Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville
Default What do you bring if invited to friends Ranch?

I own a couple of ranches around Texas. I have friends bring food and cook for the weekend. They will help clean up, and do whatever is needed to have the place ready for the next weekend. They might even bring a cool gift. (something for around the house, a bag of corn,protein, etc). I usually ask them to come back.
I also have friends who think I asked them to come for me to serve them. (Eat all my food, don't make the bed when leaving, etc).
Am I being to picky?
I don't mind cooking and having good time. I would even let them shoot something.
Sometimes I just don't want anybody coming because, of all the extra work I have to do. Kinda like owning a boat. Some people had enough respect to help the owner clean his boat and some said bye after a fishing trip.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

I would bring GOOD steaks and all the other food and drinks.
10 gallons of gas, my own sleeping bag and some corn. Do all the cooking and cleaning and not expect to shoot a deer. Hogs and doves? Yes, my limit

No, you are not being picky.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Not being picky at all. I always ask what to bring & jump right in to do work or help out anyway I can. I ALWAYS bring the best steaks I can get & any other fixings.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:00 PM   #4
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Been there....done that...…
They even expected me, to drive'em there.....
No your not being picky.....
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hunt In: Every where in Texas

I have a friend that invites me to his high fence several times a year. I don't have much opportunity to hunt deer very much. I've never hunted public for deer and don't have enough deer hunting knowledge to do so. So I'm always very grateful when he invites me out. I'll bring a few bags of corn, always clean up after myself, and help do stuff around the ranch if needed. I enjoy running snares which some of them see as a chore. He lets me take a MLD deer or two. A lot of the time I don't even hunt deer, I'll fish and hunt hogs.

I'm sorry that those guys don't pitch in! Hopefully they don't ruin for the rest of the people you invite out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagle19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #6
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

My buddy from AK came down to hunt last December. He'd been in TN for a conference before coming to texas. He got me a bottle of small batch Jack Daniels with a thank you engraved on the bottle. Pretty cool. And we've been trading hunts for years.

Gratitude is hard to measure, but if you eat my food and drink my whiskey, I hope you enjoy it. I guess I know that the people I invite out will be gracious. If they don't get a second invite they probably will get the message.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I've been known to bring steaks, BBQ, beer, whiskey, gifts, etc etc as a guest.

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #8
Gherkin05
Ten Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

And when I have guests at the house and lease, I usually feed, house, clean and make sure they are well taken care of.

I guess you could say I'm a giver and not a taker as a guest and host . I've come across a lot of takers in my life but I enjoy the giver side of it. It can be a lot of **** work but it is what it is. All I expect is in return is a thank you and sadly you'd be surprised how many forget that...
Well said.
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
critter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: CO and Texas when I can

Don't have any friends that own any ranches, but we hunt a ranch down there every year for pigs and javelina. We always bring all of our own stuff, never ask for any help of any kind. Offer them to stop by camp and eat dinner with us, drink a few beers, or crown and cokes. Tell them if they are by camp when we're not around and need any thing to eat, drink, sleep, tools, what ever to help them selves. We pay a daily fee ( glad to do) and make sure while we are there, no trash is left any where, in the field or camp. And when we leave, leave the camp sight better then we found it. I wish I had friends that owned ranches, and would love to cook, clean, drive, fix feeders, fences what ever needed to be done. It would be heaven to help out with something like that. Good friends are hard to find, good friends with ranches are rare. I appreciate being able to hunt someone's property wether it's " free" or iam paying a trespass fee. And try and treat there property and them with the utmost respect and care. I will generally send who ever it is we are dealing with a Chritmas card with a couple hundred bucks in it also.

Last edited by critter69; 07-15-2018 at 11:31 PM.
critter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

When I invite people to hunt with me, I try to be a good host.

