Teachers/Coaches the time is near.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teachers/Coaches the time is near.

This has undoubtedly been the strangest year of my teaching career. Doing this online learning/teaching for behavior kids has not been what it needs to be, but nothing I can do about it.

The district said do your Math and ELAR and if you have time, do your SC/SS and then the PE, ART, Music and our Social Skills lessons drag the rear. It is what it is. Grades in our district or on the PIE scale: Passing if you try anything, Incomplete if you turn nothing in and Exempt if you do not have access to the internet which some of my kids and Gen Ed do not!

Originally they wanted us and the kids working on the computer form 8 to 4 or at least 7 hours of training, work, Google Classroom, but that bombed quickly when most learned Home Schooling kids spent way less than 4 hours doing academics, more like 3 hours or less.

A lot changed, our meetings changed, grading changed, assignments changed and here we are at least in this district 4 1/2 days form the end of school. It to me would have been way easier and way more beneficial to the students to have been in school instead of this online so called learning. Not sure any one student learned anything!

I only hope these kids survive moving to another grade level while missing a lot in instruction they need. The GREATEST thing that happened was the elimination of the STAAR tests, I despise them and they do no good except for making money for the former principals and Admin that lease/sell it to the Texas schools! Total waste of close to 100 million each year. Enough of my rant.

For those of you that are staying in this profession, good luck next year, I hope things go smoothly for you and your students. I feel the students will be impacted more form this than the teachers and parents, although the parents may realize how bad their kids really are!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay the course and good luck. Friday at noon I am officially RETIRED!

So awesome, Congrats!!!!
    Education is really changing, especially when it comes to the Special population. You getting out at the perfect time.
    Enjoy!!!!

Comment

Congrats to you for sticking it out. Got a few more years to go, and the future is unclear, but with God's help we will make it! Been crazy, but at this point, just glad i have a job.

Comment

I feel for teachers---we have 4-5-6 in our Sunday School class and it is wearing on them---two groups of kids--their own, and their classes.

Paper today had a column bragging on the ISD for contacting 100% of the kids --- which according to the teachers I've talked with is pure B.S.

Comment

Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy your new freedom.

Comment

Congratulations!!

Comment

Nice , congrats

Comment

Congrats. I referee football with a guy who’s recently retired. He says “I highly recommend it!”

Enjoy some well deserved time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your service. My wife teaches and is livid with the current situation. It's embarrassing what our state has done with education......

Comment

thank you for all the good things you have done for everyone else' kids through the years.

Comment

I have been in the education business for 28 yrs as a teacher/coach, Principal, and now Director of Student Services and this has been the craziest sh@& I have ever seen in my career. The kids are gonna suffer and districts better plan wisely financally looking forward due to the States lack of revenue/funds. It will take a while for us all to recover from this crap. CONGRATS on your retirement !!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones. I have 10 Grand kids and 9 of them have a mom are dad that is a teacher. The other one has a great mom and dad, so no problem. They will all do good and get caught up in time.

Comment

My district has another week and a half to go. I've had a handful working hard online or paper packets and a handful have not turned in a thing. The rest of my 115 students are somewhere in between. It will be interesting to see what happens in the fall.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

I read an article that said 70% of people said teaching school is a harder job than their own job is. 77% said teachers deserve a raise (which isn't going to happen since the economy tanked). Good luck and congrats on the retirement. I got talked into returning for my 34th year, but I assured them this would be my last.

Comment

I taught and coached for 3 years form 75-78 then was in the private sector until 2012 when I got back as a TA in Dec 2012. got my Special Ed certification in the summer of 2015 and have taught the behavior kids since then for 5 years.
                              Funny thing is I have come full circle from college but this would have been my 44th full year of teaching if I had decided to stay in the profession. Wow!, but I do not regret anything I did along the way. I just know I have way more respect for any teacher after the last 5 years for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X