Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #201
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Boerne and anywhere else I can find

When is a good time to start blood trailing? Just got my gsp. She is 7 weeks this week
MySRT8U is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #202
TUCO
Pope & Young

Location: Rockwall Co. TX Photography:CANON 50D Videography:SONY Pd 170
Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySRT8U View Post

When is a good time to start blood trailing?

Just got my gsp.

She is 7 weeks this week
That is one cute looking dog Jason!

I started working with my pup as soon as I got him at 8 weeks.

Do you have a deer hide in the freezer, or know someone that does?
TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #203
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post
That is one cute looking dog Jason!

I started working with my pup as soon as I got him at 8 weeks.

Do you have a deer hide in the freezer, or know someone that does?

Thanks bud. I have a couple of axis hides
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #204
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

I agree with you on most of it. She is worn out as much as I can wear her out in the morning. Do these things actually get worn out? the evening she is worn out and usually in the kennel with door open or at my feet piled up on my blanket. Popping her on the beak seems to work well for me. Not hurting her but it gets her attention an she don't like it. She stops the biting/chewing. I am not sure on shock collar either. I think she just needs time. But man when she starts howling at 2 am I sure wish I got give her a static charge of shut the heck up.

One thing I did with my pups that worked 15 years ago was peanut butter. Not to stop barking but to start basic behavior training. Started her with it last night and it worked well. Take a bit of peanut butter on your finger and let her smell it. She will try and get it instantly so I put my finger over her head an behind her. Her reaction is to sit an right before she does I say sit and then reward her with licking the peanut butter off my finger. When she bites she gets the finger taken away. She started realizing quick if she is calm an being gentle she gets te treats. She bites down and it's gone. Plus it takes her a long time to lick it off and the whole time I am telling we how good she is and petting her. See how her memory works tonight. Pretty sure I will have more scars before the night is over.

By all means there is a lot of sarcasm in my post. She ain't that bad. And it is fun. She has adapted to our little family better than I expected. But with that said my wife sent me a text letting me know she is sure Jenna was smoking crack today before she got home.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #205
jared_bays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANSLEY817 View Post
This is some goof stuff. Just be cautious as it is not uncommon for it to give dogs diarrhea and nasty gas. I had to take my pup off of it.
I feel ya on the gas deal. Holy cow, I had no idea something that smelled so terrible could come out of such a small dog.
jared_bays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #206
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Sent mine to mans best friend. He will be there two weeks for obedience and leash training. I hope to get him back on blood tracking ASAP. Before I sent him to MBF I had my "pet deer"(he's free range, but thinks he's part of the family) walk through tall grass while I dropped small amounts of blood on the trail he was walking. I used very little blood because I wanted my dog to pick up on the deer smell. He did very well. When the blood ran out he still followed the path the deer had walked 30 minutes earlier. Had some venison at the end of the trail for him.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #207
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post

I agree with you on most of it. She is worn out as much as I can wear her out in the morning. Do these things actually get worn out? the evening she is worn out and usually in the kennel with door open or at my feet piled up on my blanket. Popping her on the beak seems to work well for me. Not hurting her but it gets her attention an she don't like it. She stops the biting/chewing. I am not sure on shock collar either. I think she just needs time. But man when she starts howling at 2 am I sure wish I got give her a static charge of shut the heck up.

One thing I did with my pups that worked 15 years ago was peanut butter. Not to stop barking but to start basic behavior training. Started her with it last night and it worked well. Take a bit of peanut butter on your finger and let her smell it. She will try and get it instantly so I put my finger over her head an behind her. Her reaction is to sit an right before she does I say sit and then reward her with licking the peanut butter off my finger. When she bites she gets the finger taken away. She started realizing quick if she is calm an being gentle she gets te treats. She bites down and it's gone. Plus it takes her a long time to lick it off and the whole time I am telling we how good she is and petting her. See how her memory works tonight. Pretty sure I will have more scars before the night is over.

By all means there is a lot of sarcasm in my post. She ain't that bad. And it is fun. She has adapted to our little family better than I expected. But with that said my wife sent me a text letting me know she is sure Jenna was smoking crack today before she got home.