We buy groceries, do all the driving and guiding, and most of the cooking. I work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and having a good time. I'll even clean their deer for them.
All that is ever expected in return is a little help cleaning up the kitchen and camp when we're done. Groceries, beer, corn, and cash are nice contributions, but not expected.

When I was a kid I got invited on a lot of hunts and I never had money to chip in for food or buy expensive gifts for the hosts. Now that I have the means to take others hunting, I enjoy giving back. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I don't invite people to hang out so they will give me stuff.

Edit: I will say if I am invited somewhere, I clean up after myself, clean and take care of my game, help with chores, and chip if for food and beverages. I'll bring a nice bottle of wine for my hosts if they like that sort of thing.
I gave someone a custom made duck lanyard once as a "thank you."
As a guest, I do not expect to be catered to.

Last edited by Sika; 07-15-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
docmay
Pope & Young

I always bring good food and cook. I will bring whatever beverages the host would enjoy and it’s usyally stuff I know. Good wine or whiskey or a variety of beer. I usually pay something for what I shoot except at my sisters and I would if they would take it. I clean and skin any game that needs it and try to leave the place somehow better than I found it. It’s an honor to be invited somewhere and should be treated that way!
docmay is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Jared.King
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eden, TX and Yoakum County

Quote:

When I invite people to my families ranch, I normally buy the food, and cook it because that's something I enjoy doing. I expect help doing some of the chores, but that's it. My friends have been great though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter69 View Post
And when we leave, leave the camp sight better then we found it.
This is what my dad taught me, can't go wrong.
Jared.King is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #13
CJ776
Six Point

Hunt In: Baylor County

sweat equity, always help clean, cook/always offer to cook
CJ776 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #14
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ776 View Post

Yes ...I forgot to add this in as a guest as well. I am big on cleaning up after the big meals and before we leave....Especially at my brother's and parents' around the holidays.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #15
JANKEII
Four Point

I hear what your saying. Always want to help out the guest. After all they are the guest.
I never want to invite people just so I could get something from them. Just a little help would be nice. If I don't want to help as a guest, I would go pay to stay in a resort.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when someone invites me to their beach house, ranch, vacation home or etc. I'm doing whatever they need me to do.
Some owners take advantage of this which is just as bad as the guests not helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
When I invite people to hunt with me, I try to be a good host.

We buy groceries, do all the driving and guiding, and most of the cooking. I work hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and having a good time. I'll even clean their deer for them.
All that is ever expected in return is a little help cleaning up the kitchen and camp when we're done. Groceries, beer, corn, and cash are nice contributions, but not expected.

When I was a kid I got invited on a lot of hunts and I never had money to chip in for food or buy expensive gifts for the hosts. Now that I have the means to take others hunting, I enjoy giving back. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I don't invite people to hang out so they will give me stuff.

Edit: I will say if I am invited somewhere, I clean up after myself, clean and take care of my game, help with chores, and chip if for food and beverages. I'll bring a nice bottle of wine for my hosts if they like that sort of thing.
I gave someone a custom made duck lanyard once as a "thank you."
As a guest, I do not expect to be catered to.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 AM   #16
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

If you’re the guest, be a considerate guest.
If you’re the host, make your guest feel welcome.
People really over-complicate these things.
Of course etiquette is a two way street but if you’re expecting something in return, it’s not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and you’ll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just don’t invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.

Last edited by Sika; 07-16-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #17
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Unfortunately, a lot of folks dont process the mind set that an invitation is not and should not be considered, as mentioned a resort outing/stay. I am not sure where the mind set originates, my guess it's the way a person is/was raised. If those peeps that are not so helpfull/gracious are good friends and or good people other than not helping, you might mention it at the time of the invite. Something as simple as "I am hosting a social gathering and would like for us all to share in the cooking, cleaning and all of the fun that goes along with said gathering." If they don't get the hint stop inviting them.

