257 Roberts bs 25-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
    Which ever way I go I'll be ordering a MGM barrel. I have one of their 308 and really like it.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't see myself shooting many whitetail up here. It's really just to have and teach my boys to shoot maybe a coyote or something.
    If it's simply to teach your boys and for coyotes, then you already have a great round in the .243. Now, if it's for purpose or "want" then I'd go .25-06. It will be great on muleys, whitetails and even Elk with the right bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Starman View Post
      I have no experience with the 257, but have owned a Browning A-bolt 25.06 for 25 years, and it is the most accurate rifle I've shot. It works for me. Shoot very tight groups with 117 grain Federal Premium ammo, but haven't shot anything bigger than a whitetail with it.
      Same story here too

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        You don't buy a .257 Roberts for anything other than what it is. It's a great middle of the road, old school, perfect, Texas deer caliber....with some style...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This post I like. I agree with Dale completely. Then again I like things that are off the beaten path.

Comment

I guess I have to put my 2 cents in. I like both but as the name says "257" Roberts and AI. I have both in many versions and they have taken everything from pigs/elk/WT/Axis, etc. All 1 shot kills. I like them so much I am building a AR M5 platform in 257 Roberts right now.

Comment

I'd probably go .257 WBY or 6.5 SAUM if I was going custom in that range.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              I'd probably go .257 WBY or 6.5 SAUM if I was going custom in that range.
              Neither are available for the Encore.
              All th best,
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
                Neither are available for the Encore.
                All th best,
                Glenn
                Mike Belm can make for you

Comment

25-06 all day everyday.

Comment

Personally, I like the 257 Rob. That being said, I like the whole family with the parent case (6mm Rem, 257 Rob, 7x57). As said above, dead is dead and it's hard to argue with results. Ballistically speaking, the 25-06 is a rather inefficient round by today's standards but will still kill just as dead as any newer chambering.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                      257 Roberts is a great cartridge but there is a reason Ackley blew the shoulder forward..
                      yeah... he liked to improve stuff.

It sort of got a bad name because Remington loaded its factory ammo to low pressure out of safety concerns for the rifles around at the time.
                      I don't have any concerns about performance of a standard .257 Bob case in the hands of a capable reloader.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                        Just looking at a new barrel for my TC. What's the opinions on these two calibers?

Ballistic, reloadbility ( in relation to materials), accuracy?

Thanks
                        I'm assuming you have the TC Encore....if so, how about the 6.5 Creedmore. I just read a review on the cartridge and in TC offering it for the encore. The ballistics and all were quite impressive to me...so much so that I think I'm going to add one to my safe tomorrow....Academy has the new TC Compass for $274 with a $75 rebate...can't beat that..

Comment

Originally posted by 257 View Post
                          Mike Belm can make for you
                          Mike Bellm doesn't make barrels.

From his site:
                          Once again, I, Mike Bellm, do not “make” barrels, and I personally do not deal in TC factory made barrels. I only customize existing barrels, either those I have from Bergara, a barrel you buy from me or Kurt, or a barrel you send to me.

I won't speak for him, but I bet he won't re-chamber a barrel in either of those two cartridges. You can ask. My money is on him turning you down for those two.

All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                            Personally, I like the 257 Rob. That being said, I like the whole family with the parent case (6mm Rem, 257 Rob, 7x57). As said above, dead is dead and it's hard to argue with results. Ballistically speaking, the 25-06 is a rather inefficient round by today's standards but will still kill just as dead as any newer chambering.
                            Rather inefficient? How so?

Comment

7mm-08
                              That's my vote

Comment

Originally posted by Winman View Post
                                I'm assuming you have the TC Encore....if so, how about the 6.5 Creedmore. I just read a review on the cartridge and in TC offering it for the encore. The ballistics and all were quite impressive to me...so much so that I think I'm going to add one to my safe tomorrow....Academy has the new TC Compass for $274 with a $75 rebate...can't beat that..
                                Kurt Bellm just got some of the 6.5 Creedmoor ProHunter barrels in stock. He shows 28 available right now:

I'm also thinking about that Compass. Just over $200 (after rebate) for a bolt action. I know it's not a high end rifle. But for $200... I just may test one out.

All the best,
                                Glenn

Comment

Working...
                                X