The description of your pup, and your experiences with her makes me laugh.

When they get a little older they don’t get any easier to deal with, they just get more stamina…..

And there is nothing for certain when it comes to working with puppies/dogs because they all have different personalities/temperaments. I am just relaying what I have experienced. With the Catahoula I have now, if you swat him on the muzzle, he thinks you are raising the level of play, so he comes back at you with a vengeance. As far as learning obedience commands, using treats is the way to go I believe.

The pup I have now picks up on things very quickly, and often times he tries to manipulate the situation if it is not to his liking. He really wants to please, but he tests the limits set for him as he gets older. Just like a teenager, he pushes the envelope to see what he can get away with.

And I still have battle scars from when I would roughhouse with my pup a little too much the first few weeks I had him. He tore my forearms up with those sharp little teeth.

I'm pretty sure that not one of us would trade their pup for another. No matter how mischievous they have been.....
Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #208
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Daisy had a bunch of shots today and is very sore. She yelped when I picked her up. I missed our evening walk/run tonight.

I hear ya'll about the attitude, sharp teeth, independence. Any clues on how to get one to quit chasing the cat? She just wants to play with the cat but cat thinks it's life or death. =)
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #209
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Chew get your cat a kennel, my daughters weenie dog never like his kennel. Would pee on himself as soon as you would show him one. ( rescue dog) anyhow now that Jenna has come in the house the dude LOVES his kennel. He knows he is safe in there. It's funny cause he hated it for so long now uses it for a place to protect his rear while he can defend the front.

Tuco I was hoping you would say she would grow out of it. and settle down.

Have any of y'all ever seen a dog tackle or chest bump? She will wait till boudin is not looking. Then come running full speed jump and slam her chest into him. It's funny to watch but rather violent as the little weenie dog gets rolled and has had his breath knocked out of him. Never seen a dog do this before. If I see her getting ready to do it I have to let the poor dude know now cause I feel bad for him.

Antler you lucky to have a willing wild deer to cooperate with your deer tracking. That is awesome! You think he or she will stick around when gets older?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #210
TexasBear
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Chew get your cat a kennel, my daughters weenie dog never like his kennel. Would pee on himself as soon as you would show him one. ( rescue dog) anyhow now that Jenna has come in the house the dude LOVES his kennel. He knows he is safe in there. It's funny cause he hated it for so long now uses it for a place to protect his rear while he can defend the front.

Tuco I was hoping you would say she would grow out of it. and settle down.

Have any of y'all ever seen a dog tackle or chest bump? She will wait till boudin is not looking. Then come running full speed jump and slam her chest into him. It's funny to watch but rather violent as the little weenie dog gets rolled and has had his breath knocked out of him. Never seen a dog do this before. If I see her getting ready to do it I have to let the poor dude know now cause I feel bad for him.

Antler you lucky to have a willing wild deer to cooperate with your deer tracking. That is awesome! You think he or she will stick around when gets older?
I have a boxer that used to do the chest/shoulder bump with me. He would get about a ten yard run and then jump to me and turn sideways hitting me about chest high on my right arm with his left shoulder. Crazy dog. I have been working on him not jumping at all because I am worried it will catch up to him in a year or two.
TexasBear is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #211
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

I gotta get her out in the woods soon. She's turning into a couch potato already lol

Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #212
deerslayer64d
Ten Point

Quote:
I gotta get her out in the woods soon. She's turning into a couch potato already lol

Cam is Definitely a couch potato ! But I Draw the line at letting her watch the crap that's on TV nowadays
deerslayer64d is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #213
TUCO
Pope & Young

I stopped by the local feed store a few days back and came across a handy little Item for laying down a mock blood trail. They are lamb nipples made to put on the end of a bottle.

I have used the one on the left and it works really well. The black one just slips over the end of any small bottle, and the yellow one screws on to a plastic coke bottle. It will not fit on a water bottle because of the rim below the threads.

I use a plastic bottle so I can squeeze it, and regulate how much blood I put out on the trail. It works really well.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #214
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_bays View Post
Thanks a bunch. He's definitely HI-OCTANE.