Minimally, I like to bring adult beverages and will make home made salsas that folks are not going to be able to buy at a store.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #18
Jcjohnson
Six Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

Quote:
If youíre the guest, be a considerate guest.
If youíre the host, make your guest feel welcome.
Of course etiquette is a two way street but if youíre expecting something in return, itís not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and youíll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just donít invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.
This Pretty much sums it up for me also, well said. Definitely bringing snake boots, work gloves and a gracious attitude as a guest. If any thing else is expected I would hope to be informed.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 AM   #19
cj_sandman
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I pack the cooler full of steaks, some potatoes, and bring a handle or two of whiskey. I bring extra ice for drinks. I may bring a few cigars, and I’m never too stingy to lose a little bit of my OWN money at the poker table. I also bring along stuff I think my friend may find useful; items in the past that have been gifted are: game cameras, optics, tools, feeder parts, electric hoist... etc, and of course I’m always up to help with projects around the ranch. Cleaning up at the end of the trip and hauling out trash if necessary as well.

I always get invited back, so I’m guessing I’m an ok guest.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 AM   #20
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

If I have somebody out to the place, I don't require anything from them except that they have a good time.
If I invite someone over to the house for a party, I don't expect them to cut the grass before they leave. Or even load the dishwasher.
I don't have friends just so I can get something out of them.
If they feel like bringing something, that's fine, but if they didn't, I wouldn't even notice. It would never cross my mind.
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:14 AM   #21
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I guess I have a different meaning of "friends" than some.

I don't invite out people that I don't know how they'll behave and I don't get invites from folks that don't know how I'll behave.

That's why we're friends
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 AM   #22
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

Quote:

When Clay peed the bed full of Zima did he offer to get a new mattress or try to cover it up with turkey feathers?
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #23
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Corn, timers, beer, food, chairs for stands, cushions for chairs in stands etc... Things I know they need.

Now, if I invite someone out to my place and they kill the biggest hog of their life? I expect them to at least give me a spare battery holder.

Last edited by Fishndude; 07-16-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 AM   #24
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
If I have somebody out to the place, I don't require anything from them except that they have a good time.
If I invite someone over to the house for a party, I don't expect them to cut the grass before they leave. Or even load the dishwasher.
I don't have friends just so I can get something out of them.
If they feel like bringing something, that's fine, but if they didn't, I wouldn't even notice. It would never cross my mind.
Same here. I donít want someone to think that Iím expecting anything other than their company when I invite them over.

I also donít invite someone to come over and hunt and then tell them they canít shoot a buck, etc. I would be disappointed if I got invited to a friendís place and couldnít really hunt.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #25
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

I bring knives to show off and leave with less of them! It's more fun for me than money. Last time we went we filled all the water tanks for the owner in 108 heat. I made a knife for the guide for skinning my kills and I even volunteered to clean one that he thought I'd gutshot. Turned out it was quartering away from me and the bullet went between the ribcage and the gutsack fragmenting in the chest cavity! Got to keep my pride AND show my knife skills!! When your a knifemaker being good is required but being lucky don't hurt none either!!
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #26
TCB
Ten Point

I've been blessed with the opportunity to hunt a college buddies property for 20+ years. Over the years we've installed hot water heaters, tagged sheep, fixed a windmill in addition to trimming lanes on the ranch. We've also built several blinds, bought feeders and always bring 10-20 sacks of corn all on my cost. The occasional bottle of whiskey always helps as well.

Bottom line....treat it as if it was yours and you'll usually get invited back.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #27
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I wouldn't invite those people again. Problem solved
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #28
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

when invited, I ask and insist on the host to let me help, buy things, set up, clean up, assist in some way.
Its simply respect for the invitation and generosity of the host.

