Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #51
rhendrix
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land
Default How do you move away from "home"?

I joined the Marines, one of the best decisions Iíve ever made. Taught me how to be comfortable in new environments and how to make new friends, havenít lived back ďhomeĒ (in my hometown) but 1 out of the 16 last years, and that was for financial reasons.

If youíre not living somewhere where you enjoy living, then go find that place, but if you canít, then at least move close to it so you can visit often.

Last edited by rhendrix; 01-02-2018 at 08:45 AM.
rhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #52
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsticker View Post
Hurricanes and retired people.....NO WAY!
There is nothing but old people and their parents in Florida!
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #53
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

I moved back home after being away, and I can honestly say that the only thing keeping me from leaving again is family. I have no love for this area of Texas, but if I end up here forever and get to spend weekends with the family whenever we want, it won’t be so bad.

That being said, if I could have my cake and eat it too, I’d get a job somewhere in the hill country around San Marcos and move there as soon as I could sell my house here. That area is very pretty country and only a couple hours from the family. If you can get a solid job that covers the new COL, go for it. The only thing that will stop you at that point is emotion, not logic.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #54
SL1
Six Point

I left Wisconsin at 20 and moved to Austin. Ten years later changed jobs and ended up in Denver, A few years later Phoenix, then Dallas. Ended up in Boerne when I took retirement. Still looking for the perfect place. Its all about attitude, there is a whole world out there to enjoy. Leaving the family is tough, but they understand eventually. I have friends that have never even left the little town I grew up in to this day, 54 years later! I m glad I left, I did a lot of traveling and lived several different places and was blessed to see and do a everything I have done. My advice is go look around, the world is full of opportunity and oysters!
SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #55
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

You just have to pull the trigger and make it happen. Ensuring the family is on board is very important. I was in NV, AZ, CA and Austin before ending up here. I will probably leave again in a few years.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #56
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

As a kid growing up, we moved regularly.
Born in Houma Louisiana, mom and dad moved us to Prescott Arizona for 2 years then back to Houma to take care of grandma. In 2000 we moved to Waco and in 2006 moved again to Louisiana but in New Iberia instead. After 4 years working, i got a promotion to move to Houston where i met my wife. Houston is a little too crowded for me and after 6 years of commuting 1 1/2 hrs one way every day to the woodlands, we too are thinking of getting out. But i am having a difficult time convincing the wife to leave. She spent her whole life here. If i could find good work up north, i would go.
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:10 AM   #57
MountainMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Colorado and Texas (when invited ;))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Don't get me wrong as I love Colorado, but they may have Texas beat on growth and even worse, It's Californians.
Truer words were never spoken. It's crazy to me out out of control this place has gotten in the last few years. I was born and raised here in the Springs and it doesn't feel like the Springs anymore.

The wife and I have talked about moving 100 times a year for the last 10 years. We finally found a great place in the country way out of town and in the last 5 years, town has crept back up on us. No place will ever be perfect, but I believe you have to make the most of life while you can. If you hate it, move back.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:14 AM   #58
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I sold a bunch of my stuff, boxed up the rest and moved. It’s not that hard for me.

My wife on the other hand was born and raised in Dallas and getting her to move to Fort Worth was a trial. I’ve passed up some good jobs overseas because she’s too attached to her bubble here
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #59
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Guess I'm lucky as I have only left my home town to go to school.

El Campo ain't much but it's close to big city stores and has all that I need.

Main thing it's close to the bays and I fish a lot so that's important and my Mother and my wife's folks still live here.

My wife wants to retire to our place in Utopia but while I love it there and the clear waters of the Sabinal River, it's too far from saltwater for me.

But then I'm getting older so I might not care lol.

I love the Keys and understand the draw for you. So if you have a job there and can go, just do it.

