Heater won't turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater won't turn off

The heater upstairs didn't turn off all night apparently. Went up around noon and it was 99°. Had to flip the breaker to make it stop. Any ideas that would cause this?

Thermostat or shorted wires? Is it gas or electric? Heat pump?

Comment

mine has done this before when the thermostat came loose from the wall. pushed it back in place where all the contacts connected and it was good to go.

Comment

Its electric, the thermostat is still secure on the wall. Even turning it off at the thermostat didnt work

Comment

when it sticks on, go smack your furnace and see if it goes off. I had that happen and had to change a switch on the furnace. It was cheap and easy.

Comment

possible bad sequencer

Comment

I switched out the thermostat with the one downstairs and it still wont turn off. It will change from heat to ac though

Comment

One positive out of this, that sucker still puts out some heat! 99, thats impressive.

Comment

If this is a heat pump, mine did something similar in early jan, just ahead of a big cold front. I don’t remeber the part name, but it was a relay that received the signal from the thermostat to run or shut off. Heater ran constant and I caught it at 85, tried switching the thermostat off and it still ran. Then I turned the ac on and essentially had the heater and ac running simultaneously.

Fairly cheap fix, $75 for parts and labor I think

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                    possible bad sequencer
                    That’s what mine was

Comment

If it is strip heat the contacts can stick and cause the problem you are describing.

Comment

i had a Nest thermostat that would stick with the heat on....got up to 85. I took the nest off and put the old thermostat back on and it never did it again. saw some other complaints about the next doing this.

Comment

I ordered a sequencer for $16, so eer will see on wed when it gets here.

Comment

Call Milestone
                            Y’all Fix It In A Flash

Commercial just came on as I read this

Comment

Sorry I posted and ran, had to go to work. if its an electric furnace, probably sequencer. If you get the exact part, easy to change.

Comment

Working...
                              X