Everything Sushi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything Sushi

So it was not long ago I entered the world of Sushi. Mainly sushi rolls. I avoided them along with most other things at the sushi places just not sure why?

My favorite is Shrimp tempura rolls followed by Crispy roll. I absolutely love wasabi now also and even like the ginger (I think that's thinly sliced ginger)

I find myself trying to get others to try these things but most of the time I get the standard reply "I don't like raw fish"

IMO people are really missing out......

So the point of this thread is I want to be enlightened even more. I've only eaten the standard sushi rolls. I'm to cheap to pay triple the price for all the other things on the menu. I want to know those items are really better than the shrimp tempura roll.

So....What are your favorite sushi menu items and why?

There are so many things on the menu so I know I'm missing some great eats!

BTW - I tried the raw fish on rice a couple times and didn't care for it. Maybe I'm spoiled after eating all the fresh yellow fin tuna the great TBH crew catches each year LOL.

I love sardines in oil does that count?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Sashimi is great. I like the California roll and just about anything you bring to the table.

Comment

Sashimi (over rice) is really good, especially maguro (fatty tuna). Maguro is found at the better sushi restaurants as it is expensive. Temporo is a fair entry level/ starting place. Yes, the more exotic cuts and rolls carry quite different pricing. No different than finer cuts of meat. I run the gambit, we like the finer places due to the options available and the atmosphere but you can catch me in HEB and Kroger as both of our locations have sushi chefs inside. My HEB guys will make whatever I want. Shaggy Dog, soft shell crab and Rainbow Rolls are my geaux to rolls.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Places have different rolls so it's kinda hard to generalize.

I usually rock sashimi at nice restaurants.

The rolls at HEB are good. Austin, San Antonio, Gulf Coast and the crawfish roll. The sauces make the roll imho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Sashimi (over rice) is really good, especially maguro (fatty tuna). Maguro is found at the better sushi restaurants as it is expensive. Temporo is a fair entry level/ starting place. Yes, the more exotic cuts and rolls carry quite different pricing. No different than finer cuts of meat. I run the gambit, we like the finer places due to the options available and the atmosphere but you can catch me in HEB and Kroger as both of our locations have sushi chefs inside. My HEB guys will make whatever I want. Shaggy Dog, soft shell crab and Rainbow Rolls are my geaux to rolls.[emoji6]

Every now and then we will roll like Oscar and hit up a good restaurant. Sushi is truly a get what you pay for deal. The good stuff is amazing.

I like a shaggy dog,firecracker, Louisiana. Also love me some ahi tuna and sashimi

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Spider rolls dipped in wasabi and soy sauce mixed together.

Comment

The ones with the raw fish are my favorite.

I have a bit of a sushi problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  I love sardines in oil does that count?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                  I know it was a joke but this was one reason I started the thread. People just don't know what sushi is. Most think it's raw fish. And they think wasabi is just a hot paste.

I'm no expert (why I started the thread) All I know is I have not found anything I don't like after trying it at a sushi bar. And wasabi is a lot more than a hot paste, it's dang good.

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

Are there any fancy big rolls at the sushi places you like?

Shaggy dog looks good... so does the rainbow roll...
                  I'm going to have to go spend some money now LOL

Comment

River Rat have you been to Takara or Soto?

Comment

Uchi and Kuu in Houston are my favorites, expensive but amazing sushi.

Sushi Nini is Roundrock is my favorite non-high end sushi place

Comment

Hamachi, Tai, Maguro sashimi were my go to in Japan...they were the cheapest. I found out there is a proper etiquette form for eating sashimi when at a business meal...late night watching Japanese AFN...thumb on one long side, middle finger on other long side, index on short side...dip bottom long side in sauce...tilt head to certain degree angle...whole thing goes down the hatch.

We tried horse sashimi at a sushi go round...it wasnt bad. I wish sushi go rounds were here in the states. For those who dont know...Sushi go rounds are like McDonalds of sushi. Basic format of food preparers in a corral/bar in the center of a small building, conveyor belt around the preparers bar, seats all around the bar...the preparers prepare sushi or sashimi or special orders and place on various colored plates onto the conveyor. First come first serve. The colored plates denote the pricing for the prepared food. Keep your plates stacked and pay based on how many of each color plate.

I wasnt a taker at first but fish in Japan doesnt taste fishy. I have yet to eat sushi/sashimi in Los Estados Unidos in a restaurant that wasnt powerfully fishy.

Comment

Spicy tuna, spicy salmon or spicy Alaskan are all on my base go to list. Can't go wrong with any. If it's a new to me place I will generally pick one of those plus one of their signature rolls. Never been to any that I would call fancy stateside but I have had some definite oddities (to a native Texan) on the eastern hemisphere

Comment

Everyone pretty much has it covered.
                            You don't have to go to a 5 star steakhouse to get a good steak, same applies to sushi. But the nicer the place will have way more options I have found.

A fun night can be had by going to a place that has party group platters with tons of stuff on it. Go with a group of friends and see who has the guts to try some of the things on it.

Comment

Word. I tend to gravitate towards anything with Spicy mayo on it. I usually try and branch out out and try one piece of sashimi in my spread I haven’t had before. Tried cuttle fish last time. Would not suggest..

Comment

Working...
                              X