6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave View Post
    The 6.5 Grendal was specifically designed to be AR15 mag friendly and provide 6BR like performance out to 1000 yrds. It is really coming into it's own between 300 and 800 yds.
    For target shooting. It doesnt have enough energy for hunting much past 350yd in 16" barrels and factory loads.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot some SST's in the "grundle" and wasn't impressed. They seemed to blow up. Maybe they were going to fast out of a 24" barrel. I loved the gun, though.
      Last edited by TxAg; 05-23-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
        Grendel is a 300yd range and 6.5 CM 800yd.
        NOT TRUE! I dropped a buck this past season at 428 yards with my Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by switchbackxt View Post
          Dang. What bullet?

Comment

Not saying you can't hit one further, but from a energy/velocity ethical standpoint using factory loads- 16" barrel you fall below bullet expansion levels at 350. If you want to punch pencil hole thru them you can hit them as far as you can hit them. Most bullets require 1800fps or more to expand. With a 24" barrel you stretch out to a little over 400yds but still drop below 1000 footpounds of energy at 400. Its 350 with a 16'' barrel. OP is talking for deer hunting.

Comment

And I shot a grasshopper in the eye at 100 yards with my Red Rider BB gun but I’m not going to claim that’s repeatable....

Comment

Since this tread turned a little I have a question. Are the velocities out of the Grendel low enough to let you use match ammo to hunt with? More specifically the Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullets 120gr. I read they are not designed for hunting, but has anyone tried them? Man they shoot good out of my gun!!

Comment

6.5 creedmoor vs 6.5 grendel

Not saying you can't hit one further, but from a energy/velocity ethical standpoint using factory loads- 16" barrel you fall below bullet expansion levels at 350. If you want to punch pencil hole thru them you can hit them as far as you can hit them. Most bullets require 1800fps or more to expand. With a 24" barrel you stretch out to a little over 400yds but still drop below 1000 footpounds of energy at 400. Its 350 with a 16'' barrel. OP is talking for deer hunting.

There are purpose built bullets that expand well below 1800fps.

For example the ABLR bullets; they claim to expand down to 1300fps.

My Grendel shoots the 129 ABLR at 2500+fps. At that velocity it is 1000# of energy to 500 yards and remains above 1300fps out to 1000 yards.

This is with a 20” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    Since this tread turned a little I have a question. Are the velocities out of the Grendel low enough to let you use match ammo to hunt with? More specifically the Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullets 120gr. I read they are not designed for hunting, but has anyone tried them? Man they shoot good out of my gun!!

I wouldn’t risk it. It’s not reliable on expansion. The 129 ABLR is a better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      Dang. What bullet?
                      Hornady SST 123GR

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        And I shot a grasshopper in the eye at 100 yards with my Red Rider BB gun but I’m not going to claim that’s repeatable....
                        Nice shooting Tex.

Comment

I guess Hornady should get a good talking to for printing false info.

Attached Files

Comment

"NOT TRUE!" I always get a chuckle out of these threads.

Comment

I guess Hornady should get a good talking to for printing false info.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-123-gr-sst#!/
                              Thats a 24" barrel just Like I said slightly over 400yds. Not many 24" AR's out there nor many that want to have one. If the OP wants a bolt gun the CM still smokes the Grendel for deer hunting. The grendel is a fine gun and the best in AR 15, slightly better on paper than 6.8 SPC but real world they are pretty much equal for hunting ranges, for targets the Grendel out passed 600 yds starts making a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X