I got him from fowlwaters here on the GS. I think he is from the Liberty/Dayton area. I really dig Mickey's short stubby legs and bulky frame. Truthfully, I haven't taught him anything, its all instinct. I think he's gonna turn out pretty good. Or at least do what I want anyway.
That's one of Teebows sons! Larry and I bred our dogs together and Mickey was one of the results....sounds as if he is built just like his dad.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #215
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Hey, Jared, here's Mickey's brother, Gunner. He was the little male runt out of the litter you got Mickey from. High Octane also, but smart as a whip. He scent trailed okay the first couple times but now he knows there's food at the end and just goes running downwind scenting for the food. I'm gonna have to get innovative with the trails. Just doing damage control most of the time now.

Attachment 630549

Attachment 630550
HEY! That's one of Teebows babies. Larry and I bred Lizzy and Teebow (in the Academy parking lot). Nice pups, game for sure!
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #216
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

http://youtu.be/P4JirbXOz7Q

hopefully I did this right. This is my little guy searching for his dinner. His food bowl is hidden behind the blue trash can. I made a trail with deer blood to it.
JANSLEY817 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #217
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
http://youtu.be/P4JirbXOz7Q

hopefully I did this right. This is my little guy searching for his dinner. His food bowl is hidden behind the blue trash can. I made a trail with deer blood to it.

That pup was working his nose!

He even barked when he couldn't get to the food. He must have been excited!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #218
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Im hoping I can keep him where he barks when he finds the "prize."
Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #219
JAGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Cool thread. Tuned in.
JAGR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #220
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Very cool thread! New to the forum and to the thread. Great looking pups yall got!! I will be looking for one after Christmas. Lost my cat/heeler mix this year after 11 years. Hardest loss I have been through yet.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #221
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'm hoping I can keep him where he barks when he finds the "prize."
The dogs I have seen work would not bark if they found the deer dead.

They would only bark if they found the deer still alive.

It would be nice to get the dog to bark either way.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #222
AggieArcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Mason County

Agreed Tuco^ Mine wont bark either
AggieArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #223
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Very cool thread!

New to the forum and to the thread.

Great looking pups yall got!!

I will be looking for one after Christmas.

Lost my cat/heeler mix this year after 11 years. Hardest loss I have been through yet.

Welcome to TBH!

Sorry to hear about your dog.

You might contact Steve_243.

He raises some great NALC registered Catahoula’s.

Shoot him a pm and see if he thinks he might possibly have some pups after x-mas.

You might want to get on a pick list for the next litter.

You can do a search of some of his threads, and check out his dogs and pups.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #224
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Quote:
Welcome to TBH!

He raises some great NALC registered Catahoula’s.

Shoot him a pm and see if he thinks he might possibly have some pups after x-mas.

X2 on great looking pups will be getting one when red needs a gf
hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #225
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Welcome to TBH!

He raises some great NALC registered Catahoula’s.familt him a pm and see if he thinks he might possibly have some pups after x-mas.

Thanks for the welcome man much appreciated. Yea was a very tough loss had her from a pup and spent pretty much every day with her. Watched over my family when I wasn't there. Thank you for the info on a pup! Really love the color combination of you pup TUCO and would love to find one like that. I will definitely be sending him a pm.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #226
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post

Thanks for the welcome man much appreciated.

Thank you for the info on a pup! Really love the color combination of you pup TUCO and would love to find one like that.

I will definitely be sending him a pm.
Steve has the brother to my pup so that might work out well for you.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=464776

Name:  IMG_5168.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  128.8 KB

And the other pup you liked (ds64d's pup), is from Steve's last litter.

Name:  cam 1A.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  179.8 KB
Old 07-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #227
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Anyone ever used this stuff? I don't have any deer blood
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #228
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Interesting for sure. I may give it a try. It says for use with his system. Guess I gotta go to the website and see what else he's selling with it.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #229
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Interesting for sure. I may give it a try. It says for use with his system. Guess I gotta go to the website and see what else he's selling with it.

