What is this stuff ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this stuff ???

And how do you get rid of it. Sorry its not the best pic, but it is growing (taking over) my father-in-laws pond. He has about a .5-.75 acre pond and this stuff is all over it. How do ya get rid of it ????
    Attached Files

I believe tractor supply has a product
    But there will be plenty of advise shortly

Comment

Here's a good source to figure out what it is and how to control or get rid of it.

Choose your type of aquatic plant: Algae and Other Plankton, Floating Plants, Submerged Plants, and Emergent Plants.

Comment

Learn more about Coontail. View plant photos, descriptions, maps, treatment options, and more.

Looks like coontail. Have it in my pond. The ducks love it.

Comment

Originally posted by neuman32 View Post
          http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-iden...ndex/coontail/

Coontail was my first thought too mixed in with an algae.

Tie a frog on your your pole and see what you catch.

Comment

Coontail. There's a lot of stuff that gets rid of it but anything you use will put a ton of oxygen out of the water. It's a really resourceful aquatic vegetation if you fish in the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd leave it

Comment

Go to Atwood's and get a bucket of Pondmaster Copper Sulfate crystals, if you don't eat fish out of your pond this will work very well. Don't do more than 1/4 of the tank every 10 days. Do to much at once and it will kill your fish from lack of oxygen. I was trying to be eco friendly and used Diquat recommend by a fish biologist and you can hardly tell it even killed any coontail.

Comment

Originally posted by neuman32 View Post
                  http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-iden...ndex/coontail/

I agree, think it is coontail as well. Having "some" in the pond would be beneficial for the fish, but the whole **** pond is covered in it from top to bottom. You can't fish it and even though it is full of fish I don't know how they even swim around in the pond there is so much of it. Need to figure out how to get rid of most of it and control it some way.

Comment

If the pond is not too big just drag a harrow thru it a few times to open some spots up and then start treating small patches with the pond chemicals.
                    I see them do this at a local city park pond near me.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      I agree, think it is coontail as well. Having "some" in the pond would be beneficial for the fish, but the whole **** pond is covered in it from top to bottom. You can't fish it and even though it is full of fish I don't know how they even swim around in the pond there is so much of it. Need to figure out how to get rid of most of it and control it some way.
                      Fish it all the time, actually one of my favorite ways to fish.

Senko style worm rigged seedless, no weight. If the coontail and algae have formed a mat on the surface hop that worm along the top of the mat and let it fall into the holes. Guaranteed bite on 7 outta 10 holes.(maybe more!)

It it's not formed a mat, pop it just along the tops of the grass, fish will hit it on the fall or at the fringe/edge

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                        Go to Atwood's and get a bucket of Pondmaster Copper Sulfate crystals, if you don't eat fish out of your pond this will work very well. Don't do more than 1/4 of the tank every 10 days. Do to much at once and it will kill your fish from lack of oxygen. I was trying to be eco friendly and used Diquat recommend by a fish biologist and you can hardly tell it even killed any coontail.
                        x10 be REALY CAREFUL at first... be better to make MORE treatments then kill everything out in one go(including all fish)

Comment

Years back my Dad had a camp on a private lake. We would take a strand of barbed wire and and pull it around in a big circle, with a boat, then tie it to the truck and drag it out.

We attached a tow chain in the middle to the barb wire to help it sink down near the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Fish it all the time, actually one of my favorite ways to fish.

Senko style worm rigged seedless, no weight. If the coontail and algae have formed a mat on the surface hop that worm along the top of the mat and let it fall into the holes. Guaranteed bite on 7 outta 10 holes.(maybe more!)

It it's not formed a mat, pop it just along the tops of the grass, fish will hit it on the fall or at the fringe/edge
                            We had an acre pond on old family property and would do just that. Caught a lot of bass just bouncing a worm up and down the water column in the holes.

Some years the stuff was bad, others not so much. We just rolled with it as a necessary evil as that pond consistently produced fish year after year.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X