Broad Head Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broad Head Clearance

I have an issue where due to arrow length my Broad head is over the riser shelf at full draw. The broad head that I'm shooting is a 125 grain 1.5" Ramcat and will just barely clear the shelf.

I had an issue where one of my Broad heads wasn't clocked just right and contacted the shelf while coming to full draw. This resulted in the arrow being pulled off the string with a little noise and a large hog running off.

My question is, what would be the affect or downside of raising my rest say 1/16"? I realize it will require a vertical sight adjustment but is there any other performance concerns?

paging Mudslinger...............

Comment

It will probably shoot higher. I wouldn't say much. Watch those fingers.

Comment

I would raise the rest, change the nocking point and re broadhead tune your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Csmith52779 View Post
          I would raise the rest, change the nocking point and re broadhead tune your bow.
          x2

Comment

Originally posted by Csmith52779 View Post
            Yup, you will be a bit high and can be fixed by adjusting your knocking point and then just broadhead tune away!

Comment

Also going to have to re set your peep and kisser if you have one.

Comment

Maybe a lot easier to go to 100 grain.

Comment

Get longer arrows...
                  Best not to re-tune your whole rig during season, and that's what it would be, a full blown re-tune. Moving the rest up will move the nock point up, which moves the center shot, which moves the peep, affects the cam timing/synch, affects the tiller timing etc, etc, etc...

Just get longer arrows, they will be safer as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    Get longer arrows...
                    Best not to re-tune your whole rig during season, and that's what it would be, a full blown re-tune. Moving the rest up will move the nock point up, which moves the center shot, which moves the peep, affects the cam timing/synch, affects the tiller timing etc, etc, etc...

x2 use the short ones for practice.

note: check arrow flight with longer arrows, mite have to retune

Comment

Get longer arrows...

I know this is the correct answer but having a good number of cut arrows makes me want to not go that route.

I have one doe to kill and some hog hunting left to do. All can be done with the rifle, I'd just prefer to shoot the bow.

Comment

It wouldn't take very long to re tune and re set your bow if you have the knowledge to do it yourself.

Comment

Get longer arrows...

lengthening your arrow changes tune.

question is, is the rest at the right height now.

Comment

Get longer arrows...

so get longer arrows and change static spine? then put on broadheads and change dynamic spine even further?

sorry bud, don't agree with that logic. what good does having a good center shot do if your arrow does not fly properly causing you to lose penetration on impact.

OP, don't band-aid your problem. fix your problem and fix it right. cut your arrows where they need to be and get your bow set up PROPERLY.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
                              lengthening your arrow changes tune.

question is, is the rest at the right height now.
                              this guy has the right approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X