Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #151
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Sorry. Ok this is the pup I started today.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #152
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land
Default Advice for folks starting youg pups

Most of my experience is with Beagles. I've noticed that young pups, less than 6 months old really don't have the skills and focus yet to be proficient in blood tracking. They are like we were as young kids and teenagers. Bouncing off the walls and acting like idiots.

My advice is to not rush them. A short mock trail once or twice a week is sufficient. Make it fun and rewarding. Lots of praise.

At about 5-6 months things seem to start to click and they understand what you are trying to teach them. Then it's time to make the blood trails more difficult with widely spaced blood drops, turns and loops.

Once they start really developing that "hunt" you need to learn to read, understand and trust your dogs behavior. After your blood tracker matures and locates game, start "listening" to him/her and they will become the trainer.

Last edited by Froggy; 06-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #153
TUCO
Pope & Young

Location: Rockwall Co. TX Photography:CANON 50D Videography:SONY Pd 170
Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post

Most of my experience is with Beagles. I've noticed that young pups, less than 6 months old really don't have the skills and focus yet to be proficient in blood tracking. They are like we were as young kids and teenagers. Bouncing off the walls and acting like idiots.

My advice is to not rush them. A short mock trail once or twice a week is sufficient. Make it fun and rewarding. Lots of praise.

At about 5-6 months things seem to start to click and they understand what you are trying to teach them. Then it's time to make the blood trails more difficult with widely spaced blood drops, turns and loops.

Once they start really developing that "hunt" you need to learn to read, understand and trust your dogs behavior. After your blood tracker matures and locates game, start "listening" to him/her and they will become the trainer.
Good info and advice. Thanks Froggy!
TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #154
East Texas
Four Point

Hunt In: Tarkington

Following
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #155
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

I just read a tip I think I liked about starting a dog. Said to soak a sponge in blood and hold it in front of the dog's nose, then every time they smell it, give them a treat to help them associate that smell with a reward, thereby giving them incentive to search a trail for treat. Recommended doing this for a week or so before laying a trail. Good idea, or see any negatives about this?

I found some negative responses elsewhere about my chicken blood thought, so I'm back to trying to locate a blood source and hope I can make the time to get some if I find one.
AJMag is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #156
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

This is Belle. She will be 6 in November. Trained 100% using the Jeanneny book.
As soon as she sees her gear bag and harness she knows it's business time.

Get anyone on your lease to let you track their animals, even "easy" ones.

Haven't lost many dove at all since I've had her either.

Oh, and she is partially blind in one eye due to scarring her cornea as a little pup. She does fine though.
Attached Images

TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #157
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Well she hasn't worked her first trail yet but my teenage son says she's an awesome chick magnet.
Attached Images

Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #158
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP3 View Post

This is Belle. She will be 6 in November. Trained 100% using the Jeanneny book.

As soon as she sees her gear bag and harness she knows it's business time.

Get anyone on your lease to let you track their animals, even "easy" ones.

Haven't lost many dove at all since I've had her either.

Oh, and she is partially blind in one eye due to scarring her cornea as a little pup. She does fine though.
That is a great photo Trey. Is that your family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post

Well she hasn't worked her first trail yet but my teenage son says she's an awesome chick magnet.
That is a cool looking dog OBG. I would love to see some more photos of her.

Is your son on TBH? If so get him to post up some more pics of that good looking pup!
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #159
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Hey, Jared, here's Mickey's brother, Gunner. He was the little male runt out of the litter you got Mickey from. High Octane also, but smart as a whip. He scent trailed okay the first couple times but now he knows there's food at the end and just goes running downwind scenting for the food. I'm gonna have to get innovative with the trails. Just doing damage control most of the time now.

Attachment 630549

Attachment 630550

Change up your reward. Sometimes the reward can be a good game of tug o war. Or you can put the liver in a container so that he can't smell it.
Dogs typically only wind if there is enough odor for it to be easy for them. If there isn't they will go back to the ground and search for scent.
There have been lots of times when my dogs catch a scent from wind and go to it. Sometimes it is a much more direct line to the animal but sometimes the wind changes and the get lost so you have to go back to a "hot spot" so they can track again.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #160
jared_bays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

Just ran 2 trails with the Dog Bone hide with a couple of squirts of their blood tracking scent on the hid and a couple at the beginning of the trail and Mickey did great on both. I drug the hide about 100 yds on each trail and put a chunk of liver at the end of both and he did great. We had a pretty stiff crosswind and he got a little off track on the first and when he realized that he had lost the scent he stuck his nose in the air and came right back to the trail. I would be out there everyday doing this, but itbs too dadgum hot. I had my daughter video but shes not the best videographer. I'll have to work on that too.

