Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #101
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bastop County

Thanks for the advice Marty!
Ballcoach10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #102
TUCO
Pope & Young

Location: Rockwall Co. TX Photography:CANON 50D Videography:SONY Pd 170
Hunt In: Webb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bald Guy View Post

My up and coming tracking dog.

My last Catahoula retrieved doves as good as any dog around.

Sure do miss her.
Great looking pup.

My first Catahoula was the same was about retrieving birds OBG.
TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #103
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post
Great looking pup.

My first Catahoula was the same was about retrieving birds OBG.
My Hula dog went with me everywhere and never was gun shy. First day of dove season-she was about 6 months old- I had a dove fall in a fencerow. I wasn't paying her no mind was just trying to find and get my dove when she came out of the fencerow with my dove in her mouth. After that she retrieved birds for me until she got too old and sick to hunt anymore. Never did much care for the way she looked at me when I missed though.lol
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 07:37 AM   #104
ArcheryAddict
Ten Point

Hunt In: La Pryor

Following for the "next" pup.

Would it be possible for you all to also name the breed of dog as well? So far I am leaning toward a cat or a lacy, just have a lot more other research to do before choosing.

Thanks.
ArcheryAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #105
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Daisy just tracked my bacon and eggs all the way from the stove to the table. She's a natural.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM   #106
pyrobow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Lol
pyrobow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #107
Steve_243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County and anywhere I get an invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Daisy just tracked my bacon and eggs all the way from the stove to the table. She's a natural.

Good puppy
Steve_243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #108
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCO View Post
Thatís it!
Awesome...I appreciate the advice!
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #109
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

I will try my hand at offering some helpful advice this morning.

From when I first started training kimber I created her a "work bag". Just like many have stated just something for her to associate its time to trail. I bought a big fanny pack as I figured it made sense, I can keep all her stuff in it and as I trail, I carry it on me With water , treats, reflective markers etc.. In it. When she sees it go to the truck she goes nuts.

Fanny pack

I keep her lead rope in it, her orange vest that she tracks in, my gloves and some treats

The fanny is especially helpful if you track on lead!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #110
Tex
Ten Point

Ok i haven't had time to read all the posts so this may have been covered already but here goes.
The dog that I have now is the 4th tracking dog that I have owned but she is the first that has only been trained by me. The others were already started. I got her when she was 9 weeks old I believe and for the first 3 weeks that I had her she "worked" for every bit of food that she got. I would measure her food out each day and I used it to reward her for her basic commands (sit, come, stay, down). I would also roll her food across our large floor at the shop and have her "find it". I also played lots of tug-of-war with her early on.
I had decided based off of some of the problems I had with my previous dogs that if I ever trained one myself that I wanted them to search for whatever I put them on. Not just blood. Many times I have been called to track a deer that didn't leave any blood until its abdominal cavity filled up so you could go several hundred yards before you have the first sign of blood. Also alot of times you are tracking stomach juices instead of blood.
So once Libby figured out what "find it" meant I started having her track other things that I put her on. I would always reward her with food or some treat.

When she was 5 months old I shot a hog that I thought I had smoked so I decided to let her take up the "easy" trail. At this time she had never even been on a mock blood trail. I let her smell the bloody arrow and she took to it like crazy. Several hundred yards in, the blood trail had almost completely vanished. Just small drops every 10 to 15 yards. She stayed hooked and when we got to the pig it was still alive. I was beyond proud.
I can't remember how many deer she found this past year but she did a great job.

I still run her on Mock trails but I rarely ever use blood. I typically just drag something. I also play games with here to get her to use her nose. I hide her food all around the house and tell her to find it. I will hide tea bags and tell her to find them and reward her when she does. Just anything to get her to use her nose.

Some helpful tips. Learn to read your dog. You should be able to tell when she is "hot" on a trail or when she is "looking" for the trail. When they are "hot" don't bother them. When they are "looking" you can do things to help like circling back to the last place they were hot.
Everyone likes to see a good dog work but keep spectators way back so they don't contaminate the trail. If it is a hard track I don't let anyone go but me and one other person so they can stay at the "hot' spot if she gets a little lost.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #111
JANSLEY817
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