I dont expect that when I host, but the ones that return that same sentiment get remembered for next time.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #29
JANKEII
Four Point

I really get the meaning of having guest over. Inviting someone over to your vacation place, and not expecting anything. I don't think anyone on the green screen is expecting anything from a guess.
I also didn't buy a vacation place to have friends come over, and me serve them. That would get old every weekend.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #30
HighwayHunter
Six Point

If I have people over I donít expect anything out of them other than being polite. The ones that help clean up, bring gifts, etc are usually the ones I invite back. If I owned a ranch, and I invited people to come hunt for free I would actually expect the rooms they stayed in to be clean at the very least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #31
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ776 View Post
This right here. Ive been to leases where other guests are sitting around drinking beer. All they want to do is go hunt. Im helping out and busting tail. Ive been back and they have not.

On another note when I ask people to fish or to my place in the woods, the first time is on me. Ill usually say "nothing, or whatever you want to drink". If they bring food or something thats OK. If they bring corn or offer gas money thats OK also. However, dont expect the next 3 or 4 trips to be the same. I can promise there aint gonna be a 5th. Even if you screen shot your 'facebook memories' and send me a text saying....look its been 6 years since you took me fishin.

Gonna be that at least that much longer Pot-nahh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Corn, timers, beer, food, chairs for stands, cushions for chairs in stands etc... Things I know they need.

Now, if I invite someone out to my place and they kill the biggest hog of their life? I expect them to at least give me a spare battery holder.

Might as well tell us who did that? But I feel like he's already posted here
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #32
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:

I have seen pics of some big hogs from your place that have been posted on here
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #33
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I have seen pics of some big hogs from your place that have been posted on here
Lol. Olí Smarty knows Iím joking. He didnít owe me anything. I took him cus He deserves a booooonuuussss!! . All an inside joke of course.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #34
howabouttheiris
Eight Point

My standard show of thanks is ...

1) I drive the owner the 3.5 hours to the ranch.
2) I plan, bring, prepare all food for lunch and dinner (steaks) for all.
3) I bring an evening snack for all (cheese / meat tray, etc)
4) I bring a cooler of beer, water, gatoraid for all.
5) I pay a portion of the ranch house maid fee.
6) Field dress all animals for owner.
7) Quarter and cooler-prep anything not going to a processor.
8) Expect to do a few hours of labor (grass cutting)
9) Bring 4 bags of corn to bait (over and above current feeders in place).
10) Trash bag and general floor sweeping duty.
11) Take owners gun and confirm zero the week before the hunt. (not really an avid hunter)
12) Spot shoot does, spikes, and low end culls only. (and hogs/turkey)
13) Bring/prepare gear/tackle for any other planned events (fishing stock ponds, night shooting rabbit/predators)
14) Buy lunch during the drives, food if in town, etc.
15) Never over drink and be the guy setting the coffee pot in the morning.

This is in no way a complaint. I am honored to be invited onto a property 2-3 times per year that one could easily tag out any given weekend.

As a previous boat owner, I understand the cost of ownership. By extension I understand the running cost of such a place and what a 3 night hunt that you shoot 3 deer, 4 hogs, 2 turkey, 20 rabbit, catch largemouth bass and stay in an air conditioned lodge would cost. It is far less than the $4-500 bucks that I put out.

After years of having to ask someone to put down their beer to grab a rope when we got to a marina, so I could buy us beer..... I try to be better.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; 07-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.
howabouttheiris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #35
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Find new friends that are more appreciative!
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #36
wdtorque
Eight Point

Givers and Takers as mentioned before.
Some Takers are worth the effort, you get to choose.
I'm not above asking/telling someone what they need to bring if I know
their history, ie. "You got water and beer Richard, for everybody, all weekend. OK?"
If they are a "customer" then nothing expected, cept maybe some bidnis.
Givers, most are a pleasure to have around.
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #37
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:

Amazing aint it? All of this applies to owning a house on a lake or the coast as well.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #38
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
If youíre the guest, be a considerate guest.
If youíre the host, make your guest feel welcome.
Of course etiquette is a two way street but if youíre expecting something in return, itís not really giving is it? Give with zero expectation of return and youíll never be distressed waiting for your payment. You just give and be a happier person for it.