Last edited by jared_bays; 06-29-2014 at 08:37 PM.
jared_bays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #161
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastop County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_bays View Post
Just ran 2 trails with the Dog Bone hide with a couple of squirts of their blood tracking scent on the hid and a couple at the beginning of the trail and Mickey did great on both. I drug the hide about 100 yds on each trail and put a chunk of liver at the end of both and he did great. We had a pretty stiff crosswind and he got a little off track on the first and when he realized that he had lost the scent he stuck his nose in the air and came right back to the trail. I would be out there everyday doing this, but itbs too dadgum hot. I had my daughter video but shes not the best videographer. I'll have to work on that too.

That's great man!
Ballcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #162
Lawhorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: S.Texas

Just did a 100 yd mock trail with my new pup under the cover of darkness and I think I am going to have to start putting him on real animals. He is making short work of these "games". He comes from two working parents so I am excited about his potential.
Lawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 12:13 AM   #163
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post
That is a great photo Trey. Is that your family?
Thanks a lot. That is my family. From left to right belle, myself, my dad, and my brother. My nephew is up front with his first deer ever.
Fairly short track but zero blood, maybe 40 yards. Small caliber (.243) with no exit. I think she smelled him from the 4 wheeler as he was pretty rutted up.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #164
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Sure am loving this thread. Ive been making my pup work for his food a couple times a week. I drip a liver water mixture trail and at the end is his food. Little sucker is getting pretty quick at it.
JANSLEY817 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 09:53 AM   #165
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

Great post! I believe any dog can be trained to track some better then others and some more aggressive then others. A dog with high drive takes to it faster and food is not the only reward you can use. Bella is crazy about her ball so at the end of a track she get to play ball. What ever will motivate your pup. One thing that was the hardest thing for me was to not out track you dog. Thinking the track goes one way and pulling your dog off HER track. My dog ground scents and air scents so a lot of times she will get off the blood and take what I call is her short cut to the deer. Let your dog work! I run her on a lead and when I pull it out she knows it time to work. We did not start her on blood we started her on human scent. My wife and I would take her into the woods and play hide and seek. Using one of my wife's shoes and painters tape. Kim would mark the trail with the tape and go hide then I would let Bella scent the shoe and off she would go. It was a big game to the dog with a treat at the end with lots of praise. She found her first deer at 12 weeks an easy track but she would go from blood spot to blood spot until she found the deer. It kinda freaked her out because there was a big old dead buck instead of a dog treat at the end of the trail. She has only lost one track only because we did not have permission to cross the fence. She is now Texas One Blood tracking certified and I am looking forwards to the next blood track and her next test given my Our own Paul Coffman AKA K9 Trainer.
Attached Images

Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #166
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Tracker View Post
Great post! I believe any dog can be trained to track some better then others and some more aggressive then others. A dog with high drive takes to it faster and food is not the only reward you can use. Bella is crazy about her ball so at the end of a track she get to play ball. What ever will motivate your pup. One thing that was the hardest thing for me was to not out track you dog. Thinking the track goes one way and pulling your dog off HER track. My dog ground scents and air scents so a lot of times she will get off the blood and take what I call is her short cut to the deer. Let your dog work! I run her on a lead and when I pull it out she knows it time to work. We did not start her on blood we started her on human scent. My wife and I would take her into the woods and play hide and seek. Using one of my wife's shoes and painters tape. Kim would mark the trail with the tape and go hide then I would let Bella scent the shoe and off she would go. It was a big game to the dog with a treat at the end with lots of praise. She found her first deer at 12 weeks an easy track but she would go from blood spot to blood spot until she found the deer. It kinda freaked her out because there was a big old dead buck instead of a dog treat at the end of the trail. She has only lost one track only because we did not have permission to cross the fence. She is now Texas One Blood tracking certified and I am looking forwards to the next blood track and her next test given my Our own Paul Coffman AKA K9 Trainer.
Good Stuff Riguad!

Thanks for posting!

I hope Paul will post again and perhaps share some of his knowledge & advise.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #167
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I would like more info on this certificate. Is this a course that was taken?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #168
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I would like more info on this certificate.

Is this a course that was taken?
Here is Paul's site, and the tests he gives....

http://www.texasbloodtrackers.com/tr...sts/4582068609
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #169
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY View Post

Here is my now 7month old Redbone.

Copper has been on some short tracks and seems to be picking it up better each time.

Name:  Copper a.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  152.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekatie View Post

Our redbone Copper...aka Red.

He loves being out in the woods. Licking blood and he seems to enjoy it more and more.