I have a buddy that works with blood hounds. They do search and rescue type stuff. He told me that you want to teach a dog to track a scent not just blood. Just like Tex said the blood isnt always present, but there track is.
JANSLEY817 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #112
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Ok i haven't had time to read all the posts so this may have been covered already but here goes.
The dog that I have now is the 4th tracking dog that I have owned but she is the first that has only been trained by me. The others were already started. I got her when she was 9 weeks old I believe and for the first 3 weeks that I had her she "worked" for every bit of food that she got. I would measure her food out each day and I used it to reward her for her basic commands (sit, come, stay, down). I would also roll her food across our large floor at the shop and have her "find it". I also played lots of tug-of-war with her early on.
I had decided based off of some of the problems I had with my previous dogs that if I ever trained one myself that I wanted them to search for whatever I put them on. Not just blood. Many times I have been called to track a deer that didn't leave any blood until its abdominal cavity filled up so you could go several hundred yards before you have the first sign of blood. Also alot of times you are tracking stomach juices instead of blood.
So once Libby figured out what "find it" meant I started having her track other things that I put her on. I would always reward her with food or some treat.

When she was 5 months old I shot a hog that I thought I had smoked so I decided to let her take up the "easy" trail. At this time she had never even been on a mock blood trail. I let her smell the bloody arrow and she took to it like crazy. Several hundred yards in, the blood trail had almost completely vanished. Just small drops every 10 to 15 yards. She stayed hooked and when we got to the pig it was still alive. I was beyond proud.
I can't remember how many deer she found this past year but she did a great job.

I still run her on Mock trails but I rarely ever use blood. I typically just drag something. I also play games with here to get her to use her nose. I hide her food all around the house and tell her to find it. I will hide tea bags and tell her to find them and reward her when she does. Just anything to get her to use her nose.

Some helpful tips. Learn to read your dog. You should be able to tell when she is "hot" on a trail or when she is "looking" for the trail. When they are "hot" don't bother them. When they are "looking" you can do things to help like circling back to the last place they were hot.
Everyone likes to see a good dog work but keep spectators way back so they don't contaminate the trail. If it is a hard track I don't let anyone go but me and one other person so they can stay at the "hot' spot if she gets a little lost.
Good Stuff!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and advice with us Daniel.

I hope to hear from many more seasoned trackers just like you.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #113
ROWDY
Eight Point

Hunt In: clay co.

Here is my now 7month old Redbone. Copper has been on some short tracks and seems to be picking it up better each time.
Attached Images

ROWDY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #114
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Good post Tex and will will make a fanny pack myself. I like the idea.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #115
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Thanks for the info tex!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #116
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I have a question as I did not really train mine, Jesse B did.

If you teach them to follow anything, and there is 6 deer under the feeder when one is shot, how do they know which one you want them to follow?

The reason I ask is that one of the things that make Bagley so special to me is that she can follow a track right through other trails with other deer and pigs jumping up in front of us.
Every other dog we have had try to work a track has really struggled with the scent and sight of the other animals running around.

Dont get me wrong. Bagley will trail a wounded deer that is not leaving a blood trail, we followed one the other day for 4 hours and found the Axis but she knows she is not allowed to chase unwounded animals and will lay on the back pourch while the yard deer are walking around.

Last edited by Buff; 06-26-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #117
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballcoach10 View Post
I will try my hand at offering some helpful advice this morning.

From when I first started training kimber I created her a "work bag". Just like many have stated just something for her to associate its time to trail. I bought a big fanny pack as I figured it made sense, I can keep all her stuff in it and as I trail, I carry it on me With water , treats, reflective markers etc.. In it. When she sees it go to the truck she goes nuts.

Fanny pack

I keep her lead rope in it, her orange vest that she tracks in, my gloves and some treats

The fanny is especially helpful if you track on lead!

Is that a cut vest or just an orange vest for the dogs safety? I believe you use a lead so I was curious why the vest. Just looking to learn. Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #118
Ballcoach10
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Is that a cut vest or just an orange vest for the dogs safety? I believe you use a lead so I was curious why the vest. Just looking to learn. Thanks

Yes it is a orange vest just for safety. I do run her on a lead and prolly don't need it. Lol But I used it mainly just so she knows if the vest goes on it's work time. I was hoping it would also keep her from getting cut up in thick brush and maybe even help in snake bite prevention in the chest area.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #119
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballcoach10 View Post
Yes it is a orange vest just for safety. I do run her on a lead and prolly don't need it. Lol But I used it mainly just so she knows if the vest goes on it's work time. I was hoping it would also keep her from getting cut up in thick brush and maybe even help in snake bite prevention in the chest area.
Thanks for responding. I was thinking of getting the vest just so my dog would see it and know it was time to go to work. I also have a small cow bell on the collar even though I use a lead rope. Never know when the dog may get away from me so I'd rather be safe
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #120
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I have a question as I did not really train mine, Jesse B did.

