the GW. I also know she would put a stop to it if I came home wounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                          I know this has been brought up a hundred times, but I just like hearing all the new stories about hunting alone at the ranch. I will be at my ranch for the next 8 days and there are times it's go and times it's boring. The only thing I hate the most is going by the old homestead house on the ranch makes my hair stand up in the mornings/evening coming in from the hunt. Plus being in the middle of know where my wife gets a little nervous.
                          You don't have to twist my arm to come down and hunt. Haha

Comment

Ive killed my last 2 deer in camp alone. I don't mind it but after a day or two it sucks.

Paddled about 3 miles in the marsh by myself last week fishing. For some reason my wife didn't like the marsh trip but doesn't mind me being in the woods alone

Comment

I hunt and fish by myself at least 80% of the time due to my work schedule. iN my option I see way more deer at the lease when I'm by my self and can also hunt wherever I want and I'm way quieter. And for fishing I love pulling up to the ramp and being the only truck there!

Comment

I am never really alone at camp as when nobody comes I take my dog , he doesn't mind sleeping in if I drink to much and only barks @ a holes " hence why he only goes when camp is empty "
                                I don't mind fishing offshore by my self but only out to maybe 50 miles
                                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-22-2017, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X