Making some newbie progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making some newbie progress...

Well boys, ive been shooting as much as i can lately. Between my knee still recovering from surgery and it bothering me a bunch at times it hasn't been as much as id like. Ive still gotten pretty decent at 10-12 yards with my 40# Sage bow though. I can hold a 2-4 inch group most times with a few flyers at times but still on the target. So this morning i got brave and moved the target back to 18 yards. It took a little getting used to but after 3 rounds of 6 arrows i started grouping and hitting pretty close to what i am looking at again. I finished up with my last two rounds with four arrows around my center spot holding a 2" group and the other two arrows a high and low shot. Those shots just felt bad at release.

Tapatalk not letting post the pics.

Anyways, what i found the last few times ive shot is i was being inconsistent with my anchor so i starting paying close attention to that. I also read that when shooting 3 under to much bottom finger pressure can add to the inconsistency. I paid close attention to that also. After just a few shot i realized a was almost using the bottom finger only. So i work on distributing the pressure on all 3 finger with a little more on the top and bam!! Consistency almost immediately. I was amazed how well i started grouping. Since then i have gotten better and started to actually anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth and even finger pressure with really happy results so far.

I cant wait to build up my muscle memory enough so i can shoot my 51# Sarrels Blueridge S/R with consistency. That bow is a beauty!!

Well back to more practice practice practice!!! Will post pics when allowed.

Thanks,

Ray

Its working again!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372785518.218266.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	24215990

Comment

Nice groups!!! I had the same problem with my third finger when I started. Keep up the practice and you'll be having fun with that Sarrels in no time.

Comment

Good shootin' Ray! I shoot 3 under as well. It took me a while to realize how a small difference in the way you distribute pressure across your fingers, makes a big difference downrange. For a while I tried drawing with three then dropping my ring finger at anchor, figuring it would give me a cleaner release. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't - never got completely comfortable with it so I went back to releasing with three.
        I would guess I have 30% of the pressure on my index finger, 50% on my middle finger and 20% on my ring finger. That may or may not be the "right" way to do it but it seems to give me the cleanest release.

Comment

Looking good man! Keep shooting daily and all those things you have to think about will become subconscious

Comment

I shoot three under as well...........I try to distribute the weight on all three fingers. It seems to work for me. My advice is really watch your grip, as well as anchor, and stay consistent with it. I gap shoot and I will typically hold at full draw longer than most. I also try to be consistent in the degree I am canting the bow, this seems to have improved my accuracy as well.

I am pretty new to trad myself. It seems like alot to process in a few seconds,but with practice and muscle memory it almost becomes second nature!!! Almost

Good Luck and have fun! Nice shootin
            Last edited by killerbee; 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

You may want to try Rick's 3 under tab tip. I tried it and feel like it gives me a smoother release over using just a regular tab without the velcro. Good shooting, btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                You may want to try Rick's 3 under tab tip. I tried it and feel like it gives me a smoother release over using just a regular tab without the velcro. Good shooting, btw!

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=354225
                This really helped me lots!!!

Comment

So basically you tape pieces of velcro in between the tab layers to form the 3 layers?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by poco bueno View Post
                    So basically you tape pieces of velcro in between the tab layers to form the 3 layers?

Ray
                    Yes.....index finger will have the thickest layer followed by the middle finger and the ring finger will have the thinnest layer.

Comment

Sounds interesting!! Im waiting on my new barbee tab to get here. I'll give it a try.

Ray

Comment

try bare finger

Comment

Working...
                        X