If you teach them to follow anything, and there is 6 deer under the feeder when one is shot, how do they know which one you want them to follow?

The reason I ask is that one of the things that make Bagley so special to me is that she can follow a track right through other trails with other deer and pigs jumping up in front of us.
Every other dog we have had try to work a track has really struggled with the scent and sight of the other animals running around.

Dont get me wrong. Bagley will trail a wounded deer that is not leaving a blood trail, we followed one the other day for 4 hours and found the Axis but she knows she is not allowed to chase unwounded animals and will lay on the back pourch while the yard deer are walking around.
A scenerio just like you mentioned (6 deer under the feeder) is exactly why I wanted my next dog to track more than just blood. In my opinion most dogs can tell the difference in the smell that one animal makes over another so, just like Bagley, they can determine which is which. In the past, when no blood was present, I have had dogs start trailing any deer instead of the specific deer. In my opinion injured deer, even though they might not be leaving a blood trail, leave a slightly different scent than a scared deer. With time the dog realizes that they will be rewarded for finding the wounded deer.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #121
Moose
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood/Wise County

Here's our 2 blood trailing knuckleheads. The male on the right is 18 months and the female is almost 5 months. The male is somewhat solid, the female obviously is just beginning her training.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403811062.652876.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  113.2 KB
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #122
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Blood or no blood? What say you?

I'm about to start another dog, and I was planning on using blood, but this thread has me second guessing if that's the best way
Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #123
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:

I'm about to start another dog, and I was planning on using blood, but this thread has me second guessing if that's the best way

I'm not against using blood. Blood puts off scent and that's what the dog is after. I would encourage you to use other scents from time to time.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #124
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Knox counties

Very cool thread Ill post a pic of my wire haired dachshund when i get home
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #125
texanhoyt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland,Stephens, Knox counties

<---------- or you can look in my avatar lol
texanhoyt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #126
hoyt21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, Tx

Good stuff tex thanks
hoyt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #127
coyotekatie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Our redbone Copper...aka Red. He loves being out in the woods. Licking blood and he seems to enjoy it more and more. Anxious to see him this fall in action!
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1403825112114.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  56.0 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1403825140119.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  66.4 KB
coyotekatie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #128
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Here's my lap dog. She has quite a few mock trails under her belt, only missed one when she was about 5 months old but it was long and had 2 loops in it... I haven't put her on a real blood trail yet. Several times I have watched rabbits cross the place and wait till they get in the bushes and put her on them and she always finds them, some of them being as long as 200 yards or so... Can't wait to put her on a real trail

LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #129
PassnItOn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, TX

OK - I'm in. Been wanting to try this, had momma read the thread and she is all about it. This is Remi, sister to Jesse in post 33. We start this weekend. Wish us luck and keep posting advice. Thanks TUCO for starting the thread.
Attached Images

PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #130
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

It is all you should use..if the animal is not bleeding you don't want your dog tracking it.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #131
JW-EW
Four Point

My wirehaired weiner
Attached Images

JW-EW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #132
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassnItOn View Post
OK - I'm in. Been wanting to try this, had momma read the thread and she is all about it. This is Remi, sister to Jesse in post 33. We start this weekend. Wish us luck and keep posting advice. Thanks TUCO for starting the thread.
Good looking pup!!! They're getting big...fast!
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #133
PassnItOn
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, TX

Thanks ShockValue, yes they are! Back at you on the good looking pup! Appreciate the text updates and always a bonus to see an unexpected pic on a thread. This should be fun -I'm sure they will do great. Going back through the thread taking notes now.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #134
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
It is all you should use..if the animal is not bleeding you don't want your dog tracking it.
If you have a gut shot deer do you not even try to put your dog on it? I know some guys won't use their dog unless there is good blood because they don't want to discourage the dog if the animal can't be found. I also know people that simply drag hides for a mock trail and don't use any blood.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #135
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
If you have a gut shot deer do you not even try to put your dog on it? I know some guys won't use their dog unless there is good blood because they don't want to discourage the dog if the animal can't be found. I also know people that simply drag hides for a mock trail and don't use any blood.
I use a hide as well but in conjunction with blood. If there is no blood trail it is not legal to track anyway.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #136
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
I use a hide as well but in conjunction with blood. If there is no blood trail it is not legal to track anyway.
Without checking the law, I think you're right. The term wounded deer is a deer leaving a blood trail. Thanks for the heads up
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #137
Free2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pipe Creek, Utopia

Question:

I have a new pup and am going to begin training her. Is it too much, or too confusing, to "cross-train"? By that, meaning train on blood/hide while also mixing in some antler training. I thought that might be a good way to just continually work on the nose and scent trailing while allowing some good summer time work.

