Google Mesh Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Mesh Review

You guys have help me out alot. Maybe I can help out someone with this.

I was having alot of problems with wifi at my house. Basically no signal at my desk in my bedroom to netflix buffering. I tried switching router/modems out a few times from Grande. They would work for a little while, then their wifi signal would seem to eventually get weaker and weaker. It was very very very annoying. One of the final straws was when my 2 kids couldn't play their Fortnite on Sunday. They are only allowed to play on Sundays. The disappointment on their faces was it.

I was going to buy a traditional router but instead decided to go with the Google Mesh instead after seeing reviews on Amazon. I bought the 3 pack at HEB for $266. I could have gotten it for a little cheaper on Amazon but I had a couple of HEB gift cards that I had been hanging on to.

I ran a speed test with the original wifi and the new google mesh at different locations and here are the results:
    (My original fastest speed was 28.09 Mbps, now with the new Google Mesh my slowest speed is 118.47 Mbps)

DESK
    0 Mbps Download (Original)(wouldnt even run the test)
    118.47 Mbps Download (Google Mesh)

KITCHEN
    31.92 Mbps Download (Original)
    141.52 Mbps Download (Google Mesh)

OTTOMAN
    25.51 Mbps Download (Original)
    191.35 Mbps Download (Google Mesh)

KIDS ROOM
    28.09 Mbps Download (Original)
    296.55 Mbps Download (Google Mesh)

MASTER ROOM
    7.27 Mbps Download (Original)
    73.19 Mbps Download (Google Mesh)

RANGE
    Originally I could only take a few steps out of my front door before Pandora on my phone would turn off. With the Google Mesh I can walk down a few houses and it would still be playing. It turned off around 300 feet from my front door. (Excited about this because now I wont have to remember to turn off wifi on my phone for my headphones when I am mowing, I forget every time)

OVERALL it is way faster. It seems great and I am happy with it although I didnt get to test it to much after setting it up. My desk where a webpage would not load, will now load webpages very quickly. Netflix loads movies super fast too.

Setup was super easy.

Although they did not play, the PS4 Fortnite test was successful and my kids will be smiling Sunday when they play.

Are the nodes all wired back to the router? How are they powered?

Comment

Originally posted by treestand View Post
      Are the nodes all wired back to the router? How are they powered?
      The nodes (look like white hockey pucks) are powered by 110v. Primary node is plugged into router. The other nodes can either pick up WiFi signal without loss (one of the issues with WiFi extenders is you lose 1/2 the bandwidth) - you do not lose 1/2 the bandwidth with the Google Mesh. Another option, if you have the structured wiring to support it - is to connect all the pucks via Ethernet to the router. That is how 2 of my 3 are done.
      I have had same issues as OP with WiFi routers in the past.

Very pleased with the Google Mesh - 8 months, no issues. KJ

Comment

I'm a big fan as well. The Google Wifi app is so user friendly as well that it makes it easy for a novice like me to see what is going on with the home network. We have whole house Alexa and Sonos and have 35+ devices connected to wifi at all times. The coverage in the house is excellent with Google and the pucks make it easy for my exterior Blink cameras to get consistent signal. Oh and our internet is blazing fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	google.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	24580832

Comment

What is your basic internet service? cable or satellite or cell?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            What is your basic internet service? cable or satellite or cell?
            I get cable internet. I dont remember off top of my head but I think it is the 300Mbps plan.

Comment

I’ve never heard of this but might need to look into it. We have cable internet and we bought just a cheap modem/router. We constantly have to reset the modem to get the WiFi back.

Do you know if this is just the router or does it replace the modem as well?

Comment

I have the google mesh system at my house. It is awesome. I recommend it to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                  I’ve never heard of this but might need to look into it. We have cable internet and we bought just a cheap modem/router. We constantly have to reset the modem to get the WiFi back.

Do you know if this is just the router or does it replace the modem as well?
                  It works with your existing router.

Comment

I love it.

Currently paying for 75/75 but with Mesh I am getting 100/110 average.
                    Best decision I have ever made for internet

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      We have whole house Alexa and Sonos and have 35+ devices connected to wifi at all times.
                      Good lord that is a lot of devices! What you got going on there?! Between my wife and I, we have 6, two of which are rarely on the wifi. And I feel like that is too many.

Comment

I’m exploring mesh options myself. Based on what I’ve read the Netgear Orbi is the fastest, followed by EERO and Google is the slowest.

The Orbi also covers the most area with less devices.

Still not sure which route I’m going to go yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                          I love it.

Currently paying for 75/75 but with Mesh I am getting 100/110 average.
                          Best decision I have ever made for internet
                          If your company is only giving you 75/75, then Google is lying to you.
                          It can't magically create more bandwidth, than your company is allowing you to have.
                          Possibly I'm not understanding your post

Comment

This is interesting. Thanks for the write up. I've been looking into setting up a mesh system for awhile but always heard bad reviews about the Google system. Sounds like you guys have had success though. Does the Google system also act as a "smart hub" to control lights, plugs, locks, etc., (via Zwave or Zigbee) like the Samsung SmartThings system can?

I was considering the Samsung SmartThings mesh because of the home automation aspect. I really want to be able to control locks & lights from an app and set a "scene" or "setting" where all of my exterior doors lock at a certain time of night, certain lights / lamps come on in the morning, etc.

Comment

I have been using the Eeros for the last couple of years and they are great and easy to set up. I do have an issue sometimes with the xbox. Seems like it does not like the direct plug in on the Eero, but works well with the wireless.

Comment

Working...
                              X