Two recent knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two recent knives

Here's a farrier rasp sharpfinger I made recently. I had stopped making rasp knives because I made four in a row that I couldn't sharpen for some reason and didn't know what the problem was. I changed my sharpening technique and got that sorted out, though, so I'm back to it.

Plus, I have a heat treat oven now, so it's easier to anneal the files without them warping.

This one has an ebony handle, a copper pin and tube, and a sheath with a rattlesnake skin inlay.
    Attached Files

This next one started out as a much larger knife, but as I was putting the final grind on it, a big inclusion appeared in the blade that caused a complete separation between the layers. I didn't want it to be a complete waste, so I cut off the damaged part and redesigned what was left into this.

That colorful handle is buckeye burl that Terry Dunn dyed, stabilized, and cast in alumilite. It has a brass pin and a mosaic pin. That mosaic pin was originally going to be in the middle of the handle of the previous knife. I had to work around the holes I had already drilled in order to redesign the handle.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SamHarper; 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Nice. What heat treat oven did you get?

Comment

I got the Evenheat KH 418. It works beautifully.

Comment

They all look great Sam; I like the simplicity of them, tight and very practice. I like tools that don't have a lot of whistles and bells that really don't add to the function of the blade. Also you leather work has come a long, long way, I'm proud of you for taking the time to study it all right.

Comment

Great job Sam. I really like that first one

Comment

Mighty nice. Really dig the top one.

Comment

Looking very nice.

Comment

Thank you. Thank you very much. :-)

Comment

Great work

Comment

Working...