Weld or use one of the fix it kits.

Steel, or aluminum?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
      Steel, or aluminum?
      Steel

Did not look like rust..

I think I took a picture..
      Last edited by Stan R; 05-05-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
        Steel

Did not look like rust..

I think I took a picture..

I chipped the paint off. It looked like it was hit?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3177.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	24538949

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it a fuel transfer tank? Pressurized? Is the hole on the top, bottom?

Comment

I would weld it but I’m sure the epoxy fuel tank repair stuff will work too

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
              Is it a fuel transfer tank? Pressurized? Is the hole on the top, bottom?
              Yes fuel tank that hold diesel for my tractor

Bottom edge not pressurized

It's one of these.

Comment

I wouldn’t weld on that if it’s had diesel in it - some will tell you they’ve done it by purging the tank with CO2, dry ice, etc. but they’ve just been lucky. I’d try to line the tank or use some kind of epoxy if you want to try and save it.

...just not worth the risk in my opinion to grind/weld. For your safety I’d buy a new tank for $300 and move on.

Comment

I wouldn’t weld on that if it’s had diesel in it - some will tell you they’ve done it by purging the tank with CO2, dry ice, etc. but they’ve just been lucky. I’d try to line the tank or use some kind of epoxy if you want to try and save it.

...just not worth the risk in my opinion to grind/weld. For your safety I’d buy a new tank for $300 and move on.
                  Already bought a new tank.

They make this kit and might work? do have to sand the paint off...

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                    Already bought a new tank.

They make this kit and might work? do have to sand the paint off...

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem...pair%20Kit-150
                    I don’t know anything about that stuff but everything I’ve used from Devcon has been great stuff.

I’d wire brush the area by hand - if the hole is small and you’re confident it’s rust free it might just work.

Comment

I already got the kit and will try it once I get the tank emptied.

Comment

Your confusing diesel with gas.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Your confusing diesel with gas.
                          No Sir, I’m not. The auto ignition point of diesel is around 400 degrees F at atmospheric pressure. I’ve seen plenty of guys put out cigarettes and other flames in diesel but that’s no where near the auto ignition temperature.

Welding could easily heat up the fluid to 400 degrees F and ignite said fuel.

Like I said I know lots of guys have welded on diesel tanks and lived to tell the story - but it’s not worth the risk.

Edit: For those who are really interested in this - google "flash point" and read up on that. Then google "auto ignition". It's different mechanisms of combustible stuff catching on fire.
                          Last edited by StrayDog; 05-06-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Do not weld on a tank that had diesel in it. Makes for a hell of a explosion!!!!!!

Comment

The auto ignition for gas is higher than diesel.

Diesel 410 F

Gasoline 536 F

You would have thought it would be opposite.

Comment

Working...
                              X