Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM   #1
Kossetx
Four Point

Default Ar or mini 30

I'm probably the only one on the planet without one but the hogs have returned in full force so I'm in need. How weather resistant is a "standard" ar? I'd like something that can ride with me in a gator but be able to take the occasional rain shower without turning to a bunch of rust. It will get wiped down regularly but will spend a large amount of its life outdoors. I am looking also at the stainless/synthetic mini 30.

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated. Pete
Kossetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #2
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Piney Woods

The AR is a very resilient and reliable weapon. After a nasty dust storm/ rain shower, air blow it out and wipe it dwn with C.L.P. done. youre welcome

Last edited by talleywack97; 03-18-2018 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Forgot something
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
lbbf
Ten Point

Most of an AR is aluminum. As stated above, dry it out and wipe it down. Get a stainless barrel and your even better off.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County
Default Ar or mini 30

IMO an AR in 7.62x39 with a stainless barrel is the way to go. Cheap ammo and plenty of power for the hogs.

And like stated above. Easy to care for. Wipe off and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Kossetx
Four Point

Thanks folks, that's what I was wondering. How much of an ar is steel. If it's not much I'll probably go that route since you can change things up.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kossetx View Post
Thanks folks, that's what I was wondering. How much of an ar is steel. If it's not much I'll probably go that route since you can change things up.
With a stainless barrel. Trigger components, BCG, springs and gas block.....maybe.

But they are all coated and covered so the weather does not get to them, other than the gas block which is coated and the BCG which is also coated.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Tony Pic
Ten Point

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

AR all the way, in 300 Blackout. The mini Rugers 14/30 have never been known for accuracy, but they are minute of hog killers. Think about this regarding the AR design. It is good enough for our soldiers to take to battle every day and win with. Plus there are so many do dads that you can add. Lego for men is what the modern sporting rifle has been called.
Parts up the wazoo being made by everyone and their mom.
PLUS
I have a stainless Ruger Mini 14, for over 30 years and in my experience stainless galls.
Mushrooms like a chisel that has been beat good. Stainless semi autos are susceptible to this. Hardened steel the way to go.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Ar
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
SC-Texas
Ten Point

A smart aleck part of me ask if this is a legitimate question? But of course it is. Hands down, the AR platform is what you want. It is the absolute most versatile platform on the planet. The Mini-14 simply does not compare in any category and I mean that. The mini 14 does not compare to the AR platform in any category.

Edited: the mini 14 does throw projectiles out of the muzzle in a somewhat reliable fashion. Even if you don't know exactly where they're going to go and end up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by SC-Texas; 03-18-2018 at 02:18 PM.
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #10
breadman
Eight Point

AR all the way
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

A mini used to cost less than most decent AR's. They have a reputation for reliability but also for sub par accuracy. Now that everyone seems to make ARs, prices have dropped and the platform is so much more versatile that, IMO a mini just doesn't really make sense unless you just want one. A .223/5.56 is going to give you more options, but 7.62x39 is a great hog caliber as well.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
A mini used to cost less than most decent AR's. They have a reputation for reliability but also for sub par accuracy. Now that everyone seems to make ARs, prices have dropped and the platform is so much more versatile that, IMO a mini just doesn't really make sense unless you just want one. A .223/5.56 is going to give you more options, but 7.62x39 is a great hog caliber as well.
Is very hard to attach Optics to a Mini-14. Especially if you were going to switch between day nights and night or thermal sites.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
RifleBowPistol
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

I have a cheap Bushmaster AR carbine, in 5.56, that has been the best ranch rifle ever. That thing has been beaten around, rain, mud, many hundred miles on a 4 wheeler, carried it in the truck a good bit. It has always been dead on and never gave me any problems, except when I have tried to quietly chamber rounds, by not letting the bolt drop. I have done that a couple of times and somehow wound up picking up one round out of the mag, then picked up a second round. Because I was looking at a coyote, to make sure it did not disappear and was not paying attention to how far back I was pulling the bolt. When I just pull the charge handle and let it drop, it chambers fine. Because of the not being able to quietly chamber a round easily, I have since bought to side charge AR uppers. With those I can quietly chamber a round.

I know I have slipped and few while carrying my Bushmaster at least twice, when I was sure, the gun had to be knocked off sight, it was not, still dead on. As for ammo, it took some work to find what it liked, but once I figured out what it likes, that is all I shoot out of the gun.

If you are buying a AR specifically for hogs, I would probably look at one in a 6.5 Grendel. The 5.56 chambering or a 223 Wylde will work but best to stick with head shots. If you want a 5.56 or 223 AR, I would look for one with a 223 Wylde barrel, it will be more accurate, with common ammo.

