XJ project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XJ project

Im finally back in the jeep club. Found this ole girl on craiglist. Picked her up for a grand. 1990 cherokee sport. 4x4 works. Runs and drives.

Got home and hit O'reilly's. Plugs, wires, cap,rotor, oil change, throttle position sensor. check,check,check,check,check,check.

Started tearing off plastic and rubber.

Started searching the book face and the inner web for tires. Didnt take long at all.

5 tires and wheels. 31x10.50x15 500$

The only downside is they put me in a bit of a quandary. Do i now go with 3" lift or a 4.5" like i original planned? Im a little afraid they are a tad small for a 4.5

Very cool... Congrats

Comment

That's awesome. I have been looking for one just like that. Have fun with the project.

Comment

I'm having a blast so far. Wheels and tires tomorrow along with valve cover gasket and some brake work

Comment

So much fun!

Comment

XJ project

Originally posted by Yardero View Post
            So much fun!

I'm pretty jealous of that build you have going on . Is that a rough country bumper on the front?

Comment

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
              I'm pretty jealous of that build you have going on . Is that a rough country bumper on the front?
              I have no idea buddy, it was already on the jeep when he brought it to me. Whatever it is I like it and it's built very well

Comment

If you're gonna be doing any true rock climbing I'd go with whatever lift gives you the most flex

Comment

Man I'm jealous of your project! I use to have an XJ, sold her for way too cheap and now I'm in the market for another. I had the 3.5" short-arm lift from Rubicon Express w/full leaf spring packs for the rear, JKS sway bar disco's, control arm lowering brackets from Trailmaster, transfercase lowering bracket from Superlift, slip yoke eliminator kit from Advance Adapters, and custom drive shaft from Tom Woods.

I did a lot of crawling but nothing overly technical and only got stuck a handful of times that I can remember. Usually it was high-centered and or my rear wheel pushed up into my fender well too hard for anything to budge under my own power (so consider bump stops).

All that being said, I think you'll be happy with the 3.5" lift. You won't get as much body roll as you would with the 4.5" either. I would also highly suggest two things while you have it up on a lift: 1. getting some support up on the front part of your uni-body frame (Google "Jeep XJ Frame Stiffeners"); 2. and replacing your tie rod / drag link rod ends. It is inevitable that the rod ends will wear out with larger tires and the increased angles in the steering linkage due to the lift.

Good luck man!

Comment

I am currently waiting on my metalcloak duroflex 3.5" lift (http://www.metalcloak.com/Duroflex-L...Arm-p/7181.htm) to come in. I'll be running 31x10.50/15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Unless you plan on going with a larger tire, I would stick with the 3.5" lift. I also have a Hack & Tap SYE en route.

Comment

Originally posted by WildMatt84 View Post
                      It looks like a stock bumper with the end caps removed.

Comment

Nice! Following.

Comment

XJ project

31's installed along with new rotors, calipers, and pads up front

The 26th and my lift kit can't get here soon enough
                          Last edited by WildMatt84; 05-15-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Turns out black rims weren't actually black. Kind of like the steel look better

Comment

Riding 3" taller now

Comment

Working...
                              X