Good luck with it!
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #60
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

I have been getting the itch too. Grew up in this area ( about 20 mi from here ) and was fine with it until all the people started moving in. Im still out in the woods a ways but its creeping closer every day. As I age i am getting less and less tolerant of people and traffic. Tomball now is just Houston extended...Magnolia is worse than Tomball was when I was growing up. Montgomery is no better. And its all headed this way. On the other hand, I have built everything on this 10ac myself, excepting the shop slab, well and septic. When you have put this much into its hard to think about letting it go....
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #61
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

I moved from Wisconsin to Texas in about 13 years ago. It was a big change for me, but we moved close to my wife's family. I believe that helped the transition to some extent since she had roots here. I was unhappy where I was, but it was still a very difficult decision. I can honestly say I am not the same person I used to be, I don't do the same things I used to. Bow hunting is a big part of that (started that after I moved.) I am very happy here. I am fortunate in that I do the same job but just from here now. We still visit often and have a place there. Sounds like you just need to do it. As mentioned you can always move back.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #62
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post

Main thing it's close to the bays and I fish a lot so that's important and my Mother and my wife's folks still live here.

My wife wants to retire to our place in Utopia but while I love it there and the clear waters of the Sabinal River, it's too far from saltwater for me.

I love the Keys and understand the draw for you. So if you have a job there and can go, just do it.

Good luck with it!

Grew up in El Campo. When I went away for college I hoped i'd never end up back there. Now I'd move back in a heart beat if I could find employment.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #63
G5-Maniac
Eight Point

I dream about it almost everyday. But I have an amazing job that I actually like going to and pays great and Iím an only child and my parents live a couple minutes away and I have their only grandchild. Hoping in a couple years to buy my dream place and eventually retire there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G5-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #64
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post

Good luck with it!
Man I wish I liked to fish, because EC ainít bad if you like to do that kinda stuff. But this place is torture for someone who likes rocky soil, hills, oaks, and axis!
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #65
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I moved away from home in 2008. Moved to the BCS area(wife is an Animal Science prof), and really enjoyed it. Then she got a better opportunity at NMSU, which brought us to Las Cruces. I had zero desire to move here, but it was a great career move for her, so here we are. I learned to enjoy what NM has to offer, but now most of our friends have all moved away from here, we have a baby, and no family within 8.5 hrs... it's time to move back east. Everytime I go back home, which has only been a whopping 4 or 5 times since 2009, I don't want to leave. I don't need to be in my hometown, or even my home state, but after living across the country, being within 3-4hrs of family sure would be nice(even if it's just my wife's family in Texas).

My $0.02, think ahead, and think hard. Like I said, the only reason we moved here was for my wife's career, but we're both ready to get out of Dodge. And moving sucks.

Last edited by quackadikt; 01-02-2018 at 12:29 PM.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #66
froghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
I moved away from home in 2008. Moved to the BCS area(wife is an Animal Science prof), and really enjoyed it. Then she got a better opportunity at NMSU, which brought us to Las Cruces. I had zero desire to move here, but it was a great career move for her, so here we are. I learned to enjoy what NM has to offer, but now most of our friends have all moved away from here, we have a baby, and no family within 8.5 hrs... it's time to move back east. Everytime I go back home, which has only been a whopping 4 or 5 times since 2009, I don't want to leave. I don't need to be in my hometown, or even my home state, but after living across the country, being within 3-4hrs of family sure would be nice(even if it's just my wife's family in Texas).

My $0.02, think ahead, and think hard. Like I said, the only reason we moved here was for my wife's career, but we're both ready to get out of Dodge. And moving sucks.

We have very little family left. We pretty much live to ourselves so there wouldn't be a huge change there.
froghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #67
cva34
Eight Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
I joined the military.
I did same it got me out of cotton patch..Joined the Navy saw the world (west side ) VN too..But is was a great experience..And I would do it again
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #68
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Grew up in Lubbock, lived in Georgia and now Granbury...best move I ever made! Trees, water, hills, NO dust storms in the spring and LOT'S of critters to enjoy. I just drove home from home depot on the "loop," pulled over the side of the road and counted 17 deer grazing. Oh, the same big 10 point was there as always and less than 5 minutes from our home. Wife and I love it and the kids love to visit.