If you get a AR, there are so many options for accessories, ect. My little 5.56 carbine, I have set up, with a short rail on the left side of the hand guard. I have a 750 lumen light I mount on that rail, it is very easy to push the button for the light, with my left thumb. With the scope I have on that gun, plus that light, I can easily see clearly out to 200 yards, probably closer to 300 yards. I used it for coyotes around the house all the time. I wish I had the money to afford a nice night vision scope, but my light and scope work very well and are much cheaper.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest

Id build an AR in 300 blackout
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #15
TexMax
Pope & Young

Ar. You're really over exaggerating the abuse you think you're putting the gun through
TexMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
mikerosa
Six Point

The mini shouldnít even be in the same sentence as an AR for all around quality and reliability.

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
TexMax
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerosa View Post
The mini shouldnít even be in the same sentence as an AR for all around quality and reliability.

Agree. Nor should a .300 in a 16+ inch gun
TexMax is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #18
Outbreaker
Ten Point

If it is mainly for pigs.....unless you have a suppressor you are going to run on it.....I would go .458 Socom or .450 Bushmaster.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
If it is mainly for pigs.....unless you have a suppressor you are going to run on it.....I would go .458 Socom or .450 Bushmaster.
Why not 308?

Old 03-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #20
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
Why not 308?

Ar-15 platform rather than Ar-10 platform.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #21
Preacher Man
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Sutton Co.

No experience with the mini 30, but had a mini 14 that I could not get good groups with. Sold it and went with an AR that is a tack driver. And tough as nails.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #22
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMax View Post
Agree. Nor should a .300 in a 16+ inch gun
I agree the .300BO is best suited for shorter barrels. But, supersonic ammo is really close to a 7.62x39 round. Itís also the most widely available ammo thatís not 5.56. The only thing different on a blackout is the barrel, so reliability or accuracy shouldnít be a concern. I think a 16 inch blackout running supers would make an excellent ranch gun, if you wanted the shoot a larger bullet. But the good ole 5.56 would definitely be my first choice, itís cheap and packs plenty of punch.
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
mikerosa
Six Point

Why not just get a conventional bolt action rifle if itís for pig shooting ? 7mm , .300 or .270 short mag, maybe a 30.06, .308 etc.

I really like a Creedmor 6.5 for long distance. Granted not the pop some of the others have. Equates to a .260 caliber, not half bad for take down and flat shooting.

Personally Iíd get a SKS or an AK47 commie gun before a mini Ruger. Iím personally turned off on them being my hunting pal had to send his back because it was shooting like a spray gun. Apparently the barrel had to be re-floated. His uses the commie round 7.62x39, which is a great round and cheap cost. I have an AR-10 in .308 and 2 ARís in 5.56. ARís are great, the 10ís do have a history of ejection issues. They are very functional and a 5.56 to the bottom of the ear will lay any sized pig down hitting its head to the ground before itís knees bend. Lol

mikerosa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #24
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I agree AR, but no love for the 6.8 ? It has killed every well-hit hog I've ever shot up to 250/275 pounders, and some not so well hit that were running. Some killed out to 200 yards, and as close as 30 yards, all with Federal Fusion 115 grain. I have two ARs in 6.8 SPC, one for day and one for night. I also have a .450 Bushmaster, but it stays in the safe.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #25
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
IMO an AR in 7.62x39 with a stainless barrel is the way to go. Cheap ammo and plenty of power for the hogs.

And like stated above. Easy to care for. Wipe off and go.

X2 on the AR in 7.62x39 just do your research and built it right and get the C-products mags.
justintyme8303 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #26
Kossetx
Four Point

Wow, thanks folks. Plenty of info. Adios Ruger. Would a stock anderson be a ok first ar?
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #27
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Wow, thanks folks. Plenty of info. Adios Ruger. Would a stock anderson be a ok first ar?
Or build it.

Bughole guns will be pricier than throw in truck 2-4 MOA guns.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #28
Wellborn Papa
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.

X2 on the 6.8 SPC it works and ammo is easier to find than 6.5 Grendel.
Wellborn Papa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #29
geezer56
Four Point

AR all day. The 7.62x39 is a pig thumper. Wolf makes a 154 gr soft point steel case round that is a pig hammer. Runs about 10 bucks for 40 rounds. C-products mags are the stuff for this round. I like the 10 rounders, they don't hang down so far and catch on everything like the 30's do. I run my thermal on an AR in this caliber, and yes, the barrel is stainless. No rust, muss, or fuss.
geezer56 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 PM   #30
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Any

Quote:
Should be .... What they going for?
justintyme8303 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #31
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
Ar-15 platform rather than Ar-10 platform.
Oh yeah . . .that.

6.8 then or 6.5 or 7.62x39mm

Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #32
kennyelp
Six Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer56 View Post
AR all day. The 7.62x39 is a pig thumper. Wolf makes a 154 gr soft point steel case round that is a pig hammer. Runs about 10 bucks for 40 rounds. C-products mags are the stuff for this round. I like the 10 rounders, they don't hang down so far and catch on everything like the 30's do. I run my thermal on an AR in this caliber, and yes, the barrel is stainless. No rust, muss, or fuss.
X2, I have an AR in 7.62 x 39mm and use 154 gr sp bullet and it is a hog slayer.
kennyelp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top