Anxious to see him this fall in action!

Name:  Copper 1a.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  181.7 KB

Those are two great looking Redbones fellas.

Best of luck with them this season!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #170
Dave

Is there a good step by step, how to for dummies, program for starting a dog out?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #171
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Is there a good step by step, how to for dummies, program for starting a dog out?
There is some great info on the thread already if you read through it.

I would imagine folks will add a lot more to the thread as time goes on as well.

This might help if you were looking for some reading material.

Name:  Tracking Dogs Book.JPG
Views: 1056
Size:  24.5 KB

Good Luck to you and your dog Dave.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #172
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here is Paul's site, and the tests he gives....

http://www.texasbloodtrackers.com/tr...sts/4582068609
Thanks Tuco. I will check it out
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #173
huntingpj
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas- Florence and Paint Rock

This is my boy Harley. He's half redbone and half bluetick. He's the best dog I've ever had! When the tailgate drops he's in the truck ready to go! Thanks to T-Bone on TBH for letting me have him!
huntingpj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #174
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastop County

Took Kimber on a hide drag today. It was probably around 200 yards. Not a very long one but wanted to see how she would handle getting thrown into a loop. She did well.
Ballcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #175
huntingpj
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas- Florence and Paint Rock

Always liked the GSP!
huntingpj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #176
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Little update on REd my wife brought him out to work so I can keep him with me and start his training. He's grown a lot over the past couple of weeks just UP not OUT. He's got really big bones and looks to hopefully be a big dog

Hoyt21
Attached Images

hoyt21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #177
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

What food do you use? What food have you had bad experience with? I always bought pedigree large breed for my dobys. Not sure I was totally happy with it but as much as they ate it was hard to feed them steak while i was eating ramen.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #178
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike View Post

what food do you use? What food have you had bad experience with? I always bought pedigree large breed for my dobys. Not sure i was totally happy with it but as much as they ate it was hard to feed them steak while i was eating ramen.
$29 for a 40# Bag

Name:  Victor Dog food.JPG
Views: 1001
Size:  21.9 KB

Check your local feed store.....
Old 07-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #179
KR-oldmexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas & Old Mexico

Quote:
$29 for a 40# Bag

Attachment 631978

Check your local feed store.....
You got it TUCO!

Between me, my cousin and my buddy we probably have 50 dogs on Victor 24/20 red bag. We've been feeding working dogs for a long time and IMO this is the best feed for the money!
KR-oldmexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #180
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

That is only a few bucks more than pedigree. I had issues with lots o poo! Was told its the fillers in the low mid grade food. Waking up to my old boy with squirts running around the room in the middle of the night trying to get out side still gives me nightmares
Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #181
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post

That is only a few bucks more than pedigree. I had issues with lots o poo! Was told its the fillers in the low mid grade food. Waking up to my old boy with squirts running around the room in the middle of the night trying to get out side still gives me nightmares
You will find that they eat a lot less of this good food, and their digestive tract should go back to normal as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #182
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballcoach10 View Post

Took Kimber on a hide drag today. It was probably around 200 yards. Not a very long one but wanted to see how she would handle getting thrown into a loop. She did well.
Coach, your dog Kimber has "I will hunt" written all over her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt21 View Post

Little update on REd my wife brought him out to work so I can keep him with me and start his training. He's grown a lot over the past couple of weeks just UP not OUT. He's got really big bones and looks to hopefully be a big dog

Hoyt21
Looks like Red is enjoying riding the roads with his Dad.

All that interaction is going to be great for that pup.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #183
jared_bays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

We feed this to Mickey, the 15 week old JRT.

And this to our 10 year old Miniature Pinscher. Its the same formula as the puppy food, just a little lower in fat and protein.
jared_bays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #184
TUCO
Pope & Young

Default Dog Food Reviews

I posted this link on another thread:

I found this site very helpful in sorting through all the choices.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

It is a comprehensive list that breaks down each brand.

