No announcement yet.

Is it really only worth ~7k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s painful to let a vehicle go for next to nothing. I just traded in a 2008 Z71 suburban with 168K miles. I am the original owner. I probably had 8k in it just in bumpers, tires, wheels and suspension. They gave me 3,500 trade in. I’m sure one of those guys just took it to their ranch for a high end ride. Lesson learned. You don’t get much of anything back on all the extra money you put into it.

Comment

9th
      Originally posted by smokeless View Post
      If you can get 7 for it, let it go. Do you know what a replacement 5.4 , installed , cost ?? It’s more than what the trucks worth.
      Not true.....

I just replaced mine @ 276k......Powersource out of Memphis, but, it's an AER engine (as are virtually ALL remans... including Ford).

I paid $3100 delivered, in this case to a Ford dealership that's owned by a good friend. The engine has a 3 year/100k "no fault" warranty. If you choose the normal 3 year/100k warranty it's $2700. They charged me $1100 to install it.

So brand new zero time "bulletproofed" 5.4 3v installed with a 3 year/100k "no fault" warranty was $4,200.00 out the door.

I opted to replace everything imaginable while the engine was out....latest and greatest AC, heavy duty alternator, power steering pump, radiator, etc etc etc along with EVERY hose, belt, etc. We even changed out every single wire, sensor, etc that showed substantive wear.

Total was just north of $7k all in.

To me I had 3 choices....

1.....take out a 50k+ note to get the truck I wanted....King Ranch, 4x4, crew, etc etc....then additional expense of leveling/lifting plus tires. Non starter for me as I don't do car notes. To knowingly lose money....just can't do it. If I could use the truck as a business tax deduction I might do it, but, I can't.

2.....go to the auction and buy what I want used, which I've done before, and risk that I might well be buying somebody else's problem. (Or do the FB Classifieds, Craigslist, etc search) I love the 1st generation Raptors, but, they were going through the ring at the time for +/- $30k with 125k+ on the odometer. Again, a nonstarter for me.

3.....Rebuild a truck I know well, is in excellent overall condition, and love, into essentially a new truck.

I chose option #3.....and it's been a fun project. Nobody can figure out exactly what it is, but, they sure don't think it's 13 years old.

Btw, I'm WELL aware that I couldn't sell my truck for what I've now got in it. However, I was offered 12k for it awhile back and turned it down flat. (could sell for more than that)

The way I figure it, ALL common vehicles are, in the end, going to be a financial loss. It's not IF it's just how much.....
      Last edited by Slicefixer; 02-08-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
        I’ll only buy new. Been there done that with used
        I tend to fall in this category with diesels, but I wouldn’t be scared to buy a used gas.
        You can fix a lot of crap on a used gas vehicle for the amount you lose buying new

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          I tend to fall in this category with diesels, but I wouldn’t be scared to buy a used gas.
          You can fix a lot of crap on a used gas vehicle for the amount you lose buying new
          ......yep.....👍

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
            9th

Not true.....

I just replaced mine @ 276k......Powersource out of Memphis, but, it's an AER engine (as are virtually ALL remans... including Ford).

I paid $3100 delivered, in this case to a Ford dealership that's owned by a good friend. The engine has a 3 year/100k "no fault" warranty. If you choose the normal 3 year/100k warranty it's $2700. They charged me $1100 to install it.

So brand new zero time "bulletproofed" 5.4 3v installed with a 3 year/100k "no fault" warranty was $4,200.00 out the door.

I opted to replace everything imaginable while the engine was out....latest and greatest AC, heavy duty alternator, power steering pump, radiator, etc etc etc along with EVERY hose, belt, etc. We even changed out every single wire, sensor, etc that showed substantive wear.

Total was just north of $7k all in.

To me I had 3 choices....

1.....take out a 50k+ note to get the truck I wanted....King Ranch, 4x4, crew, etc etc....then additional expense of leveling/lifting plus tires. Non starter for me as I don't do car notes. To knowingly lose money....just can't do it. If I could use the truck as a business tax deduction I might do it, but, I can't.

2.....go to the auction and buy what I want used, which I've done before, and risk that I might well be buying somebody else's problem. (Or do the FB Classifieds, Craigslist, etc search) I love the 1st generation Raptors, but, they were going through the ring at the time for +/- $30k with 125k+ on the odometer. Again, a nonstarter for me.

3.....Rebuild a truck I know well, is in excellent overall condition, and love, into essentially a new truck.

I chose option #3.....and it's been a fun project. Nobody can figure out exactly what it is, but, they sure don't think it's 13 years old.

