Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any youtube videos or other websites on land management for WT based off eastern tx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
    Gonna be some good info with this thread.

I noticed you questioned hinge cutting. It is good the first couple of years then, the cut stuff starts shadowing out the ground vegetation which is where 95 percent of the deer food is at.

Thinning timber is the one single thing you can do to improve your property for deer. Getting sunlight to the ground is paramount.
    ^^^ This. Anything to clear out the canopy and get good ground bed growth. In the words of Mark Drury, “Deer live 5ft and below.” Yes it’s obvious statement when you hear it, but it’s true. Yes acorns and other trees benefit deer, but a lot of times they only need things from 5ft down, meaning good ground growth.
    Last edited by TheHammer; 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

In my area food is in no short demand. The ground is extremely fertile and there is a good mix of heavy timber and open pasture with a wide variety of browse. I had some forrestry mulching done to thin some areas on my original land, my back 76 already had some open areas maybe 30-40% which is overgrown pasture land and the remaining 60-70% heavy rolling timber with creek beds.
      My main down fall is that the area is broken into alot of smaller ranchetts ranging mostly 20-80 acre range. I do have one pretty good size ranch neighbor that is about 300-400acres of just ranch land.
      There is alot of homes in the area so deer are use to human traffic.

I enjoy watching deer habitat videos but I just don't know how applicable the techniques used in the midwest will be in my area. We also have good supplies of water so don't think that is an issue either.

Comment

The main things I pull out from these videos is food, water, cover, security. I think if you have to figure out which of those 4 you are lacking in and find ways to improve it. And, it may be slight changes that make your property the ideal property for the deer.

Things I think about are maybe a food source that the deer can't get anywhere around you...maybe soybeans in the late winter or soybeans period. Or possibly small water sources that are strategically placed. Or maybe it's entrance and exit routes to stands.

Those deer need a place where they can't see you, smell you, or hear you.

I'm just thinking out loud here. And, I'm in the same boat as you with my place. Just trying to figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Gonna be some good info with this thread.

I noticed you questioned hinge cutting. It is good the first couple of years then, the cut stuff starts shadowing out the ground vegetation which is where 95 percent of the deer food is at.

Thinning timber is the one single thing you can do to improve your property for deer. Getting sunlight to the ground is paramount.
          Thinning really does a place good for hunting.

We thin periodically at our camp. 40-80 acres at a time and just get the marketable stuff >18”. Makes you a few bucks and really puts a lot of food on the ground for deer and turkeys.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            In my area food is in no short demand. The ground is extremely fertile and there is a good mix of heavy timber and open pasture with a wide variety of browse. I had some forrestry mulching done to thin some areas on my original land, my back 76 already had some open areas maybe 30-40% which is overgrown pasture land and the remaining 60-70% heavy rolling timber with creek beds.
            My main down fall is that the area is broken into alot of smaller ranchetts ranging mostly 20-80 acre range. I do have one pretty good size ranch neighbor that is about 300-400acres of just ranch land.
            There is alot of homes in the area so deer are use to human traffic.

I enjoy watching deer habitat videos but I just don't know how applicable the techniques used in the midwest will be in my area. We also have good supplies of water so don't think that is an issue either.
            I know it’s a completely different area/state Jack, but you’d be surprised in the Midwest on how small the tracts are. Most “farms” are 40-250 acre tracts. Like I said, may not even be in the same ballpark. And the whole region up there is a giant food plot. Everywhere I have ever hunted up there, was just a small section of land really only big enough for one person to hunt.

Comment

I’m just curious if the deer there react the same as ours. I think terrain wise it’s pretty close to my area. I have started experimenting with some of the mock scrapes they have suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                I'm trying to find other alternatives to making my place more attractive besides feed. My deer won't hardly eat any other supplemental feed other than corn, been trying about a full yr now. Different proteins, protein blocks, powder attractants, rice bran etc. Food plots are pretty good but we have so much of a variety of great natural browse it seams they can take it or leave it when the conditions are good. I am feeding my small local herd but we don't seem to be attracting new talent much. I'm hoping this yr with a slightly bigger footprint we will see more once the bucks start roaming. I just want them to stay once they find me.
                Get away from supplemental feeding and turn to food plots. The reason they wont eat supplemental feed is they are getting plenty of feed from the natural browse.

They will eat Soybeans a lot better than supplemental feed.

Comment

I do a lot of foodplots spring and fall, and they def hit them as well

Comment

Working...
                  X