Crazy or stupid: Going DIY for first elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy or stupid: Going DIY for first elk hunt

I have hunted, hiked, and backpacked my whole life (33 now) but have yet to chase elk. The subject fascinates me and I really have the itch to try it now. I've spent a lot of time in the Gunnison-Crested Butte area over the years so I'd like to hunt those units (54 & 55) since I'm familiar with it and have connections there. These units are OTC for bow and don't require points for rifle. Muzzleloader takes ~4 years. I can't see shelling out $5000 for a guided hunt anytime soon, even though I know that would increase (though not ensure) my odds for success. I also realize a guide would be the easiest way to learn the ropes, but am not sure it's worth that money right now.

All that said, I have been doing a lot of research over the past couple months leading up to when the applications open this spring. I'm still mulling it over but wanted to hear from any other people who have considered or tried the same thing. From the outset, I know this is a huge challenge and the odds of bringing home a big bull are low. It's all about the experience for me, not the trophy.

I know this is crazy, but is it also stupid?

Only one way to find out there, hotrod

Comment

I think your doing it right. Have fun

Comment

Go and have fun.

Better to go to an area where previous bow hunters can tell you there are elk that time of year. Finding the right area is the hard part. Places that hold elk on public lands are 10x harder to find than good fishing holes.

Comment

Went DIY myself for my first elk hunting this year. Buddy shot a 5x5 and I shot a cow with a recurve but didn't recover. Had an absolute blast.

Comment

Go for it. Just accept the fact that your chances of coming home with any elk are slim. Use it as a learning experience. Any time spent in the Rockies is not time wasted.

Comment

Sounds like a blast, regardless of results.

Comment

I did it last year. Two of us who had never gone before. I had never even been to Colorado. We did pretty good and learned a whole lot more on our own than we would have with a guide.

If you really care about the experience, I don't see how there could be a better way to go.

Comment

If you have hiked the area and are familiar with it, I'd say you're ahead in the game of a first time DIYer. My vote is for you to go and do it.

How many days you thinking of hunting?

Comment

Let me see......... Colorado, mountains, hunting. Uh, go!
                    Now, will you get something? Probably not. Might you get something? Yes. But you'll be there for the experience. Enjoy

Comment

I'm looking at a 5-day hunt. Drive all day Saturday, acclimate Sunday, hike in/acclimate Monday, hunt through Friday, come out Saturday.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Comment

I think I would be doing the same thing if I could find the time and resources to make the hunt happen.

Good luck bud!

Comment

Its just like so many other things. Its very satisfying doing it the hard way and working your way down the learning curve. Its very possible to get an elk your first few trips, but odds are low. Finding the elk is the hardest part to me. You'll learn so much and push your way down that learning curve so much faster going with an experienced person or by paying a guide. I've never paid a guide but was blessed with meeting someone that had years and years of experience and it no doubt took years off of the learning curve. I wouldnt discount the guide idea, its not saying you have to use them forever but the first trip or two would be a great idea.

Comment

Been on a bunch of backpack and horseback elk hunts with pretty good success. Get away form the walk in's, 4 wheelers and weekend hunters and you can have success. Lot's of work, but a lot of fun and satisfaction.

Comment

It's only stupid if you do it alone. Otherwise, I don't see a downside.

Comment

Working...
                              X