To see all the brands click Dog Food Reviews on the left tab, then scroll through the list and click on the dog food you want to check out.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #185
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Default TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Unable to locate victor dog food so went with diamond. I remember it being recommended to us when I was growing up and we had German Sheppards. It was priced at 32 bucks. Just not ready to drop 50+ for 40 lbs dog food little girl is something else.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #186
catmando
Nubbin' Buck

I feed raw chicken quarters 59 cents a lb at most walmarts less poop less waste.
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #187
hoyt21
Ten Point

Quote:
Unable to locate victor dog food so went with diamond. I remember it being recommended to us when I was growing up and we had German Sheppards. It was priced at 32 bucks. Just not ready to drop 50+ for 40 lbs dog food little girl is something else.
Beautiful dog !!!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #188
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Thank you Hoyt, just picked her up last night. So far she has bayed up my daughters weenie dog in the kitchen not letting him leave, knocked my 1 year over and licked him to death, I woke up to her eating and playing tug a war with my beard, and chewed on my entire house! Oh the puppy days. I was impressed she was only licking my son when she knocked him down cause she was biting his pants. But once he went down she went into lick mode and not bite. Guess she is a keeper. Been 13 years since we had a puppy in the house. Boy they sure keep you busy. But looks like she is a keeper.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #189
hoyt21
Ten Point

That's awesome chew everything they do lol. Reds pretty good about only doing his business outside when we get outside I tell him use the restroom and he does which is a good start considering he's only been with me two days. He goes crazy over a fishing rattle cork I gave him.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #190
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:

So far she has bayed up my daughters weenie dog in the kitchen not letting him leave, knocked my 1 year over and licked him to death, I woke up to her eating and playing tug a war with my beard, and chewed on my entire house! Oh the puppy days. I was impressed she was only licking my son when she knocked him down cause she was biting his pants. But once he went down she went into lick mode and not bite. Guess she is a keeper. Been 13 years since we had a puppy in the house. Boy they sure keep you busy. But looks like she is a keeper.
Your replay of events made me laugh Mike..... Great looking pup, Congrats!

I guess I missed it; what's her name?
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #191
hoyt21
Ten Point

I thought this was a cool picture of red today. I know now to shoot into the sun but I think that all the colors match his color is pretty cool. Hard to see
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #192
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Those colors match up great.

David kept telling me she was something special. My coonazz mother il law suggested name her that but in French and sent this to me.

I told her I just spit on myself trying to say that! She said no read how it's pronounced. So still being long we caller Jenna, when she is doing something bad its Jenna-say, and if its really bad Jenna-say- qua. Best is hearing a 1 year old trying to say it. Maybe pronounces it better than his coon azz momma. Haha

Short answer Jenna
Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #193
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Those colors match up great.

David kept telling me she was something special. My coonazz mother il law suggested name her that but in French and sent this to me.

I told her I just spit on myself trying to say that! She said no read how it's pronounced. So still being long we caller Jenna, when she is doing something bad its Jenna-say, and if its really bad Jenna-say- qua. Best is hearing a 1 year old trying to say it. Maybe pronounces it better than his coon azz momma. Haha

Short answer Jenna
Cool!

That makes four Catahoula’s with Cajun names. (That I know of.)

Gumbo - TUCO

NOLA - Encinal

Boudin - Steve_243

Jenna - Dirtymike
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #194
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Daisy did two short trails out at our property. A deer leg was at the end. She became very protective/aggressive with the deer leg and I had to so some tough love. Never seen anything like it....especially in a 2 month old pup.

She did a 30 yard trail perfectly and lost a 50 yard trail when she overshot a turn. I put her back on it and she finished ok. Working her on a 15' retractable lead for now.

She wanted NOTHING to do with this bandit.

Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #195
HainesNYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home, MN, WY, South Africa

I will be one of the few start with an adult Dog. Cherie (French), is a rescue, about 4 years old now, I have had her for a year. It has been a slow road, but she has come around a lot in the last few months...as far as trusting me and knowing I am not going to beat her. The vet-tech I got her from said she is a mutt, probably heeler and catahoula. She is quick, with a strong prey-drive, and very smart. The lady I got her from said she was he11 on jackrabbits and would regularly catch them.

She is a pretty relaxed dog and hasn’t seemed to be very high strung, I like that. Well, about 2 months ago the squirrels started getting bad out here again. She has made it her job to patrol the area near the house and goes after them. I can bring her in to eat and she keeps running back to the window looking for these guys.

This thread popped up at the right time! I needed to thin these things out, so I let my nephew nail one. We tied it to a piece of rope and I had him drag it around the front yard, with a couple zigs & zags. We brought her outside and that is when I realized I had no idea how to try to START her on the trail. I knew where WE started the drag and did my best to point and show her...all of a sudden she caught the sent and took off. It was about a 50 yard trail and she only had her nose down for part of it...the rest was up in the air. *This makes me wonder if i need to find a way to keep her nose down more?? She found it in 60 seconds or less. Gave her a treat and lots praise. Did another one on another side of the house, about 75 yards. Again, she found it with very little nose to the ground action.

Today I popped another squirrel and figured I’d try to make it challenging for her. This was about 150-175 yards. She did very well, but it took her longer to get her to start the trail. (I need help/ideas with the starting). At the last 30 yards, she looked like she was getting bored, so it took a bit, but got her going again and she found it.

