fairfield state park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fairfield state park

we drew a doe hunt this year. first week of December.
    any pointers on which stands to try to get, or anything I might need to know. the only time ive been there was to fish a couple times, and we saw a bunch of deer

Congrats. I hunted it a few years ago. I drew a stand just outside the park that I liked. It was a brush blind they had set up on the edge of a pipeline right-of-way that worked well. I would suggest bringing your own chair for comfort and a lot of corn since they let you bait. I shot a young doe the first afternoon and saw some hogs late. There was a beautiful mature 9 point that walked within 10 feet of my blind. That was really cool. They were overrun with hogs at that time. There were not a lot of deer brought in on my hunt. I think sometimes they do back to back hunts there and the second ones are not nearly as good. Overall I enjoyed the hunt. Very pretty place to hunt and lots of animals, even if not a lot brought in. I could hear the hogs running around all through the hunt. They were tearing everything up in the area I hunted.

One strange thing about that hunt that I remember - during the orientation there were two "ladies" from Austin. They were all done up in pink camo and had on heavy perfume. One was definitely a lady in her 50's but her friend who was a pretty large gal looked similar to Bruce Jenner midway through his transition. (S)he got real chatty with me and it was a bit uncomfortable. I got kinda creeped out but once I got to the stand I was good. Good luck!

Comment

My son hunted the youth hunt last year the week after Christmas. We didn't see a deer until the middle of the last morning. There weren't many deer taken and one hog. It was assigned blind but I brought a pop up and I'm glad. Some of the other groups were complaining because they were getting busted by deer because the assigned blinds were some brush over stiff wire fencing with no top.

Bait it up good if they still allow it. We used corn with some BB2. Also used a cover scent.

Comment

Park has plenty of deer, but their ground blinds suck, bring you a pop up blind and corn we did not get anything but did see deer, just too far for my son to shoot(150 yards), had a nice 8 point at 10 yards eating corn!

Comment

Which hunt date did you draw? I drew Dec 2-4

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
            Which hunt date did you draw? I drew Dec 2-4
            me too.
            thanks the info guys.

do they take you out and pick you up, or am I responsible for transportation to and from the blind?

Comment

The lady at the park said they drop you off and pick you up.

Comment

They took us to our stand the first time, after that we came and went as we wanted to.

Comment

good luck guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X