No announcement yet.

Caliber for a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 6.5 to and the great thing about them is that the factory bullets shoot awesome compared to factory bullets in my 08.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
      7mm-08 or 243. You can get reduced loads for both, too, and graduate to full power if need be.
      I agree 100%

Comment

6.5 gets it done. Minimal recoil.

Comment

6.5 cm with a muzzle brake to help knock the kick down, just make sure you have ear plugs for both of y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Amen on the earplugs

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 Grendel, 22-250, .243 would all be at the top of my list.

Comment

6.5 creedmore with a rifle and scope that fits him and has s good recoil pad.
                I cut down the stocks on my kids and wife’s rifles.

Then do him a lifelong favor and get a suppressor. My t/c compass came threaded !

Comment

If it was me I would go 243. Not much recoil, and enough umpf to kill most anything in TX. And he can continue to hunt with it his whole life. Heck I left my 300 win mag and 280 at home this morning and brought my 243. Fun gun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO most of these guys are right and there are several different calibers that would fit the mold, but for just getting started if it were me, I’d try to get a common round so there is no hassle in finding ammo and being able to practice, and I may be slightly biased, but I’ve never had an animal go farther that 50 yards with my 243.
                    Granted regardless of the caliber, it all has to do with shot placement.

Comment

My son started out with a .223 but I made him reck shoot everything. I want to say he was 6 at that time. At about 8 he started shooting my 7mm-08 and he loves it. Hell he’s killed more stuff with it than I have.

Comment

Myself (50 years ago) and my kids all started with an open sight 30/30 Winchester.

Comment

Go bigger caliber with reduced recoil ammo. Gives him room to grow.

Comment

On the 243 reduced recoil load is it a lower grain also? Is that what makes it reduced recoil?

Comment

Originally posted by clintb View Post
                              .223, 22.250 or .243 is what I used for my boys when that young.
                              I don't have kids but this would be my choice as well since I already have these

Comment

My daughter shoots my .270 with Hornady Lite ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X