They had his "kit" at bass pro. All it was, was a bottle of that stuff and a fake antler. For $40. I have tons of sheds so I just bought the track stuff for $8
Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #230
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Quote:

They had his "kit" at bass pro. All it was, was a bottle of that stuff and a fake antler. For $40. I have tons of sheds so I just bought the track stuff for $8
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #231
sabreguy
Ten Point

Hunt In: No lease at this time

Quote:

lol cool pic
sabreguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #232
jared_bays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

Quote:

Quote:
I bought a bottle of the blood scent and 2 of the 8"x8" deer hides. Seems to work pretty good. That said, I've only used it for a couple of mock trails.
jared_bays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #233
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Got a buddy in the Houston area giving these pups away. Leopard/Cur mix. 2 male 2 female. PM me if your willing to pick up one or all
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #234
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Steve has the brother to my pup so that might work out well for you.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=464776

Attachment 633740

And the other pup you liked (ds64d's pup), is from Steve's last litter.

Attachment 633741
That would be awesome. Great looking pups!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #235
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:

Got a buddy in the Houston area giving these pups away. Leopard/Cur mix. 2 male 2 female. PM me if your willing to pick up one or all
ask 200 and then mark down 2 100. be gone quick When giving a dog away they seem to go slower.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #236
hoyt21
Ten Point

Recent of red getting big,smart, and defiant at times lol
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #237
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post

Recent of red getting big,smart, and defiant at times lol
That is a great photo AD.

He is getting BIG!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #238
hoyt21
Ten Point

Yea a BIG baby lol, will be home on the 5th of Aug. Hoping to get down to sam canes and get some blood and the fun will start
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #239
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

http://youtu.be/rBsLnuv2DUA?list=UU7...7nTM_Tzf82YlaA

another short little trail we did yesterday. I think its time for us to go do some longer harder ones.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #240
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

red sure is pretty. Do you ever get asked if he is a pit? I get it none stop. I had a guy at petsmart last night tell me I been lied to. He knows all about dogs and been raising pits his whole live and can gaurantee you my jenna is a pit. I just laughed and said ok, have a good one sir.

Oh and how I can relaite to the defiant part. She has become comfortable at our home. Started learning simple commands and boundries, then bam.... all the sudden crack head pup is back. Tell her no and she gives you a look like whos gonna stop me then attacks the baseboards again. Next day a total angle. Women... I tell you
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #241
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Any suggestions for puppy basic training books. Not wanting a lot of commentary about why to train this way or another or what breed does what, why a puppy chews..... bla bla bla, want a simple maybe step by step, week by week training program. What commands to start with first, them move to this next command on 2nd week, week 3 work on this and so on. My schedule does not allow to go to a training class with her. I have plenty of time to work with her and she is responding to the training i am doing. However I feel she has more to offer than my training skills can provide.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #242
Tex
Ten Point

Go to YouTube and search Dog Training by K9-1. They have all the phase 1 training videos in order. Depending on the dog you may be able to knock several of them out in one week. Just go at the pace the dog allows.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #243
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Dirtymike most pups will only hold their attention for maybe 30 mins. Don't try to work you pup to long or you are just wasting your time with them.
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #244
medic911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hopkins Co.

One of these 2 little guys will be coming home to me next week. I can't wait to start training.

medic911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #245
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Never thought about YouTube . Great idea.

And 10-4 on attention span. This girl is ADD for sure.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #246
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastop County

Quote:

This is the kit that I started kimber on until I could get real blood from a deer. It gave a scent is it worked fine I believe. She loved the deer hide , it served as a great driving force for the end of the trail

Our dogs look similar lol
Ballcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #247
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

My pup Sadie after something. Not sure what, but something.
Attached Images

Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #248
MySRT8U
Pope & Young

Did y'all start your pups out on a leash or just lay a trail and let them go? I laid a trail down and put a shed at the end of it. Bailey didn't seem too interested in it. My 2 year old Weimar that had 0 training however, hit the trail immediately and found the shed no problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #249
Steve_243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County and anywhere I get an invite

New puppy to add to my stable of biscuit hounds. Calling him Bleau Bayou. 8 weeks old and ready to get started on blood.
Attached Images

Steve_243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #250
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

He's a beauty Steve. Congrats!
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top