Btw, I'm WELL aware that I couldn't sell my truck for what I've now got in it. However, I was offered 12k for it awhile back and turned it down flat. (could sell for more than that)

The way I figure it, ALL common vehicles are, in the end, going to be a financial loss. It's not IF it's just how much.....
            pretty sure you just proved his point here. You spent 7K to replace the engine in your truck with 276K and it MIGHT be worth 8-10K now depending on the year and condition. No way a truck with a 3v 5.4 with that many miles is worth 12k. you should have taken tjat guys money and run.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
              pretty sure you just proved his point here. You spent 7K to replace the engine in your truck with 276K and it MIGHT be worth 8-10K now depending on the year and condition. No way a truck with a 3v 5.4 with that many miles is worth 12k. you should have taken tjat guys money and run.
              Wrong.
              If he runs another 276k, he just saved 30k.

Comment

I was wanting a new f250 gas this year, being 63 felt like it would be my last. I have a 2008 f250 v-10 with only 75,000 miles, after pricing the new ones and what they were going to give me for mine I just decided to keep mine. Went and put all new body bushings and new shocks, rides like a new one and its mine, and only spent $670 instead of $70,000.00

God Bless
                Bish
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                  I was wanting a new f250 gas this year, being 63 felt like it would be my last. I have a 2008 f250 v-10 with only 75,000 miles, after pricing the new ones and what they were going to give me for mine I just decided to keep mine. Went and put all new body bushings and new shocks, rides like a new one and its mine, and only spent $670 instead of $70,000.00

God Bless
                  Bish
                  Interested if you ever decide to sell.

Comment

Question. Put a lot into older vehicle fix it up as above, worst case get in an accident I would guess insurance will only pay for a 15 year old vehicle value, not for new engine, tranny etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                      If you find a Shelby for $70k buy two
                      I could probably get you one for 62k

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                        I could probably get you one for 62k

A new F150 Shelby?

Comment

Originally posted by Milkfisher View Post
                          Sir, you're wrong..... did you read what I wrote???

"No way a truck with a 3v 5.4 with that many miles is worth 12k." WHERE exactly did I say the aforementioned??? I was offered 12k for it in it's PRESENT condition.

Next......

I paid $4,200.00 to replace the engine.....

The additional expense I incurred was BY CHOICE to bring the truck back to as close to as new condition as possible. It was NOT necessary to do anything beyond replacing the engine.....the rest was my choice. Mine kicked a p0016 code at 276k, but, was still running fine with no noise, etc. However, on TorquePro it was kicking misfires like a slot machine (couldn't feel them) so I knew the inevitable conclusion....especially with the 5.4 3v. 276k was a pretty good run for any engine, much less an over-engineered pita 5.4. (Though it does go to show what proper maintenance can do)

His truck, in excellent condition, IS worth +/- $7k and very possibly more in a PRIVATE sale IMOP.

He WON'T get that if he trades with a dealer. (but the dealer might... 😉 )

HOWEVER, IF it's in the condition he describes (excellent inside and out)...with an excellent PROVABLE service history.... and IF it's thoroughly detailed .....and IF he can take proper pictures....and IF he understands how to sell using social media, eBay, Craigslist, FB Classifieds etc etc etc he'll get $7k or more. He just has to find the right buyer.

Get the presentation correct and in front of enough eyeballs then you've got a chance to sell the truck for its maximum value.

Another thing, in my experience ANY 4wd truck in EXCELLENT condition will bring considerably more than average book value of the same truck in average condition.... CONSIDERABLY more.

I've also found that with 4wd trucks in good condition there's a floor that they all reach no matter their age.....+/- $3k or so. The only trucks I've seen below that were in below average condition. (most were junk)

One other thing, I've witnessed with my own eyes experienced used car dealers/buyers pay considerably more than "book" for vehicles at auction that were in outstanding condition, etc. It simply depended upon what they needed on their lot......or who they were buying for.... dealership, individual...current market conditions...etc.

Btw, how can you conject what the value of my truck is when you've never seen it..... driven it....know nothing about it. etc etc etc?? Are you proposing that YOUR opinion of a vehicles worth (sight unseen) is representative of every individual??
                          Last edited by Slicefixer; 02-08-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            Wrong.
                            If he runs another 276k, he just saved 30k.
                            .....or more.....😉

Comment

I have a 2007 Silverado extended cab with $170k miles. Mint body and interior. I am thinking mine is worth maybe $3500. Spent $2200 on it the last 6 months. Gonna keep it till it dies and put a carburated 350 in it.

Comment

It’s not worth very much.

Start saving for a new one and drive that one into the dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X