Key...Momma has to be on line or it's not going to work...enjoy and take the plunge, you only live once!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #69
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
Grew up in Lubbock, lived in Georgia and now Granbury...best move I ever made! Trees, water, hills, NO dust storms in the spring and LOT'S of critters to enjoy. I just drove home from home depot on the "loop," pulled over the side of the road and counted 17 deer grazing. Oh, the same big 10 point was there as always and less than 5 minutes from our home. Wife and I love it and the kids love to visit.

Key...Momma has to be on line or it's not going to work...enjoy and take the plunge, you only live once!!
Yup, that's where I want to go back to. A few hrs from salt water, and somewhere with trees, grass, and no more God-blessed dust. I hate spring time here.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #70
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

I joined the Marines at 18
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #71
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Wow, Derek! That's a huge move for you! I thought you were considering the Texas coast, but FL?

Hmm. Those people are weird over there. Most are wanna be southerners but just ain't got it. What I love about Texas - we're Texans! It's the culture, the hospitality, that can't be matched anywhere. Georgia comes close, but definitely not Florida.

But, if you are wanting to do this - first, make sure you get a job that gives you a raise on top of the additional cost of living index and it is in the area you want to live. My sister lived in Ocala for a long time and loved it.

The Keys though, that's a tough one. Lots of Cuban immigrants - good or bad. Look into the political climate - is a liberal area or conservative? Will the culture of the community tolerate your attitudes?

Look at the crime rates and in particular crimes against women. Check out the schools and crime rates and success rates there.

If you feel good, then have a yard sale and move!
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #72
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackadikt View Post
Yup, that's where I want to go back to. A few hrs from salt water, and somewhere with trees, grass, and no more God-blessed dust. I hate spring time here.
Yep, lot's of Old time Granbury folks not happy with the growth, but we are far enough from DFW it will be slower than the Frisco, Plano, etc. areas.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #73
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Born and raised in Seguin and I left the month after graduation from high school. Gone as far as Oman across the pond and after being gone for 20+ years I came back and now live in San Marcos.

God bless and happy hunting.
Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #74
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default How do you move away from "home"?

I have never lived out of a metro area my whole life! Last April, I decided to heck with it, sold my house, and moved to 122ac place just out of Sonora. I only knew two people in the area. I still donít know a lot of folks yet, but we are in the middle of the remodel project from he77!

I could not be happier, and my only regret is that I did not do this 20yrs ago!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #75
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I've been to key west a couple times...Only got thrown out once(in college )

Lots of good fishing...pretty water. But no hill country or exotics.

It is a nice place to visit... you gotta be of "salt life" to enjoy it full time...my opinion only.

Best of luck in your travels.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #76
jimmy o
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I have up rooted my family twice now. The one key thing with me is that I had a job before I moved. On another note she said she ain't moving anymore lol.
jimmy o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #77
Olphart
Ten Point

Hunt In: Only my backyard!

Derek, I completely understand where you are coming from. I joined the military out of HS and went to San Diego, Vietnam, then Florida. We were more than ready to come back home after seeing the flakes in Cali, the cong in Nam, and the hippies in Fla. B/CS is our hometown(s), but they have changed so drastically over the years...and not for the good. All the **** apartments, crowded streets with 16-22 year old clowns that can't drive or have no fear of killing themselves or others, and I can go on. I've thought about moving farther out (out of Brazos County) but at our age, I'm not sure we would survive it. Plus, we need to be near healthcare.

Don't wait too long as it is only getting worse in this area.
Olphart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 PM   #78
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by froghunter View Post
I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?

I grew up in Beaumont Texas and moved to Phoenix Arizona at 20 years old with no job.

The reason I moved was I met a really hot 22 year old bi-sexual chick while she was doing an internship at Lamar and we dated 11 months before she moved to Phoenix and I followed like a whipped puppy. I thought I would stay in the valley because I loved it and it was now Home! Then I met another chick and I moved to Charlotte NC.