Love this thread!!! Great info
Attached Images

HainesNYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #196
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Ok I know why god made this pup so cute! She is the spawn of satan!! Should named her jaws. ok she is just a puppy. At this point I think another child would have been an easier task. Trying real hard to go at this with the reward positive actions for training instead of popping her on the beak. But she hardly has a positive action. Haha yes I am being dramatic!

But lets talk puppy training for a min. Last puppy I had there were not electric collars. Are these a viable option. My friend has one for his gsp and she responds to that beep like nothing else. Never has to give her the shock. Is this something that can be used with training a puppy? And if so would I need one puppy size strength and one for when she gets older?

Issues at hand are all night howling and crying in the kennel. She is good for an hour or so. ( enough time for you to fall asleep) then wakes up to cry and howl LOUDLY for 10 min then gives it a few hours, ( enough time to fall asleep).

Other issue is just being a playful little girl and jumping on my kids. Trying to teach my 4 year old to correctly give her a pop on beak and tell her no instead of running giggling then getting mad after the teeth have been applied to her tender tasty ankles.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #197
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Man I sure love this thread
Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #198
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_bays View Post
We feed this to Mickey, the 15 week old JRT.

And this to our 10 year old Miniature Pinscher. Its the same formula as the puppy food, just a little lower in fat and protein.
This is some goof stuff. Just be cautious as it is not uncommon for it to give dogs diarrhea and nasty gas. I had to take my pup off of it.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #199
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Quote:
Cool!

That makes four Catahoula’s with Cajun names. (That I know of.)

Gumbo - TUCO

NOLA - Encinal

Boudin - Steve_243

Jenna - Dirtymike

My baby boy's name is Boo Ray. we named him after a really good cajun food place down here.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #200
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:

Ok I know why god made this pup so cute! She is the spawn of satan!! Should named her jaws. ok she is just a puppy. At this point I think another child would have been an easier task. Trying real hard to go at this with the reward positive actions for training instead of popping her on the beak. But she hardly has a positive action. Haha yes I am being dramatic!

But lets talk puppy training for a min. Last puppy I had there were not electric collars. Are these a viable option. My friend has one for his gsp and she responds to that beep like nothing else. Never has to give her the shock. Is this something that can be used with training a puppy? And if so would I need one puppy size strength and one for when she gets older?

Issues at hand are all night howling and crying in the kennel. She is good for an hour or so. ( enough time for you to fall asleep) then wakes up to cry and howl LOUDLY for 10 min then gives it a few hours, ( enough time to fall asleep).

Other issue is just being a playful little girl and jumping on my kids. Trying to teach my 4 year old to correctly give her a pop on beak and tell her no instead of running giggling then getting mad after the teeth have been applied to her tender tasty ankles.
My pup is an almighty trial as well Mike. I think all of us with new pups can attest to that!

What you have to take into account with a puppy is that when you confine them for 30 minutes, it’s like a 30 year prison sentence to them. Putting your pup in the kennel when she is full of energy is a hard thing for a young dog to take.

I have learned to use the kennel at certain times, & I always put him in the kennel to sleep in overnight. I usually have to let him out about 3 am. to go do his business then it’s back in the kennel until 5:00 am. At 5:30 am. I take him on a 3 mile walk, and then put him on his morning mock trail with his breakfast at the trails end. Then he goes back in his kennel and he is out like a light for the rest of the morning.

I try not to put my pup in the kennel until after I have worn him out. This way he associates the kennel with rest or nap time, not jail time. When I put him in the kennel and he doesn’t want to go, I give him a treat so he associates the kennel with good, not bad. I have never had him raise Cain about wanting to get out of the kennel.

When I have to discipline my pup, I don’t smack him on the muzzle. I think when a pup is being a little rowdy and you discipline them in that manner they will often think you are playing more roughly, and it will make them play and bite more aggressively. When my pup needs to be corrected, I get his attention with a light swat the on the hind end with my ball cap. It doesn’t hurt them a bit, but it does startle them; and they will stop what they are doing.

As for the shock collar; I believe you can get your dog to do whatever you want them to without the use of electricity. You just have to take the time to work with them. Everyone wants their dog to follow commands and do what they are told. Well, that takes work. It doesn’t just come naturally. But some folks become frustrated because the dog doesn’t follow their commands right off the bat. They quickly become impatient because they want results NOW, so they go to the shock collar thinking it will speed up the process. And maybe that is the best avenue for some; but I think you can train your dog to do what you want them to do without it.

Last edited by TUCO; 07-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.