If the guest is a lot of trouble, just donít invite them back. Or do, but mention that you could use some help cooking and cleaning. Make your expectations clear.
Pretty much nailed it, if I invite you out your expected to do nothing but enjoy the ride. I am going to be doing the work anyway whether your there or not and most times it is better for me if you just stay out of the way anyway. I invite you out because I enjoy your company so that is all I expect out of you. But I don't just invite anybody out either.

A real quick way to get off the guest list is to talk your self up and act like you know what your doing and then get out here and be a green horn. I have nothing against taking new guys out or introducing people to hunting, but if I ask you to come coyote calling and I am having to spot and kill everything or stuff is being educated in my primo spots I am going to be agitated if the expectation was for you to be able to function and kill stuff. If your new and need help I will set things up in your favor and help you out and my patience level is going to be geared towards that, but I can only do so much with the info you give me and it will just frustrate both of us.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #39
Louis
Eight Point

Not being picky at all. If I was to b invited like that I would gladly help out anyway I could. Just respectful in my book. My even get me invited back again. Any one that didn't want to help out and pitch in and expect everything done for them would definitely NOT b invited back.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Dp

Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #41
JHT
Pope & Young

It's pretty simple.

If someone offers you an invite to their place and they never offer you an invite back its your fault.

We have a good time at our place. But there have been good friends of mine that don't get invited anymore. I am still good friends with all of them. They figured it out.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #42
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243 WSSM View Post
When Clay peed the bed full of Zima did he offer to get a new mattress or try to cover it up with turkey feathers? b

. ... thank God Zima is clear and he left his Jolly Ranchers at home.

Seriously though ClayW and PoPo are incredibly grateful guests. Fun having them out.

Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
Lol. Olí Smarty knows Iím joking. He didnít owe me anything. I took him cus He deserves a booooonuuussss!! . All an inside joke of course.

You *****

Last edited by Smart; 07-16-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #44
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

When I’m invited somewhere I buy/split groceries, offer to drive or fuel up the truck atleast once, and bring corn/protein/sweet feed. I try to work more than I hunt and clean up the best I can. If anyone shoots a animal I clean them as well
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #45
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

If I get invited I try to bring something for them even if just bringing food to cook, such as steak, drinks, chips etc anything that I can cook or help them with so I don’t show up empty handed and eat all their groceries so to speak. I’ve also brought supplies if I know they’re in need of something specific. Mainly try to bring more than I’ll consume and something they will enjoy
When people come to my place I don’t expect much from them except to be helpful, it’s always a great thing if they bring something but not a requirement.
One thing that’s always great is when the guest give a Thank You for the stay.
I think that gets them farther and and usually can earn them a invite back
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #46
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I guess I am the same. I do most of the cooking, cleaning, bring a gift, do all I can to help!
I don't like a mooch, and they get crossed off my list!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #47
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANKEII View Post
I really get the meaning of having guest over. Inviting someone over to your vacation place, and not expecting anything. I don't think anyone on the green screen is expecting anything from a guess.
I also didn't buy a vacation place to have friends come over, and me serve them. That would get old every weekend.
Its very simple, you need new friends, and I think you should pick me
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #48
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I try and bring stuff to eat and cook and help clean or get corn or whatever! Usually grab steaks and some taters or bring my fryer and plenty of crappie or axis backstraps. Will have whiskey and cold beer and plenty of cigars as well. I enjoy cooking so your place or mine I'm liable to psuh you out of the kitchen anyhow!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #49
Chad C
Pope & Young

Whatever beer they like to drink, whatever whiskey they drink and food fit for fatboys! Clean up, pick up...rinse and repeat.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #50
wdtorque
Eight Point

Default Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Whatever beer they like to drink, whatever whiskey they drink and food fit for fatboys! Clean up, pick up...rinse and repeat.
I resemble that remark! Well Said,
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top