Question for the Game Cam users.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Game Cam users.

I have a Macbook Pro that I've been using for the last 8-10 years to download my TC pics. It was a good run but the Macbook is toast and I'm about to enter the market for a new laptop/tablet that is used for my hunting pictures only. I'm not wanting to break the bank and buy a $1200.00 machine, I just want something that allows me to download a card with 3000 or so pictures on it and go through them fairly quickly. We have 5 cameras out at a time for the most part, so being able to go through 15-20 thousand pictures quickly is a big deal for me...I know a lot of you guys run a bunch of cameras at a time so I'm just looking for some input as to what works for you.

^The exact thing happened to me this year. In for answers.

Comment

I went to the electronic store in Longview and bought a refurbished laptop with starter windows for $50. I use it strictly for checking cameras. It's a compact laptop too, so it makes it easier

Comment

Maybe a Chromebook or something similar? I got a feeling my $1200 laptop on its way out also. Thank God I get a chromebook for work I can use

Comment

Avoid windows 10. I absolutely hate how it handles pictures. If you only have one cam it might not be bad, but the way it sorts pictures from multiple cams sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            Avoid windows 10. I absolutely hate how it handles pictures. If you only have one cam it might not be bad, but the way it sorts pictures from multiple cams sucks.
            How does it sort the pics?

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
              How does it sort the pics?
              First, it doesn't create a new file when you start loading pictures. Window 7 would automatically create a new file with the date as the name. Windows 10 puts them in the last place you uploaded to unless you change it.

It puts each month into a different file.

Then it can not distinguish the cameras from each other.

Where in windows 7 you can go through the pictures in the order it was taken, card by card, windows 10 just jumbles all the pictures from each card together. You can sort by date, or file name etc, but when you have multiple cameras that are the same model and they name the files the same it screws it all up. I haven't found an efficient way to do it yet.

On top of all that, if you go to "pictures" to look at it, it brings up this crappy gallery display that sucks instead of just listing the files like it should.

Comment

Are you downloading all the pictures onto your computer each time? Why not just 'preview' them and avoid the download and taking up all that space?

Comment

I'm sure there are settings that can be changed to alleviate some of this, I just haven't taken the time to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                    Are you downloading all the pictures onto your computer each time? Why not just 'preview' them and avoid the download and taking up all that space?
                    I download all of them so that I can scan through them to make sure I don't miss anything... I save the ones I want to a file for that particular stand, and then delete all the pictures and clear the card.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      I download all of them so that I can scan through them to make sure I don't miss anything... I save the ones I want to a file for that particular stand, and then delete all the pictures and clear the card.
                      Why not just preview all of them and then grab the ones you want to keep as you see them and drop them into a folder? 'Preview' still allows you to go through all of the pictures individually or as thumbnails at your leisure as long as the SD card is in your computer.

** I think it's called 'preview' on a Mac. I'm on Windows and plug in the SD card, view files on SD card and as I come across good pics I drag and drop them into a file. Eject SD card and then delete all files via gamecam. This system works for me and I avoid downloading thousands of pics to my computer (save time and data) but still keep the ones I want.
                      Last edited by Patton; 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I've just used a cheap laptop to preview all my pics on each card. I can use the largest size thumbnail and scroll through and view like 9 pics at a time. If something catches my eye, I can quickly open the pic to full screen size and if I want to save it, I drag the pic over to a file folder on the desktop.

I can go though a couple thousand pics in about 5 min I reckon.

I haven't downloaded an sd card full of pics to my computer in years and years.

Have I missed something on a pic before? Probably

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                          Why not just preview all of them and then grab the ones you want to keep as you see them and drop them into a folder? 'Preview' still allows you to go through all of the pictures individually or as thumbnails at your leisure as long as the SD card is in your computer.

** I think it's called 'preview' on a Mac. I'm on Windows and plug in the SD card, view files on SD card and as I come across good pics I drag and drop them into a file. Eject SD card and then delete all files via gamecam. This system works for me and I avoid downloading thousands of pics to my computer (save time and data) but still keep the ones I want.

This is what I'm after... I was using Iphoto to look through them but I don't need that particular function, if i can just drag the ones i want to a file and save them without having to download that is ideal..

Does anyone use a tablet for this? I'm thinking about just buying a tablet and being done with it.

Comment

I download them all, go through each photo individually, "favorite" the photos I want to keep, and discard the rest. It takes a while, but worth the effort of not potentially throwing away a good photo.

Comment

I went to a pawn shop and found a $50 laptop.

Comment

Working...
                              X