I now live in Baton Rouge and can you guess why I moved here?

You know that saying that ďsomethingĒ will make you drive a long way? Iím the poster child for that

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #79
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkinlead View Post
I moved away from home when I left high school and have been trying to find a way to get back there ever since.
Living in a small town myself, I see this all the time!!! Whether soon or at the end of their working life. Back to the small town life

The grass is not always greener on the other side.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #80
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Moved away from home (Temple) in 1971 to go to college, got married in 73 and moved to Lubbock in 1975. Been here ever since unfortunately, but will be here a while longer. 5 1/2 hours from the parents and they really do not like it, but we do.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #81
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by popup_menace View Post
Man I wish I liked to fish, because EC ainít bad if you like to do that kinda stuff. But this place is torture for someone who likes rocky soil, hills, oaks, and axis!
Learn to fish and like it lol. We'll take you.

Probably should have a beer at Greek's and talk about it
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #82
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

There's no way I'd move out of Texas. There isn't a high enough paying job.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #83
Ruark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere close by

Quote:
Florida keys.
Are you talking about Key West?

Not a bad place, if you like fishing and walking around in flip-flops 12 months a year. Some people down there don't even OWN a coat. Tradeoffs, though:

- Lots of liberals. The whole LGBT thing, big time. Check this out: https://www.gaytravel.com/gay-guides/key-west/
- Not much in the way of beaches. Although it's an ocean community, it really has no beaches to speak of, which surprises many people.
- Understandably, real estate is uber expensive. Look for a little 2 bedroom fixer-upper for 300K-400K and up.

But I hear you. I love Texas with all my heart, but when I go up into some of the magnificent Rocky Mountain country, or the vast deserts of the west, I sometimes start thinking..........
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #84
Hughiam
Ten Point

One of the things I am noticing about the younger folks is the lack of "sense of adventure". I find that now when I try to hire people from the lower 48 to come up here(Alaska). We offer moving expenses, full benefits, retirement and extremely good wages. My lifeguards start at almost $19/hr for example. Many times I have people answer job ads, interview, accept an offer then back out when the reality of moving hits them.

I understand moving to the 49th state may seem intimidating, but you're just talking about moving across the state or states, I don't get it. You're young, take a chance man!

I moved from Michigan to Texas in 2008. I was a Parks and Recreation Director for 20 years in Michigan and ran a part time taxidermy business. I wanted a change so I went to work for a taxidermist in SA(Anyone remember that thief/liar Randy Cadwallader from Broadway Lockers?). That fell apart and I went to work for Mesquite Creek in Pearsall, then on to the 777 Ranch. In 2012, I left Texas to Idaho to buy out a taxidermy business. He backed out of the deal and left me high and dry so to speak. So in fall of 2012 I moved to Alaska and now only do taxidermy part time, but work in the Recreation Field full time again.

I did all this in my late 40's and early 50's. I have kids 4 and 10 and step kids 21 and 27. It was hard on the older kids but the young ones didn't know any better. My wife found good friends and except for the dark days of winter( light at 10am, dark at 4pm) shes fine.

You will only know if you try. Sometimes you succeed and sometimes you fail but you need to try. Too many people are afraid to try something new and miss out on what life has to offer.

I wish I had made this jump long ago.

Hugh
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #85
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Quote:
I love to travel and do a lot of it. However I've lived in the same area my whole life. I'm well connected here and established. After seeing different parts of the state and country I've realized I live in a very "blaaaaaa" part of Texas. No salt water, no hills/mountains, no clear water, no exotics, no views that make you stop and thank God he has allowed you to experience this spot, no turkey, 1 deer that made the 13" rule since it was instated......how does one just up and move away?

Pack yo ****, load the truck, put the hammer down. If I could break my **** wife away from the cesspool we live in I would have done it years ago.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #86
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

If you gave me the state of Florida, I wouldn't leave Texas...even college station.

Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #87
BowPro73
Eight Point

Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his stuff into a truck.
-Mitch Hedberg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
BowPro73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top