Ranger help front diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger help front diff

A buddy of mine gave me his 2008 ranger 700 xp. When I got it the front end was in pretty bad shape. I got into the front differential and it was all torn up. I ordered a new roller cage and the thrust plate(#4 on the diagram). One of my questions is what exactly does the trust plate do?? I rebuilt the whole diff(new bearings, seals,o-rings). When I installed the new trust plate the diff was tight going together and was pretty hard to turn the input shaft. I put the ranger back together and is drives good now, but still not going into four wheel drive. I also checked the magnetic coil and it was energizing. Turning to the green screen for some help.
    Attached Files

Ranger help front diff

I have no clue about the thrust plate???

I don’t know how you are determining that it won’t go into four wheel drive??? On my ‘08 700XP, even with the switch in four wheel drive, it won’t engage unless it senses slippage. In other words, it does not go into 4 wheel drive until it needs to.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      I have no clue about the thrust plate???

I don’t know how you are determining that it won’t go into four wheel drive??? On my ‘08 700XP, even with the switch in four wheel drive, it won’t engage unless it senses slippage. In other words, it does not go into 4 wheel drive until it needs to.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Yes sir, the first thing I noticed was you cant hear it click in but I'm not even sure if you ever hear it like when you lock the rear diff. While I was on a test drive I drove through a bunch of mud and I could tell that the front tires where not turning as fast as the back where.

Comment

I would suggest testing it in a controlled environment. The way I'd test it sounds little crazy but it involves smooth concrete floor some dawn dish soap and water. You also need to have the front end push up against something very sturdy so you don't break anything.

Comment

Sounds like when u put it together one of the diff shims may have come out of its seat... they are usually easy to spin as u likely noticed when you disassembled the diff.
          Did u replace the bearing with oem parts? Some of the aft mkt parts dont have as tight tolerances and even oem should be measured with micrometer/feeler to be sure you install the correct shims... the manuals will tell you what clearance u need
          I have had one be tight before but it was the ujoint yoke not the diff..that is normal

Comment

Originally posted by bartosh317 View Post
            Yes sir, the first thing I noticed was you cant hear it click in but I'm not even sure if you ever hear it like when you lock the rear diff. While I was on a test drive I drove through a bunch of mud and I could tell that the front tires where not turning as fast as the back where.
            You wont hear a click if there are no RPM's, I believe there is some type of speed sensor. You will only hear a click when the differential locks engages while in park.

We just did this on a Ranger. We actually used a telephone pole on soft ground to verify that the front wheels were engaged by pushing on the telephone pole and checking the front tires to see if they spun.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              Sounds like when u put it together one of the diff shims may have come out of its seat... they are usually easy to spin as u likely noticed when you disassembled the diff.
              Did u replace the bearing with oem parts? Some of the aft mkt parts dont have as tight tolerances and even oem should be measured with micrometer/feeler to be sure you install the correct shims... the manuals will tell you what clearance u need
              I have had one be tight before but it was the ujoint yoke not the diff..that is normal
              I work in a motor rebuild /machine shop. I didn't use OEM parts because I had all the bearings in stock. I used one of our premium brand names figuring it would be better then the OEM. I didn't mic the housings but I checked the bearing in the housing. I didn't notice and looseness

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post
                You wont hear a click if there are no RPM's, I believe there is some type of speed sensor. You will only hear a click when the differential locks engages while in park.

We just did this on a Ranger. We actually used a telephone pole on soft ground to verify that the front wheels were engaged by pushing on the telephone pole and checking the front tires to see if they spun.
                That's a good idea and I have one laying out in the pasture. I'll give it a shot when I get home!!

Comment

Sorry no help, but go on PRC forum & post / search there, I'm sure there is someone who can help you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Horns1 View Post
                    Sorry no help, but go on PRC forum & post / search there, I'm sure there is someone who can help you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Thank you sir, I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X