Great thread, will be checking it often.
Free2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #138
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Hey, Jared, here's Mickey's brother, Gunner. He was the little male runt out of the litter you got Mickey from. High Octane also, but smart as a whip. He scent trailed okay the first couple times but now he knows there's food at the end and just goes running downwind scenting for the food. I'm gonna have to get innovative with the trails. Just doing damage control most of the time now.

Name:  Gunner_1.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  188.7 KB

Name:  Gunner dig.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  113.0 KB
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #139
Fergeris
Ten Point

Tuned in to read more later
Fergeris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #140
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

I wonder if I can get this one trained to find me some deer lol. He's been hanging around my house for 8 months now and thinks he's a dog
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #141
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

This is Ruger my wire haired dachshund! If anyone has any extra blood in the freezer they could spare it would be much appreciated, I'm all out!!

This was a pretty difficult trail for him last year that I put a few turns in and aged for a while.

Name:  Ruger.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  125.5 KB
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #142
jared_bays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
Hey, Jared, here's Mickey's brother, Gunner. He was the little male runt out of the litter you got Mickey from. High Octane also, but smart as a whip. He scent trailed okay the first couple times but now he knows there's food at the end and just goes running downwind scenting for the food. I'm gonna have to get innovative with the trails. Just doing damage control most of the time now.

Attachment 630549

Attachment 630550

Gunner looks great. I had forgotten how much these little turds will test your patience.

I was worried about Mickey smelling the liver downwind on the last mock trail he ran so i ran it with a crosswind to try to cut down the chances.
jared_bays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #143
Rich-Kat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Melvin,Tx or where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Thanks like this!!
Rich-Kat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #144
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassnItOn View Post
OK - I'm in. Been wanting to try this, had momma read the thread and she is all about it.

This is Remi, sister to Jesse in post 33.

We start this weekend. Wish us luck and keep posting advice.

Thanks TUCO for starting the thread.
Youíre Welcome PIO!

I am really enjoying reading all the information being posted, and checking out all of the great looking dogs as well.

It is good to see so many folk interested in blood tracking dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxhunter View Post

This is Ruger my wire haired dachshund!

If anyone has any extra blood in the freezer they could spare it would be much appreciated.

I'm all out!!
I have you covered on the blood sth.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #145
k9trainer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Without checking the law, I think you're right. The term wounded deer is a deer leaving a blood trail. Thanks for the heads up
Not entirely true. If you show up and can't visibly see a blood trail but there is an arrow that can prove the deer was hit then you can track it. There are going to be tracks that for the first hundred or so yards there is no visible sign
k9trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #146
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Ran Gunner with the wind this afternoon. He stayed on trail but got so excited he kept passing up the end and treat. He's a little over 13 weeks old now and still a little young. Keeping me on my toes.
Ricky T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 PM   #147
AJMag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF

I'm curious, is any blood good enough to start mock trails with, or should it really be something like beef blood? Wondering because I'm about to prepare some chickens for the smoker and that would be an easy way to fill a jar or two. Then there's the massive amount of varmints around the farm about to get wacked if they don't stay out of the garden and barn.

I'm not even sure where any lockers are around conroe/surrounding area, to ask about beef blood.
AJMag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #148
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

X2. I started a pup on his first mock trail today. He did ok and found his treat at the end. I used deer blood, but don't have enough to train him. I don't know of any place to get beef blood
Old 06-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #149
TUCO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post

Ran Gunner with the wind this afternoon. He stayed on trail but got so excited he kept passing up the end and treat. He's a little over 13 weeks old now and still a little young. Keeping me on my toes.
Quote:

X2. I started a pup on his first mock trail today. He did ok and found his treat at the end. I used deer blood, but don't have enough to train him. I don't know of any place to get beef blood
Congrats on running your first trail AC!

Keep up the good work fellas...
Old 06-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #150
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

The pics above was my first wolf/hybrid. She was a good tracker, and also a great hog killer!

This is the one I started on his first mock trail today. I guess I'm the only one on here that uses wolf/ hybrids. I have a friend that has had great success with them.

If the deer/ hog is still alive the hybrid can catch and hold it also. Mine has taken down wounded hogs by the throat. This new pup will be a deer tracker only.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-28-2014 at 11:26 PM..