East Tx with Droptine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Tx with Droptine

What a ride it has been hunting this buck.

I started out typing a story about the close encounters I have had with him but I am just going to get to the one that matters. Short story is I missed him on October 12th, and got a second chance at him on October 29th. On the morning of the 29th I was hunting in a climber on a trail leading to a scrape that I had seen him work before. At 8:30 he came in and worked the scrape but came from the opposite direction that I was expecting, and hoping for. The wind was still in my favor but he was going to have to cross the path I walked in on to give me a broadside shot. After working the scrape he headed towards me on a trail that would lead him to 15 yards broadside. As he closed the distance my mind was racing, trying to decide if I should stop him, or take a shot at him walking. Since it was such a close shot, I decided to take the walking shot. As soon as I let it go I knew I had made a mistake. I hit him a little high and way back from where I was aiming. I did not get a pass through and I watched him run out of sight with my arrow sticking out both sides. I was sick! I knew if I got anything it was going to be liver or top of the gut. I got down and waited until after lunch to look for him. When I returned I could not find any blood, guts, hair, anything. I searched down the trail he ran out on and still found nothing. I decided to go ahead and call for a dog and a few helpers. When the dog arrived he was unable to find it either. We searched all afternoon and found not a trace that I had even hit the deer. Thursday morning I sat in a boxstand overlooking a pipeline near where I had shot him and saw a buck that I thought was him chasing a doe way up a pipeline. By Thursday afternoon after no signs of buzzards I had almost convinced myself that maybe the buck had made it. I decided to hunt there again Friday morning and to look even more when I was done. No luck again. Friday afternoon I returned and noticed a couple of buzzards way off. I drove in as close as I could and watched to see if any were going down. I spotted one that landed in a dead tree in the middle of a clear cut and I headed for it. I found what was left of my buck almost one mile from where I shot him. I hate that it took so long but was happy that I found him.

He is 18 1/2 inside with 23 inch main beams, and also has a little split drop tine. I have not scored him yet but will post tomorrow when I do.
    Last edited by EastTx; 10-31-2014, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Wow, glad u found him. Shots like that are part of bow hunting I guess, all we can do is try to minimize the bad ones.

Congrats and post pics!!
      Last edited by bigmike585; 10-31-2014, 11:04 PM. Reason: oops, just realized u posted pics

Comment

Awesome!!! Great story and congrats on that trophy!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike585 View Post
          Wow, glad u found him. Shots like that are part of bow hunting I guess, all we can do is try to minimize the bad ones.

Congrats and post pics!!
          I learned a lesson from this one.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
            Awesome!!! Great story and congrats on that trophy!
            Thanks.

Comment

Good reminder for the rest of us not to take a walking shot.

Congrats on getting him!

Comment

Cool buck...Congrats.

Comment

Just checked him out again, man that's a good buck, cool drop time.

I'm in the tree in etx this am, hope something like that cruises by.

Comment

Congrats on a Stud!

Comment

Cool deer!

Comment

Way to stick with it

Awesome. That's a great feeling. Its amazing how tough these animals are sometimes. I shot my buck last weekend in Arkansas with a muzzleloader. The weekend before that my buddy had shot the SAME buck with his crossbow right below the spine with a clean pass though and could never find him. All that was left a week later were two small scabs on either side of his back. Could barely even tell that deer had be shot a week earlier!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Awesome, going to get me a place in East Texas some how some way.

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X