Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s only 100 acres but it sure feels good to say I’m going to the ranch instead of the lease. People don’t like it, they don’t have to visit. Curious if you bought you a place and had a sign made would you put land, property or ranchette on the sign.

Comment

The "the other side of the ranch" forum suggest we're on a ranch.

What are the rules for digital ranches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Salad dressing

Comment

Both of my deer leases are working cattle ranches with ranchers and lots of cows. I hope I’ve never upset anyone if I stated I was going to the ranch

Comment

I can’t believe I’M the one who has to explain this to all you boys, but it’s real simple so listen up—

If you’re growing crops, it’s a FARM. Ain’t too many of those around here.

If you’re raising livestock (not as pets), it’s a RANCH.

If you own property upon which you perpetrate neither of these two endeavors, it’s called a PLACE. I.e., “We got a place up near...” or “Where’s your place at?” (Note: it is considered improper grammar to use proper grammar when talking about your “place.” Dangling participles and colloquial contractions (ain’t) imply a certain amount of sophistry; an être au currant, if you will.)

Geez, Kevin...

Comment

I would join in, but I'm packing up to head to the KCA Ranch. All 21 acres of it. I'm ranching feral hogs, fireants, moles and yaupon.
              Last edited by Chew; 05-27-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I've got a 3 acre chicken farm, and a 20'x20' tomato ranch, also a clawfoot coy lake, that I spend my evenings cowboying on, and y'all can all kiss my rear if you think any different. [emoji16]

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Livestock-Ranch, Crops-Farm, Nothing-Piece of land

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    I can’t believe I’M the one who has to explain this to all you boys, but it’s real simple so listen up—

If you own property upon which you perpetrate neither of these two endeavors, it’s called a PLACE. I.e., “We got a place up near...” or “Where’s your place at?” (Note: it is considered improper grammar to use proper grammar when talking about your “place.” Dangling participles and colloquial contractions (ain’t) imply a certain amount of sophistry; an être au currant, if you will.)

Geez, Kevin...

Dangling participles have been the downfall of many a man.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We had 800 acres in Oklahoma and raised cattle, wheat, milo, soybeans. We called it a farm.

Comment

I like you & the way you came out of the gates...many thanks for the contributions & value to the forum.

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post

Geez, Kevin...

Comment

Originally posted by rjs68 View Post
                          Since sizes are being discussed here when does a stock tank become a lake?
                          Simple. When it’s primary purpose is no longer to use it to water your livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                            Whatever you want....we're in exactly the same boat, and we call ours the ranch.

We have 140 acres and are planning to add 130 acres to it.
                            We will use the same ranch gate to access the whole thing.

If I get the opportunity, we will buy every acre that comes up for sale that touches our place.

I wonder how much of Llano county I have to buy before I can get away with calling it a ranch?
                            What was it the old rancher said? “I don’t want to own everything, just the land that touches my ranch.”

Comment

Ranch dressing!

Comment

Originally posted by lmartin5 View Post
                                IMO...greater than 1,000 acres is a ranch. Anything less is a farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                A ranch and a farm are two different things. If you’re not tilling, seeding, growing, and harvesting, then you’re not farming. A 900 acre cattle operation is still a ranch, and never a farm.

Comment

Working...
                                X