Shooting Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Form

Does anyone here have a complete breakdown guide on proper shooting form?

I have, for as long as I can remember, always had trouble with settling my pin directly on the target when I am at full draw. For some reason, my pin always wants to settle just below the target and it bothers me. usually, i just lean back, or lift my arm right before release...but this sometimes, maybe 5% of the time, produces a shot outside the grouping and I know its because i "flinched" or "jerked".

I want my pin to settle directly on the target, so I've been trying to engage my core a bit more while at full draw, instead of leaning back, I tighten my obliques to help elevate the pin to sit directly on target.

I think I learned improper form as a kid while trying to shoot a bow that was too heavy/difficult to draw, and it never left me.

any tips on how to get my left arm (bow arm) to stay up on target and not drift below?

Originally posted by topshot View Post
    Does anyone here have a complete breakdown guide on proper shooting form?

I have, for as long as I can remember, always had trouble with settling my pin directly on the target when I am at full draw. For some reason, my pin always wants to settle just below the target and it bothers me. usually, i just lean back, or lift my arm right before release...but this sometimes, maybe 5% of the time, produces a shot outside the grouping and I know its because i "flinched" or "jerked".

I want my pin to settle directly on the target, so I've been trying to engage my core a bit more while at full draw, instead of leaning back, I tighten my obliques to help elevate the pin to sit directly on target.

I think I learned improper form as a kid while trying to shoot a bow that was too heavy/difficult to draw, and it never left me.

any tips on how to get my left arm (bow arm) to stay up on target and not drift below?

Try holding on the x and not releasing an arrow, let down and repeat as much as you want, I did this and it helped when I had the same problem you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get on youtube and watch every video John Dudley has made on the subject. You also need to make sure your bow fits you correctly, draw length, peep height, etc.

Comment

Might try putting more weight on your front foot. It can't hurt and I know it works wonders for helping steady your form.

Comment

How's you stance? I changed my stance up when I was shooting 70yds.....tightened my groups up by 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            How's you stance? I changed my stance up when I was shooting 70yds.....tightened my groups up by 50%.

This.

Had a fella give my 14 year old some pointers at Texas Archery sunday. He was drilling 50 yard bulls so I tried it. Danged if it didnt help at long range me as well.

He basically said to draw eyes closed and come to rest. Open your eyes and see which side of the riser your target is on. If on the right, move both feet left a hair (almost circular). If on the left side of riser move feet right. Repeat till is centered and keep that stance.

It helped my pin 'float' at 50 yards + tremendously. It no longer moves every direction. I only have to worry up and down. Confidence inside 40 boosted

Comment

Study every detail of this image to learn perfect form

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1604.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24510517

Comment

Sounds like target panic not a form issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Study every detail of this image to learn perfect form

[ATTACH]872494[/ATTACH]
                  Butter face.

Comment

I struggle with the same thing shooting paper, but not on game. The "aim, let down, repeat" routine helped me a great deal, as well as blank baling--standing close to the target and shooting arrow after arrow with my eyes closed, concentrating on a surprise release.

Comment

May not be form and could be helped by putting a good stabilizer system in your bow. Less weight up front and more on the back in a downward angle to help bring the bow up.

Comment

whats wrong with holding the pin just below target.

my eyes like to lolipop the target. it's much easier for me to not fight that desire and just settle the pin just below the impact spot and then work on my release.

I'm not going to say i'm a target shooter or even in the upper end of accuracy . . . . that said I'm not a bad shot. If you are into shooting paper my advice probably sucks.

but if you are killing animals i've not ever had an issue with lollipoping the target. . . my issues have always come from trying to put the pin right on where i want to impact.

Comment

I used to do the exact same thing and find myself doing it from time to time.

What I did at first was make myself drop down from the top, instead of rising up from below.
                          I also spent a lot of time practicing aiming without shooting.
                          Now I usually do a mental count to 3 once I'm on target before I think about releasing. That keeps me from snap-shooting.

Comment

thanks for all the good tips fellas.

Comment

Your problem is between your ears, not your form. Call it what you want, I call it target panic. A few suggestions: draw your bow above the target and lower your pin on the target, gravity is your friend. Stop shooting at distance for awhile. Instead, get an NFAA 5 spot target and shoot a 60x game at 5 yards. The idea of this is to train your eyes and brain to focus on the center of the x and that it's ok to have your pin floating in the center of the x without you getting all wound up about it. Bury all 60 shots into the center of the x and keep doing this for as many games as it takes for you to become comfortable...then do it at 10 yards, 15 yards and then 20 yards. Don't let yourself advance yardage without shooting at least 3 perfect 60x games in a row at each distance. Challenge yourself to do this and you will forget all about that silly pin

Comment

Working...
                              X