Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Elk Hunt recap - First time, Lessons learned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write. I have been on several diy hunts and it's extremely difficult. It's an emotional roller-coaster that you can't train for until you do it. It's addictive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man,what a write up! I've always wanted to do just what y'all did.I can only imagine how heavy that pack gets going up hill.My lower back started to hurt a little looking at those pics! You'll get 'em next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
        Up here now and it's silly the number of people. Camps on top of camps and 4wheelers everywhere. Sounds like you have he right attitude so keep pounding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yep. If/when hunting with this many people it's shear luck if you get one. Someone most likely pushed them to you.

I did the same thing a couple time OP. Hiked my rear off up and when I got to the top saw 3 4-wheelers parked there. Screw that. I'm not even sure it's possible to find a place anymore where one can hike in more than 4-5 miles without nearing a trailhead on the opposite side. I though V-rock south of Pagosa would work but still too many people. Elk were 5 miles in and pushed up on a near impossible climb.

Honey holes are kept secret and for good reason obviously.

Comment

They don't come easy! Learn from your experiences and stay after them!!

Comment

Beautiful country!

Comment

What unit did yall go to? Im surprised there were so many people being that it was a unit that required a you to draw a tag. Usually they have alot less than the OTC units.

Comment

You are correct, the timing is a little late this year. I have a friend, who lives in New Mexico and he is saying the same thing. Hell of a trip and thanks for sharing. I will be heading to Winston the first week of October.

Comment

By the way thanks for sharing your experience, there is no substitute for it!

Comment

Great write up. Similar to my first trip 5 years ago only I headed into a wilderness area as atvs in the mountains drive me crazy. Unfortunately I ran into multiple outfitters. However like you I was hooked. I'm currently in Colorado Springs waiting to drop my wife at the airport so that I can hear back up the mountain for my second trip of the season.

Comment

2017 Elk Hunt recap - First time, Lessons learned.

Let me give you a "trick" when faced with other hunters on quads.

I hunted elk in Oregon. First I hunted the John Day Wilderness Area- no roads, no quads, no dirtbikes. A local taught me this- the quads always started at one point in public land and buzzed up the mountain slope towards a ridge, which was the boundary with the wilderness area. Every morning they'd push elk through 3 saddles in the ridge into the wilderness area. That was where to be a couple hours before shooting time to set up.

Let them push the elk to you- if you can.

Hunting Colorado we got so pizzed at the guys on dirt bikes (Missouri license plates) , who were destroying the trails too that we would pull fallen trees across the trail where they could not simply drive around them. Not a nice thing to do, but it did not impede hunters on foot or horses.

Hunt hard- life's short!

Comment

Originally posted by raiderelkhunter View Post
                        Tv makes elk hunting look way easier than it is. Cam Hanes is a joke up here btw. Watch Randy Newberg on YouTube. He's the real deal.

I didn't say this, but come up to Montana. Way less crowded up here. Lots of general units you can just buy your tags otc as well.

I've never hunted Colorado, but I've heard it's a **** show.
                        I would include Nate Simmons on the western Hunter right there along with Newburg. Always diy

Comment

You've already demonstrated the willingness to do a backpack hunt. My suggestion is to find a unit with a large wilderness area where motorized vehicles are prohibited.

Comment

Working...
                          X